• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which octane rated fuel do you use?

Reaction score
As I've had some problems with my B1250 fuel tank rusting, which Suzuki blamed on poor fuel quality: ie high water content in the fuel, it's prompted me to ask what octane rated ULP do you use in your Bandit?

I've religiously stuck to using 91 RON ULP in my Bandit from the same busy service station for just over 2 yrs. I was advised by the dealer to use 91 RON ULP and it is also specified for use in the B1250 Owners Manual.

When I first purchased my Bandit, I happened by chance to have a conversation with an Aussie Suzuki Tech Rep regarding the use of 91 RON versus 95 RON ULP. He told me that I was wasting my money on premium quality fuel and that the B1250 will run quite happily on 91 RON. Maybe this is the case if you could assure the quality?

I've always been suspect of the quality of 91 RON ULP and have never used anything less than 95 RON ULP in my previous bikes. After having dramas with corrosion in my fuel tank and the subsequent replacement of 2 fuel pumps, I'm beggining to think that I should be running premium fuel in the B1250 not 91 RON ULP. I'm thinking that by using 95 RON ULP I might be able to overcome some of the fuel contamination issues I'm having.

I couldn't imagine that 95 RON ULP would do any harm, but I'm certainly no mechanical guru. I'd be very interested to hear what type of fuel you use and why.

I only use 98 octane whenever I can get it.
Stay away from Shell fuel though, apparently (according to the local bike shops) there's an additive in it that messes with motorcycle fuel injection systems.

Since I've not heard any pinging from low octane gas so far, I use the cheapest at any brand pumps I stop at. 87 RON here in the states is the average low priced gas but seeing 86 stuff out here in West Texas and New Mexico. Don't know if it's figured the same way in Australia.

Generally I use 95 or 98 in the bikes.

I usually use BP due mainly to it always being the best in my old 74 BMW (now long gone [RIP :( ], she was fussy about fuels...)

Use 91 in the toyota, it doesn't seem to mind.

I do, however, keep meaning to shove an inspection mirror into my tank and have a look, since you have raised the point.:eek2:

Generally I use 95 or 98 in the bikes.

I usually use BP due mainly to it always being the best in my old 74 BMW (now long gone [RIP :( ], she was fussy about fuels...)

Use 91 in the toyota, it doesn't seem to mind.

I do, however, keep meaning to shove an inspection mirror into my tank and have a look, since you have raised the point.:eek2:

I've always used 95 in my past bikes and even in my wife's GPX 250. I was convinced to use 91 by the dealer.....which I regret. :doh:

I had almost exclusively stuck to Caltex 91......but I'm going to start using BP 95. Wouldn't use Shell as Sloth has mentioned, I've also heard it isn't good for FI bikes.

Checking the tank internally for corrosion is now on my regular B1250 maintenance list!

I haven't really had any problems with any fuels in the Bandit.

I usually steer away from Shell due to reports from friends about it eating the rubbers in the fuel system (note: This was the old Shell 98, not the current v-power). Old fobias die hard, I suppose.

I do regularly use a fuel cleaner (Flashlube, the blue one. $20 for 1ltr at Repco. It is a concentrate, 1ml per ltr of fuel. As you can imagine, a 1ltr bottle lasts a while)

87 RON here in the states is the average low priced gas but seeing 86 stuff out here in West Texas and New Mexico. Don't know if it's figured the same way in Australia.

Wow, you can't get less than 91 RON here in Australia. I think its worked out the same. What's the highest octane rating they sell in the USA?

Run 87 in the wing and 89 in the GS.

I use Shell and Murphy. Dodge truck has direct injection and a Hemi, I need to run mid or premium after a few tanks of regular. Idles rough, better mileage with the upper grades than with regular. My Voyager just doesn't care, 60,000 plus. I avoid Exxon as they use to much alcohol in their fuels. Runs poorly and gets poor mileage. Even the Voyager gets worse mileage with their fuels. I get better with off brand regular than with mid grade or better Exxon.

I use 87 octane rated gas here in the states and my Bandit runs great from near sea level up to over 10,000 ft, and unless your engine is experiancing detonation from to low an octane gasoline you are wasting your money IMHO buying the higher grades of gas.

Some bikes with compression ratio's of 13:1 and higher need to run higher octane gas so as not to cause detonation, but the Bandits relatively low compression ratio of 10.5:1 doesn't really require it.

I've been forced on several occasions to put in 93 octane gas as thats all that was available and I did not percieve any improvement in performance over 87 octane gas. :rider:

A likely source of moisture in gas would be the stations storage tank or distributors above ground tanks. Water is heavier than petrol so it sits in the bottom and if your unlucky enough to fill your tank when the storage tank is near empty then that can introduce water or rust crud and sediment that's been laying in the bottom. One occasion I was fueling up the truck and the pump started pumping air meaning the tank was empty to the pick up pipe. Not good! If your fuel has ethanol in it like nearly all of it now does in the states then it absorbs water but does no harm (same thing as methanol fuel dryer). Well, until it's reached saturation level and can't hold any more water. That's all I can say is good about ethanol. Short shelf life and it softens rubber on older vehicles not designed for it. Regular fuel cleaners also absorb water too.
If you ever see condensation on the outside of a tank then it's the same on the inside. Near empty tanks give more surface to collect moisture from humidity and especially near or below dew point. Bringing a cold vehicle into a warm garage can form a lot of moisture. After 25 years of snowmobiling I've learned a little about water in fuel. It can freeze and fuel starve a 2 stroke and burn her down faster than you can say what the 'heck'.
Low grade/ low octane fuel has the most energy content in BTU's as Dale has pointed out the Bandit or any motor that doesn't require (high compression) premium makes slightly more power with regular grade. Myself, I do stay away from low grade or no name gas simply because it lacks the better fuel additives that add a few cents to the wholesale cost. Mid grade works for me except in real hot temps I might run premium or a mix since most motors don't have detonation sensors or for stalling or surging caused by vapor lock.

Since I've not heard any pinging from low octane gas so far, I use the cheapest at any brand pumps I stop at. 87 RON here in the states is the average low priced gas but seeing 86 stuff out here in West Texas and New Mexico. Don't know if it's figured the same way in Australia.

+1. I use whatever is cheap, where ever I stop. I've never had any problems with it pinging or anything. Even on my trip out West, 86 never gave me any problems.

Funny you guys in Oz tend to steer away from Shell. I've never heard that over here and for whatever reason (I have zero reason to think it's better fuel) I prefer Shell if the option is available. Funny how a little bit of rumor will steer you towards/away a particular brand when I imagine they're all very, very similar.

trey

Wow, you can't get less than 91 RON here in Australia. I think its worked out the same. What's the highest octane rating they sell in the USA?
When I move to the US from Spain I wonder the same. I think it is a matter on how the ratting is calculated.
Europe uses RON wile US uses the average between RON and MON. In the US pumps you will see R+M/2 reference besides the octane rating

this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90–91 US (R+M)/2, and deliver 98 (RON), 99 or 100 (RON) labeled as Super Unleaded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

As far as the original question I use the cheapest. Even on the CBR wich is supposedly high compression I use regular. Water content has nothing to do with octane rattings. That is more a gas station ratting issue.

Excellent clarification posting, Raul. :zen:

A few decades ago I actually did fuel octane testing...interesting work for a younger guy. ;-)

I use 87 octane rated gas here in the states and my Bandit runs great from near sea level up to over 10,000 ft, and unless your engine is experiencing detonation from to low an octane gasoline you are wasting your money IMHO buying the higher grades of gas.

100% +1 :sun: (why waste money??)

I avoid oxygenated fuels (added alcohol) too.

unfortunately, in TX, all the major metro areas are required to sell Ethanol based fuels (10%+) Ethanol is hydrophylic and will absorb moisture out of the air--just leave an open container of ethanol laced gas out for a day and see what happens.

I jus' go ahead and try different fuel ratings in my different bikes..... and if it ain't pinging, I run the lowest fuel rating possible. But I prefer the major brand names, and buy into the sales pitch that Chevron has the Techron additive.

In the Bandit, I run the lowest fuel rating available.... favoring 76 or Chevron but not running from the cheaper brand names. As preventive maintenance, I run five ounces of Seafoam through a full tank every 2,000+- miles. It's a marine additive designed to remove moisture from the fuel system.... and does a pretty good job of treating the fuel injection system.

When I get to fill up with gas in Nevada (the stuff doesn't have the CA additives), my performance increases and my gas mileage goes up.... go figure.
When I put the higher rating octane gasolines in the Bandit here in CA, I notice NOTHING with regard to performance or mileage.

I'm not positive about elsewhere, but up here in the northeast all gas brands comes from the same pipeline. Doesn't matter what brand you buy all the tankers fill up from the same source. I think this is the same across most if not all of the US, I saw a show about it on the History Channel. The quote, if I remember right was, "the only difference in the fuels is the advertising":doh:.

There's a station here in Lakeland..Sunoco. They actually have a pump for 100+ octane.. only $7.50 a gallon:eek2: (normal 87 is running about $2.55 at this time.)
I used mid grade in my 1200 (89) for years with no problems. I use 87 in my 1250..also no problems.
Shotrod

I'm not positive about elsewhere, but up here in the northeast all gas brands comes from the same pipeline. Doesn't matter what brand you buy all the tankers fill up from the same source. I think this is the same across most if not all of the US, I saw a show about it on the History Channel. The quote, if I remember right was, "the only difference in the fuels is the advertising":doh:.

:tab This is partially true. It is true that various brands of gas travel through the same pipelines. However, that gas typically has no additives in it yet. So basically, gas is gas regardless of who refines it. My understanding is that the additives are added after the gas has gone through the lines. It is the particular additives each brand adds that makes the difference (if in fact there is any measurable difference).

:tab There is much confusion about octane in gas. The VAST majority of people believe that higher octane gas is better than low octane gas. Because they want to use "the best" for their precious vehicles, they will pay extra for the Premium or Super. This is the amazing result of marketing hype over substantive content. If you have three products called, Regular, Premium, and Super, that is pretty much all people are going to pay attention too. Unless they are chemists or motorheads, they are not likely to take five minutes to learn about octane, what it does, and what the ratings really mean. It kind of reminds me about the commercial in the RoboCop movie where they are advertising the New 6000 SUX car that gets something like 6mpg :lol2: Put a big number or a fancy name on it, and people will pay a premium for it, even if it is junk!

:tab When I had my 98 & 01 VFR's, if I ever ran the 93 instead of the 87, I usually got about 3-4 less mpg and the bike made noticeably less power. That is to be expected since the higher octane content robs the fuel of energy content. The same is true now when I run gas with ethanol in it in my Vstrom 650 or KLR 650. Both get worse mpg and just don't seem to run as well. Fortunately, I live out in the sticks and rarely have to mess with the ethanol laced gas.

:tab I have never really understood brand loyalty for gas. I have used Exxon, BP, Shell, Diamond Shamrock (now Valero), Texaco, Phillips, Conoco, many others and even Citgo on occasion and have NEVER had any problems with the fuels. The only times I have had problems have been when getting gas from an OLD station out in the boonies that likely has crud in their tanks. I basically get gas where it is cheapest. However, I will not drive across town to pay 2 cents less per gallon to fill up a 5-1/2 gallon bike tank or 15 gallon car tank.

WARNING WARNING - THIS THREAD HAS POTENTIAL TO CONFUSE -

Be very aware that octane ratings discussed in this thread are very VERY likely to confuse the heck out of some people. Any time people outside the US enter a discussion about octane, people reading must be very careful to look to see where a poster is when they consider that person's recommendation. If you want to know what octane to run, read your owner's manual and follow the recommendation for minimum octane to run IN YOUR MARKET.

I use BP Ultimate (98) whenever I can. One of my mates works for Weights and Measures, part of his job is testing fuel. He told me long ago that our regular unleaded (91 here in oz) is to be avoided 'cos it's rubbish. Premium, 95 or 98, is much cleaner fuel and octane is much more consistent.

Stay away from 91, use 95 or 98.

There's a station here in Lakeland..Sunoco. They actually have a pump for 100+ octane.. only $7.50 a gallon:eek2: (normal 87 is running about $2.55 at this time.)
I used mid grade in my 1200 (89) for years with no problems. I use 87 in my 1250..also no problems.
Shotrod

That 100 octane is LL100 what's commonly referred to as avgas used for some piston planes and race motors running high compression. It's many times run as a blend with gas or race fuel to make a cheaper version of race fuel. Avgas comes in different grades and contains TEL (lead) which costs money. I use 2 gallons of 100 to 8 of premium gas in a high compression 2 stroke. Depending how high the compression is some motors and turbo engines require straight race fuel up to 120 octane. Now were talking some real money when you get to nitromethane . $75 per gallon.
* Under full throttle, a dragster engine will consume 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy being produced.
* One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500 cubic-inch replica Dodge (actually Keith Black, etc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000 HP) than the first 4 rows at NASCAR's Daytona 500.

Back