• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bar End Weight Replacements

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I have never been a fan of the looks of bar end weights so I decided to come up with a solution that would clean up the look of the handlebars while still maintaining the vibration dampening effects of the bar end weights.

So after mulling over several options I decided to try this idea out first, which involved machining special internal bar end weights and new billet aluminum end caps for the bars.

The new internal bar end weights are heavier than the stock weights and have only about .001 clearance on the inside of the handlebar and are .701 diameter x 5" in lenght and are looked in place with a special Loctite retainer that’s used for cylindrical parts. I also put a thread in the end just in case I ever want to be able to remove them, and I also had to mill a .020 deep flat along the lenght of each internal weight to clear the weld on the inside of the bars.

The new billet end caps utilize the rubber expander from stock bar end weight assembly to hold them in place, and I really like the looks of them over the big bulbous stock bar end weights and I painted them with semi-gloss black paint.

I just finished installing them last night and plan to take it out for a vibration test this morning. My thinking is that placing a heavier weight inside the bars right where you grip the bars will work better at reducing vibration then the stock weight hanging off the end of the bars that is isolated from the bars by rubber bushings. :rider:

Handlebarendcaps001.jpg

Handlebarendcaps002.jpg

Leversandendcaps010.jpg

Leversandendcaps013.jpg

Those are really well done with some good thought put into it. I've been using Moose bar ends cause they fit thick walled aluminum bar ends but they have very little mass and I do get some high frequency vibes in the grips. How soon does the storefront open?

Very nice work EB. Looks very clean and sweet IMO

Be interesting reading your report on how it all went. Can't wait

Very nice work EB. Looks very clean and sweet IMO

Be interesting reading your report on how it all went. Can't wait

I took it out for an initial ride around tow yesterday and the vibes seem no worse that before maybe even a little smoother, so I'll be going on about a 125 mile ride out for some great mexican food out in Boron CA today and I'll report how they work when I get back. I sure do love looking down and not seeing those stock bar end weights.

I'm surprised no one noticed my shortened stock levers. :rider:

Leversandendcaps010.jpg

Noticed they were short, but didn't think they were stock until I was in the shed today looking at mine while I was putting on a set of frame sliders. Noticed the cutout at the back of the lever and thought of your bike for some reason. Now I know why.

I noticed the lever. Mine got shortened by accident when I tried to straighten one after the bike blew off the side stand in a storm. Then I put on some high buck shorty levers.
Came across a different bar end the other day- uses a spring?! Now let's keep the jokes clean...
http://www.vibranator.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Noticed they were short, but didn't think they were stock until I was in the shed today looking at mine while I was putting on a set of frame sliders. Noticed the cutout at the back of the lever and thought of your bike for some reason. Now I know why.

I cut the ends off of each lever at the factory break away point, then sanded a nice radius on the ends with my belt sander and polished them up.

I really like the feel of them and I can still get all 4 fingers on both levers and they look a lot better than stock and they really look good with the new handlebar end caps.

Now that I have shortened the stock levers and like how thay feel and look, I will probably at some point buy a set of the Pazzo shorty levers as I think that they have a better shape than the stock levers and look better. :rider:

Leversandendcaps010.jpg

I noticed the short levers right off. I hope you never crash, the ball is there for a reason to keep the lever from sticking into you in a crash. Show up at a racetrack with that and you won't be allowed to participate. I have cut the ball off on dirtbikes many times but I had barkbusters/handguards on so no worry about being stuck with one in a crash. Not trying to preach but in a crash you just never know where or what the bike is going to do. Same story on having a kickstand on a bike used on the track, a no no. BTW your bike looks super nice.;-)

Well after todays ride I am totally satisfied with the new Bar end weights, and I must say that them along with my new solid handlebar mounts actually feel as smooth or slightly smoother than the stock bar end weights and rubber mounted handlebars did, so alll in all I call it a big success and the bike feels much better without the sloppy rubber mounted bars.

I also love the shortened levers and after riding about 125 miles today with them I would never go back. :rider:

I noticed the short levers right off. I hope you never crash, the ball is there for a reason to keep the lever from sticking into you in a crash. Show up at a racetrack with that and you won't be allowed to participate. I have cut the ball off on dirtbikes many times but I had barkbusters/handguards on so no worry about being stuck with one in a crash. Not trying to preach but in a crash you just never know where or what the bike is going to do. Same story on having a kickstand on a bike used on the track, a no no. BTW your bike looks super nice.;-)

Roy,

Thanks for the concern but I have not had a lever ever come close to goring me in over 38 years of riding, but I will probably buy the shorty Pazzo lever at some point but not for the reasons you stated. :rider:

Back