• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MX exercise training?

Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Miller
Just curious if anyone has a link or some information to a good training circuit or program designed for MX riders? I feel that I'm fairly good shape, and can hold my own in regards to endurance... but I'd like to design a training circuit to work over my core to help my riding ability.

Thanks for any help in advance...

Tim...I think Racer X has a link on there. If not, I will find out where I found a few awhile back and let you know. Nothing beats seat time but other than that....cardio!!!

being new to dirt riding, I too considered myself to be in good shape, but after a hard day in the forest I realized that even having done the MS150, I wasn't in the shape you need to be in for dirt riding.

I'd say you'd need lots of cardio, do some low weight but really high rep squats for leg endurance. For cycleing I use a palatis [spelling?] between my back and the wall, and do squats with no weight. start small but work your way up to 4 sets of 100. eventually I was doing that holding a medicine ball, and it made a big difference in cycling, and I imagine it'll really help if you ride standing up a lot.

on an unrealted note, your KTM its a 250 4stroke right? what do you think of it?
I'm not in the market for a new bike yet, but after riding in the forest I find the idea of a 250 VERY appealing.

I think I'm looking for something more specific... something that actual MX pro-riders do for training, etc.

Richard... I looked into crossfit, but I already have a membership to 24hr., didn't want to inquire another membership for something... although it may be worth it for a month or two.

I think I'm looking for something more specific... something that actual MX pro-riders do for training, etc.

Richard... I looked into crossfit, but I already have a membership to 24hr., didn't want to inquire another membership for something... although it may be worth it for a month or two.

Back off the the "Blue Bell"

There is one company specificlly directed at MX and us.

Actually, I need some more blue bell... I'm still down about 20lbs from prior to my shoulder surgery.

Currently, I'm at 5'9" @ 155lbs., I can easily run 3 miles in under 30 minutes, or do a 20 or 30 minute stint on the bike in the trails with no problems... last session(again prior to shoulder surgery), I was doing STORM hare scrambles, which would be a 1 hour practice, 20 minutes break, and then a 1 hour balls out race. Cardio could be improved a little, but that's not my issue... I'm currently training for the half marathon.

Actually, I need some more blue bell... I'm still down about 20lbs from prior to my shoulder surgery.

Currently, I'm at 5'9" @ 155lbs., I can easily run 3 miles in under 30 minutes, or do a 20 or 30 minute stint on the bike in the trails with no problems... last session(again prior to shoulder surgery), I was doing STORM hare scrambles, which would be a 1 hour practice, 20 minutes break, and then a 1 hour balls out race. Cardio could be improved a little, but that's not my issue... I'm currently training for the half marathon.

Here it is..

http://www.manandmachine.com/

Greg Hammond

Concept2 CTS

Motor/Action Sports Training

Firefighter and Police sales

Customer Service

105A Industrial Park Drive

Morrisville, VT 05661

phone: 877-887-8014 (toll-free USA & Canada)

or 802-888-7971 ext 3074

fax: 802-888-6206

e-mail: gregh@concept2cts.com

web: www.concept2cts.com

You don't have to have a membership for cross fit. The exercise routines are the key and they're all on the website. You can do them at your own gym. Cost = $0.

Keep in mind, there are two types of "fitness" you need to address down here. Physical fitness is what you are refering to so far, and yes, that is a very big part of it. But don't forget about "heat fitness" (for a lack of a better term). I remember when I used to live on the beach playing competitive beach volleyball, and I would be amazed at how many of the guys that played would not be able to last through the day. These guys were in great shape, and worked out constantly, but they just weren't heat conditioned, and it was their downfall. The only way to gain this type of fitness, is to spend a lot of time out in the elements, but once you acheive this conditioning, it will make a huge difference in your performance.

A couple of cents worth:

Applying specific and cross training will accomplish what you want.
Endurance in the legs and torso can be accomplished with little to no weights:

1. Partial squats with isometric holds (time them and build up hold time to minutes -many minutes). Start with body weight. I know it sounds easy but try squatting down half way and holding it for 10 minutes. Goal is to increase lactic acid threshold and static strength. You can add weight for timed reps by filling empty plastic milk jugs and holding them by your side, even better fill 1/4 with water and hold them in front (not recommended post-shoulder surgery), which will increase arm/shoulder endurance, too.

2. Pick up cheap resistance cables/bands at Academy sports stores. You can do lots of things with them at home, even outside, as long as there's something to hook them to or loop them around. One good exercise is stand on them so that resistance is reached in a half squat position and holding the handles, then power up out of the squat and down. This is power and ballistic training and it's good for the nervous system. (think about how you balance the bike and yourself dynamically when riding over obstacles and bumps: flexed at the knees with your ankles and knees absorbing the up and down movement.)

3. Find something like a trampoline, Sitfit, or anything that you can stand on and practice balance. Start with two feet, squat up and down. Progress to one foot, then have someone throw you a ball (preferably a heavy one; ~ couple pounds). You are recruiting nervous system for reaction and response, and power. Even try squatting on it.

4. Train your core: abdominals and low back. Regular crunches are good, but also include dynamic movements that swing and twist. Watch a Highland Games competition and you'll get the idea, or get one of those big balls on the end of an elastic rope to toss all over the place. Woodchops are the best movement for this (works great for golfing, too), but requires cable stack or ingenuity (anyone figure out how to make a home cable stack, let me know....Hmmm, I think I have an idea....).

5. Upper back and shoulders are important, too. Along with forearms and wrists. Those resistant cables/bands can be used in many ways for that by pulling. Practice good form by keeping shoulders back rather than hunching over too much; too much stress on deltoids and your upper back and back of shoulders will start screaming at you after a few hours. Shoulder presses are good, too. Again, use any weight you can find at home (books, big cans of food, small children ;) )

6. I can't impress upon riders enough how important core strength is: everything from legs to arms relates to the core. When your core is strong and tight, the rest is loose and ready for reaction. Get a physio (or Swiss) ball; so many things you can do with one at home. From ball squats, push ups, ab crunches, low back hyperextensions and regular extensions, to a stretching aid.

As previous poster commented, if you expect to ride long hours in the heat, devote some time to training in the heat. Best way to help acclimate to exercising and sporting in it.

(Cents derived from my personal training of athletes, and a fellow weight lifter who is also a motocross competitor; we've talked long hours about his training and he's provided feedback on what works and what doesn't.).

Good luck and have fun out there.

Back