• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question about Jacket Styles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Can anyone offer some input on 1/2 length vs 3/4 length jackets, such as the Olympia Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Jacket vs. the Olympia Bushwacker 3/4 Mesh Tech Motorcycle Jacket. While I use those two as examples, I am less interested in a discussion of manufacturers than I am some input on which style is best suited for a given situation.

Does the style of bike, sport/tourer/standard/adventure and thus the seating position play a part in choosing the optimum jacket?

Does it fall strictly to a personal preference?

Does one style serve certain situations better and therefore they are both good situationally?

Is one more comfortable, more utilitarian, more protective from weather, etc?

Do 3/4 length jackets catch more air than the shorter 1/2 styles resulting in flapping?

While I have ridden many years I will admit that in the past I wore whatever jacket I wore on the street. I'd like to gear for the slide better while at the same time maintaining what comfort I can.

I am less worried about hard cold insulation as being a hunter I have learned the value of layering. Riding in Texas I don't see the bone chilling north, but do tolerate the Texas heat.

Thanks in advance for any insight, experience preference, science.

If you ride in the rain and or cold frequently 3/4 jackets seem to cut down on drafts and water running down your pants. Otherwise, go with your preference. My winter gear is 3/4 and my summer gear 1/2.

+1 for varying gear based on condition.

Summer jacket is 1/2 length cordura mesh. It's as thin as I care to get and if I had to would work with a liner for cooler conditions.

I'm not crazy about 3/4 length jackets as I don't like a lot of flapping about or bunching up in my lap area.

In winter I wear a 1 piece 'stich. I miss it. :(

Generally 3/4 length jackets are not very comfortable on sport/sport touring bikes (or any bike that has an even slight lean forward riding position). They tend to bunch up in the front in this position and get uncomfortable.

Other than that, what the others have said, and whatever you prefer.

My mesh jacket is half-length. My cooler/cold weather textile jacket is 3/4 length.
I'm a sport-touring rider so I can only address that riding position. In my experience, the 3/4 length doesn't bunch-up appreciably even with the quilted liner but, as Kurt says, does a better job of keeping the rain out of my pants.

My mesh jacket is half-length. My cooler/cold weather textile jacket is 3/4 length.
I'm a sport-touring rider so I can only address that riding position. In my experience, the 3/4 length doesn't bunch-up appreciably even with the quilted liner but, as Kurt says, does a better job of keeping the rain out of my pants.

+1...I own four 1/2 length jackets (two leather, two mesh) and one 3/4 length. I am most comfortable wearing the 3/4 length and it just seems to feel right on my ST1300. I'd wear the 3/4 year round if it just wasn't so dang hot in SE Texas.

If you ride in the rain and or cold frequently 3/4 jackets seem to cut down on drafts and water running down your pants. Otherwise, go with your preference. My winter gear is 3/4 and my summer gear 1/2.

+1

I do not have any problem with the 3/4 jacket even on the CBR. I guess it depends on the manufacturer and how is it cut.

Mine is a personal preference, all my jackets except the leather which I don't wear very often, are 3/4 basically. Shorter than most 3/4 though because I believe, they are womens cut. I don't like the 1/2 jacket because they don't feel comfortable on me and they tend to ride up. I'm a bit overweight and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Mine is a personal preference, all my jackets except the leather which I don't wear very often, are 3/4 basically. Shorter than most 3/4 though because I believe, they are womens cut. I don't like the 1/2 jacket because they don't feel comfortable on me and they tend to ride up. I'm a bit overweight and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Ditto on the whole thing. The "womens" cut is essentially hip-length but not a full 3/4, so it doesn't come down far enough in the front to bunch up but also covers up your lower back so there isn't a gap between jacket and pants (when not zipped together).

When I did have a mens 3/4 jacket, the zipper stopped at the waist and it had snaps going down the last few inches in the front. I could easily unsnap the last one at the bottom and it alleviated any bunching.

Ditto re everything said for me as well. If you go for a 3/4 length jacket and you ride a sport tourer look for a jacket with a front two way zip. I've found you can avoid a lot of the bunching up by undoing the zip a few inches from the bottom. Like everyone else, I have both, 1/2 length (leather & textile mesh) for summer & 3/4 length for winter.

I've worn 3/4 length for years on sport-touring, standard, and dual-sports. More specifically, and Aerostich Darien and the Olympia Bushwacker you mentioned on a BMW K75S, a BMW K75T, a BMW R1100RS, a BMW F650CS, and a BMW F650GS Dakar. (Man, I need to expand my horizons.) I've also worn a 1/2 length mesh jacket for a couple of summers. My observations pretty much mirror what others have already said: I find that the 3/4 length is better in the wet and bunching hasn't been an issue. Well, it was a minor issue with the Darien when I was riding the K75S, but not so much as to be uncomfortable. I'm a confirmed 3/4 guy.

:thumb:

this is what work s for me after years of experimenting. The blue jean jacket was the spring through fall gear before they came up with mesh. I think it just carried over in the length.

+1

My 3/4 (First Gear Kilimanjaro) is as (or more) comfortable as my 1/2 (Joe Rocket CBR mesh).

The next jacket I buy will probably be a 3/4 as the Kili's waterproofing leaves much to ask for. However, I would hesitate buying a mesh 3/4 because that would cut air flow to my mesh pants. YMMV.

Lee
(Rides a standard, BTW)

+1

I do not have any problem with the 3/4 jacket even on the CBR. I guess it depends on the manufacturer and how is it cut.

It also depends on how you are cut. Some of us bunch up more in front with or without a jacket.

That said, I prefer the 1/2 length for summer. My fall/winter jacket is 3/4 length. But I ride a cruiser.

Tried on a bunch of jackets this weekend. Olympia Airglide2, Bushwacker, Vanson Vent Max III, a Scorpion, a couple of Revit's, a Triumph jacket, ended up buying a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. Of all the jackets the Triumph and Joe Rocket fit me best. I would have purchased the Triumph but it cam in black only and I had already decided I didn't want a black jacket.I went with the 1/2 length thinking I may opt for a 3/4 when the weather turns cold. The way things are around here right now cold weather seems a long long way off.

Thanks to all who contributed their experiences. :chug:

Ay, and there's the rub. What may be the best fitting jacket for ME, may not be for YOU.

I sent back my Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 and bought a Honda branded JR mesh jacket (which is based on the JR Phx 4) because I didn't like the way the arm pits felt in the Phx 5. YMMV.

Hope you get miles and miles of wear out of the Phx 5.

Lee

Tried on a bunch of jackets this weekend. Olympia Airglide2, Bushwacker, Vanson Vent Max III, a Scorpion, a couple of Revit's, a Triumph jacket, ended up buying a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. Of all the jackets the Triumph and Joe Rocket fit me best. I would have purchased the Triumph but it cam in black only and I had already decided I didn't want a black jacket.I went with the 1/2 length thinking I may opt for a 3/4 when the weather turns cold. The way things are around here right now cold weather seems a long long way off.

Thanks to all who contributed their experiences. :chug:

+1...I own four 1/2 length jackets (two leather, two mesh) and one 3/4 length. I am most comfortable wearing the 3/4 length and it just seems to feel right on my ST1300. I'd wear the 3/4 year round if it just wasn't so dang hot in SE Texas.

What brand jacket was it that you and GC were sporting at Dave's ride for bbq in December? I'm thinking of looking for different options since too much Blue Bell has made my Technic's jacket a wee bit snug; or maybe it's because my wife washed it in hot water. :eek2:

What brand jacket was it that you and GC were sporting at Dave's ride for bbq in December?

My bet is on the hot water!!?!?

My 3/4 length jacket is a Hein Gericke Timbuktu, the regular version (not the "Air Jacket"). This is its third season (riding temps less than 80 degrees). It's advertised as waterproof. It keeps me dry in light and moderate rain (like the LDDave BBQ day and the rain last week in Houston), but shoulders and arms will get damp after riding a few miles in the spring SE Texas toad-strangler thunderstorms. Also, the shoulder armor on each side has broken into chunks this season...no worries, I salvaged armor from an old mess jacket...life is good.

I really love mine...would buy another when this needs replacement. Great jacket for price. Goggle Hein Gericke Timbuktu and you can usually find 'em at less than half suggested price.

I agree with most are saying. I go with 1/2 leather jackets on my sport bikes and 3/4 Cordura nylon with a water vapor barrier jacket for wet and winter riding. On all jackets (especially the 3/4 jackets and all textile lackets), make sure it has a sturdy waist draw string or belt arrangement to sinch you around the waist. One of the biggest problems with jackets is that they can be pulled up durring a crash and expose you to road rash. If the jacket does not fit tightley around your waist and mid section, it can easily be pulled up in a wreck. I've seen it happen. When fitting a jacket, try to pull it up over your belly. If you can, you don't want that one. I see a lot of people that want to choose riding apparrel mainly for the comfort aspect. Remember your buying this for protection. The jacket must fit snuggly in the waist and over all parts of your body to be of value in a crash. If it's loose enough to move the armor off of the areas it's suppose to protect, it won't do you much good upon impact. A correctly fitting jacket will be more restrictive than a comfortable loose fitting one, but the later will expose you to injury when it's pulled up. You have to accept this if you want to be protected. When was the last time you were sliding on the concrete, backwards at 70 mph. If and when it happens, you'll be glad you chose the correct fitting appearal. That applies to all of your riding gear. Helmet, boots, gloves, ect.. Spend the money and buy the best stuff you can afford. You'll be glad you did when you need it most. I have a saying " Wear what you want to have on your body when you get off the bike........... when you "get on it" to ride.
And don't forget saftey glasses. Protect your eyes. I won't ride without them, even behind the helmet shield. I wear clear at night and sunglasses during the day. I'm not about to take a bug or rock to the eye at freeway speed.

I'm very long waited and the 1/2 jackets always leave a gap between pants and jacket. 5'10" with 28" inseam. (And a large gut!)

Back