PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan 1700 Nomad

alister
07-22-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello everyone,

Took a 1700 Nomad on a test ride the other day, for an hour and a half. Liked it, but I found a lot, and I mean a lot, of buffeting on the top of the helmet and a lot of wind noise. I was wearing a full face Shoei TZR, and normally ride a Bandit 1250S. The dealer had the windscreen in the upper position and the sub-windscreen up high so there was an inch and a bit of space above the headlight.

The wind felt like a tap tap tap on top of the helmet at 80kph or 50 mph and a hammer at 60mph. The faster I went the worse it got. I read a review where a guy took it to an effortless 90mph and not mentioned anything like this. So the question is: Is this buffeting normal or should I ask them to adjust the windscreen back down and take it out again? I am 5' 10" with a 29" inseam.

Would appreciate your comments.

Thanks
alister

mikeofcontex
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
I have quite a bit of buffeting on my VTX. It got better after I leaned the shield back a bit. It is reported that much of the buffeting is coming from under the shield and running up your chest. I have lowers on my list of purchases... now where's that lotto ticket.

Wes
07-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Every bike on every bike forum is said to have problems with buffeting.

Common solutions are to adjust or replace the shield but you might be the only one it happens to due to your body and the bike not matching up. You might need to look at another ride, cut the shield, or try another helmet. I have tried on bikes that people complain about buffeting to recreate the problem and I have never been able too. I read yesterday how the concours 14 buffets so bad a rider was selling it. I have 4,000 miles on mine with no problems.

lonerider
07-22-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't have any experience with the Vulcan 1700, but my Vulcan 1600 Classic experienced a lot of buffeting until I installed lowers.