• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Raising The Idle Speed

A1A

Reaction score
Just curious as to how to raise my idle speed on my 2007 Bandit 1250S? Is this something that now has to be taken to the Dealer to accomplish?

:shock:

Idle speed is basically non-adjustable your ISC valve must not be functioning correctly or TB sync is off. The SDS will not reset the idle if it is out of the ISC rpm range which usually means your idling too high. To solve a too high idle sync the throttle bodies by 1st bottoming out all air screws on the Throttle bodies then proceed with the sync from there. It should idle at 1200 +/- 100 after that. You can manually idle it down with the SDS but it will not hold it once you exit the program only the ISC valve has control over the idle and it reads from the ECM's factory preset info. If your idling too low you most likely need to check the TB sync something is off.

BTW TB air screws out too far will lead to high idle. That is why you should start with them bottomed out or you will end up with one or more too far out which screws up the ISC valves preset idle range it is able to control.

My idle at cold start or warmed up engine is about 800 to 900 rpm. I was curious why this was happening. So I opened the gas cap for the heck of it and started the engine. The idle came up to about 1250 to 1300 rpm for a moment. Like 10 seconds and then stabilized at 1100 rpm. Which is the normal rpm for my bike. So I turned the engine off and closed the gas tank cap. Restarted the engine and idle was back to 900 rpm.
I'm wondering what is going on anyway. The bike is great through out the rpm range except the idle circuit.

:giveup:

Sounds like your gas tank vent is clogged. It is the small hole near gas cap and vents to a rubber tube under right rear of tank into the EVAP cannister. Rip that junk off and vent it to the ground. Apparently a line is clogged headed to the EVAP cannister causing a erant idle from the selonoid on EVAP can operation. Just guessing but if it were me I would remove it (I removed that junk on my bike along time ago). Just extend the hose from bottom of tank to the ground where the coolant over flow line is now. Leave the EVAP selonoid plugged up so no FI light will come on.

Thanks Roy,:clap:
Any chance you could post a diagram/drawing identifying what you just explained. 11,500 miles and never had the gas tank off.

In a hot climate, like FL or here in Austin, the charcoal canister does a good job of not filling your garage with gas fumes when the bike is put away hot.

That said, I haven't been bothered by it enough to put my EVAP system back in place.

Something to consider.

trey

Thanks Trey,

This is the first bike I've owned that has the charcoal canister. I do kind of miss the gas fume smell in the garage.:lol2:

:rider:

The Bike is now running the best I can remember. Last night I sprayed a little WD-40 just two squirts in the vent line next to the gas cap. This morning the bike runs perfect again. It idles at 1100-1150 rpm and as smooth as silk through out the rpm range.
I think I have probably been over filling the gas tank since I owned this bike. Probably had stale fuel blockage causing my low and erratic idle. Also the 1st and 2nd gear hiccup and lerching sensitivity has disappeared as well.
Man I love this bike!:rider:

Thanks to all who responded to this thread.:clap:

Back