• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

shooting buddies

Reaction score
Hey guys

I really like shooting motorsports and especially bike related races (MX, Enduro, supermoto, Superbike and so on) and I was thinking it can be fun to meet with other members from the forum which share the same passion and go shoot together.

You don't have to have the best camera out there - just a camera and some Patience. We can all share our knowledge and make our pictures better.

If anybody knows of any thing happening in the DFW area let me know and we'll try to meet. this can be our "bike-related" photography club :-)

see you soon

Mati

Wow. Just finished looking at your site. You do some very nice work. :clap:

Sounds like fun. Here's some of the stuff I've done. You are right, it's always fun.

http://www.leanangle.com/jalbum/2007/AMA Mid Ohio/index.html
http://www.leanangle.com/jalbum/Old Stuff/Last Man Standing/index.html

Some of the local enduro/hare scramble races are supposed to provide some good photo opportunities. One organization is TORO and I can't remember the other one locally.

It would be nice to get together with other folks and properly learn techniques.

And nevermind, I see you've alreayd found the TCCRA after looking at your site.

:doh: I thought you meant shooting WEAPONS! I got all excited there for a minute!
Hope y'all have fun with this, & PLEASE share the results!:sun:

Got all excited for a moment, than found out the outcome wasn't death.:eek2:

You're no fun, and I have 0 photo skills.

Sorry, can't play.

Larry
VFRrider

Thanks guys

Jasen - nice site you have there. I see you use Jalbum as well. Those pictures from the AMA are great - is there any thing like that in the area?

I visited a TCCRA and TORN races but I think they are on a summer brake. I would really like to visit places like the one's you have here

an MX race can also be a good place to shoot at. the problem that I found is that usually all the places or clubs have their own "home photographer" and they don't really like having other people shooting around (especially when they have "big" cameras) but hopefully we can make them understand this is just for fun.

When ever you guys know of anything post it here so we'll see how's not busy and can join us

Thanks again

Mati

Got all excited for a moment, than found out the outcome wasn't death.:eek2:

You're no fun, and I have 0 photo skills.

Sorry, can't play.

Larry
VFRrider

Know what - I think I might have just killed 2 birds here.. this thread will help photographers find other photographers to take pictures with and you guys find other members to go shooting "real bullet" with .Just make sure we don't plan for both groups to meet at the same time at the same place - I think there will be less photographers by the end of the day...

Those you linked to aren't my photos, but are photos of me rather. There are tracks around here, you can find the links on my page here -> http://www.leanangle.com/node/7

Everyone please disregard my superslow lap times on that page.

The ones I posted above were from Mid Ohio at the AMA races...nothing like that close to here. However, the best way to get close to the action at the CMRA races or the trackdays is to volunteer to be a cornerworker. Most of the tracks aren't set up very well for the spectators, especially those looking for good action shots. Not too much shooting time at the CMRA races as a CW because you really have to be on your toes since things are so high paced and such, especially during the mini endurance races, but the trackdays you can shoot pics so long as your paying attention. Heck, sometimes shooting pics helps you to pay attention.

Oh yea, jalbum is about the best I've found out there for what I like to do with my photos. I managed to turn a few people on to it here a little while back as well.

Hope all that helps.

funny this thread popped up, I got a buddy who likes to hunt and shoot pics. Lemme know where the first get together is and I'll let him know.
Perhaps you know him, Dick Cheney?

:rofl: I'll be here all week folks, and remember to tip your site administrator.

:doh: I thought you meant shooting WEAPONS! I got all excited there for a minute!
Hope y'all have fun with this, & PLEASE share the results!:sun:

Wow! I was thinking he was gonna run out of buddies pretty soon. :doh:

I'm with shootergal. I got all in a twist there for a minute until I found out they were shooting camers. Those things don't make enough noise for me to get sideways about. Yall have fun.

I think riding my bike someplace to shoot some .40 Smith caps would be an okay day, too.

Well I use to be into shooting cameras then found out I was better at shooting guns. :mrgreen: Now, If I combine the two.........

I can shoot some cameras with the guns. :lol2::duck::shooter::duck::lol2:

Thanks guys

Jasen - nice site you have there. I see you use Jalbum as well. Those pictures from the AMA are great - is there any thing like that in the area?

I visited a TCCRA and TORN races but I think they are on a summer brake. I would really like to visit places like the one's you have here

an MX race can also be a good place to shoot at. the problem that I found is that usually all the places or clubs have their own "home photographer" and they don't really like having other people shooting around (especially when they have "big" cameras) but hopefully we can make them understand this is just for fun.

When ever you guys know of anything post it here so we'll see how's not busy and can join us

Thanks again

Mati

TORN is doing the Morgan GP again in November. That could prove interesting as they end up riding through town as part of that course.

There are 2 off-road races going on this weekend - TORN are having a race in Edgewood and TCCRA are having a race in Iredell. for more info check out their websites:

TCCRA

TORN

most likely I'll head out to the TORN race. If you make down there as well come say hi.

P.S

I added a calendar on my website with the races I know of - here's a link

Well I had a great time though I so nobody I knew....

I experimented a lot so my "keepers" ratio is pretty low but I think that the they are better then usually...

Here's a link to the gallery

Some photos:

IMG_9810.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

Wow, you're good at panning. I've checked out your site before, really impressed.

I took a peek at your exif to see if I could find any kind of pattern or 'secret'... only to find that your settings varied pretty widely, even your program modes; I was expecting to at least find shutter priority to be a constant, but not so... although you did seem to land on 1/200-250 more often than not though. Seems high to me to get a good motion blur, but obviously not. Any particular reason you didn't use SP mode?

The second from the top is fantastic, IMO, although I'd personally crop him to be in the right 3rd, and this would also remove the distracting vine. How did you get the radial blur effect without moving backwards? Zooming during exposure? I'm guessing it also had something to do with the flash being fired on this one?

I haven't had much experience with panning; it's a tough technique for me to practice because I refuse to wear out my camera shooting traffic like some do, lol. I need to shoot something that I want to shoot... guess I'm just not dedicated enough :-P. I tried going to a track day for a Porsche club a while back, but I wasn't allowed past the paddocks. I tried for a little while at 200mm (my max focal length), but the location sucked and I had very few remotely acceptable results.

My only somewhat-successful attempt was when I was shooting a senior for my wife. He's a son of a friend of mine and wanted some shots of himself in his cap and gown riding his bike. My wife wanted me to do this part of the senior shoot since she thought I'd have a better eye for motorsports photography, although everything I do is static ( link ). Scroll down 'til you see them: Wife's photo blog
All shot between 12-24mm at 800-1600 ISO with a flash at sunset.

Anyway, if you ever shoot at an event closer to Austin, I'd like to meet-up and talk panning. Do you ever have a problem getting close to the course?

Last edited:
Casey

Let me start by complimenting your website - very nice indeed. I was never too much of an artist - more of a documentary type of photographer but your gallery is beautiful.

I think the shoots of the Senior turned out great - I especially like the second one from the top. by the way, what gear do you use?

Down to your questions:

1.program mode - you are right and the most used program is the shutter priority buy there are times when I feel the action is too fast and then I like to set every thing manual. my feeling is that it takes some of the workload from the camera and helps the AutoFocus to be quicker. I know it sounds like an urban myth but It works for me.

2.Shutter speed. this varies by the focal length, the distance from the object, his direction (towards you or crossing you) his speed and the effect you're trying to achieve. if it is "just" to show motion then you can show the wheel turning from 1/500 but most of the rest of the picture will be frizzed. if you want to do "parallel" panning you can get good results starting with 1/320 but if you want to get the "extra" blur you will have to go to 1/200 and below. the problem here is that it will be much to get a sharp image for once since the shutter speed is slower and therefor "freezes" less of the action the second reason is that it will be harder to focus since the aperture is smaller therefor transmitting less light to the focus system.

in the woods I use a bit higher shutter speed since the trees are close by and I can blur them pretty good by only panning the camera. if I'll use a too slow shutter speed the raider him self will be too blurred. when out side, and with no close by "still" images (which we use to emphasis the motion) we need to some time use a slower shutter speed.

The reason I change my shutter speed so often is because I regularly check my image on my LCD - if they are not sharp enough I speed it up - if they are not blurred enough I slow it done ..

by the way - the hardest panning IMO is when they are moving ion 30 degrees towards you like in the first picture.

3.radial blur - this is achieved by zooming while shooting. this take a lot of practice and the "keepers" ratio is very low but it is well worth the try. It might be a good idea to set your speedlight flash to 2nd curtain but to be hones I forgot all about it yesterday...

4.I had only been to TCCRA and TORN races since I moved here. I wanted to go to a sports bike practice day but I think they don't want me there (might be something to do with "club" photographers) so I can' really tell you about getting close to the track. in the event I've been to I get to as close as 2 ft from the rider - but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone - you have to know what you're doing and where the bike might go if he losses control. plus you have to remember you don't want to get in the way of the guys racing or even let them feel you will.

I don't believe I'll make it so far as to Austin - I have only Sundays off and it is a lot to drive. But if your closer up north I'll be happy to meet.

Hope I haven't forgotten anything

Mati

Let me start by complimenting your website - very nice indeed. I was never too much of an artist - more of a documentary type of photographer but your gallery is beautiful.

I think the shoots of the Senior turned out great - I especially like the second one from the top. by the way, what gear do you use?
Those were shot with a Nikon D90, Tokina 12-24 lens and Nikon SB600 flash. Most of the photos on my website were shot with a Nikon D50 w/ assorted lenses or Nikon CP5700 (The D90 is pretty new).

1.program mode - you are right and the most used program is the shutter priority buy there are times when I feel the action is too fast and then I like to set every thing manual. my feeling is that it takes some of the workload from the camera and helps the AutoFocus to be quicker. I know it sounds like an urban myth but It works for me.
That's interesting, never thought of that before...wonder if there's anything to it?

2.Shutter speed. this varies by the focal length, the distance from the object, his direction (towards you or crossing you) his speed and the effect you're trying to achieve. if it is "just" to show motion then you can show the wheel turning from 1/500 but most of the rest of the picture will be frizzed. if you want to do "parallel" panning you can get good results starting with 1/320 but if you want to get the "extra" blur you will have to go to 1/200 and below. the problem here is that it will be much to get a sharp image for once since the shutter speed is slower and therefor "freezes" less of the action the second reason is that it will be harder to focus since the aperture is smaller therefor transmitting less light to the focus system.

in the woods I use a bit higher shutter speed since the trees are close by and I can blur them pretty good by only panning the camera. if I'll use a too slow shutter speed the raider him self will be too blurred. when out side, and with no close by "still" images (which we use to emphasis the motion) we need to some time use a slower shutter speed.
That's what I suspected, I just never tried the faster speeds thinking they'd be too fast regardless; I'll have to try it now. I've only tried to keep it under 200 to get good motion, even with longer focal lengths, but then keeping the subject sharp was really tricky, almost impossible. I'll go ahead and try speeding it up a little for longer FL's. The photos on my wife's site were the only ones I shot that were successful... even at 1/125 and 1/80... but I attribute that success to the wide lens and flash.

by the way - the hardest panning IMO is when they are moving ion 30 degrees towards you like in the first picture.
Yea, I can definitely see how that's tricky.

3.radial blur - this is achieved by zooming while shooting. this take a lot of practice and the "keepers" ratio is very low but it is well worth the try. It might be a good idea to set your speedlight flash to 2nd curtain but to be hones I forgot all about it yesterday...
Exactly what I suspected... that's got to be difficult! The result is awesome though...

4.I had only been to TCCRA and TORN races since I moved here. I wanted to go to a sports bike practice day but I think they don't want me there (might be something to do with "club" photographers) so I can' really tell you about getting close to the track. in the event I've been to I get to as close as 2 ft from the rider - but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone - you have to know what you're doing and where the bike might go if he losses control. plus you have to remember you don't want to get in the way of the guys racing or even let them feel you will.

I don't believe I'll make it so far as to Austin - I have only Sundays off and it is a lot to drive. But if your closer up north I'll be happy to meet.
Yea, there aren't many in Austin anyway, but if there was one, for instance, in Waco or even this side of DFW, I might consider heading up that way.

Thanks for fielding my questions :thumb:

I don't know if I mentioned it, but you could always look into cornerworking. You still won't be allowed to go to the edge of the track, but most organizations don't seem to mind you shooting pictures while you are there, so long as it doesn't get in the way of you doing your job. Heck, for me it helps keep me involved and paying attention.

Plus, you'll get paid for your services so it'll offset your gas costs to get there.

FWIW, my club's enduro will be on October 18 at Red River Motorcycle Trails. There will be many interesting vantage points you can shoot from. I'll be there working and can suggest some locations/ direction for you.

And I would be interested in learning more to improve my shooting skills.

Call me if you want.

Stan
817-846-6253

FWIW, my club's enduro will be on October 18 at Red River Motorcycle Trails. There will be many interesting vantage points you can shoot from. I'll be there working and can suggest some locations/ direction for you.

And I would be interested in learning more to improve my shooting skills.

Call me if you want.

Stan
817-846-6253

Thanks Stan

I'm planning on been there, so if you see me give me a shout

Today I went to the TCCRA race. it was muddy and cold but I played with my off camera flash and enjoyed seeing the racers - they rode some stuff I wouldn't walk...

here's a link to the gallery - http://www.matikrimerman.com/motorsport/usa/2009.10.11.html

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0691.JPG

Hope to see some of you next time

Mati

Back