• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Miles traveled per tank of gas

A1A

Reaction score
Just fooling around the other day and filled up the tank. While on the centerstand and put in as much gas as possible. I travelled 226.4 miles of city/highway riding before the mark and the last segment started blinking together. The bike had 230.1 miles traveled on this tank before I filled it up. I filled the tank to the level recommended by the owners manual. Bike was fueled on the side stand and held 4.347 gallons. I could have put more fuel in the tank on the centerstand. But bike was going to be parked for the day and I didn't want gas expansion fuel leaking out. I'm guessing I could have put in maybe less than 1/2 guart more fuel anyway.
I was just amazed at the distance travelled per tank. Because I usually filled up around 130-140 miles traveled.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I have my ODO calibrated with the healer and I am 265lbs and I amrather heavy handed on the throttle - so the longest I got was 174 miles at 4.781 gals giving 36+/- MPG and the final mark was flashing. I too normally hit it at around 140 miles. So at least now I now I can press it to 170 miles indicated and still be running.

Not wanting to push my luck (or bike) I chickened out at 440.
....oh yeah, did I mention a 5.75 gal. auxillary tank. :doh: :trust:

Yes, I know this is a Bandit thread, calm down.

Last edited:
I've got to the point where I don't usually pay attention until the 2nd light starts going off since the first bar starts blinking so early.

The furthest I've pushed a tank was around 245 miles, think I put in 4.8 gallons or so. In commuting mode the 2nd stage starts blinking around 180mi and I usually fill up right around then.

trey

Usually can easily get 300 miles. It's best to fuel early though because the fuel pump is cooled by the gas.

I usually go until BOTH icons are blinking, at that point I assume that I'll run out of gas in twenty miles.

I ran a test when I first got the bike and concluded that I can go 50 miles after the first icon blinks, and another 20 miles when both are blinking. All this at 70 mph with a strong side-wind on the freeway with a couple off-ramp runs and hard acceleration on-ramp runs.

Not wanting to push my luck (or bike) I chickened out at 440.
....oh yeah, did I mention a 5.75 gal. auxillary tank. :doh: :trust:

Yes, I know this is a Bandit thread, calm down.

Since you know it's a bandit thread and posted an x bike anyway, I'll add to it to further inlighten you. Do you know morris from houston that carries about 32 gallons on his goldwing. ;-). He recorded at over 1200 miles without his feet hitting the ground. One of those Iron butt types. :lol2:

Down here in muggy south louisiana the best I've seen was 210 and the bar had been blinking for a bit. Most ever put in on the side stand was about 4.8. My ometer is off since I've put the speed healer on. I figure since I put -.079 % to correct the speedometer I have to add that to the ometer to get it right. If I would stay in the high stuff in Colorado where I got 57 and 58 mpg on the Bandit a few weeks ago > WOW! But I average in the low to mid 40 mpgs down here with normal riding in the 65 to 70 range 90% of the time and pretty easy on acceleration and rpm. 4000 is 70 for me and I very seldom travel the back roads here any faster.

Usually can easily get 300 miles. It's best to fuel early though because the fuel pump is cooled by the gas.

Ok - either I am crazy, or my bike's mileage sucks, or your odometer is WAY out of calibration, or you live at 13,000 feet, or you always drive going downhill, or you're lying, ........or most likely you don't drive a Bandit 1250 as 300 miles on a 5 gallon tank means 60MPG - which is simply not possible with this motor on a regular basis.

Can you confirm which please? :giveup:

I think some guys just can't help writting something and posting it even though it doesn't concern what they are riding. It would be like me talking about my DR or truck here instead of the DR and Chevy truck threads. ;-)

With my latest tune up I get about 47 mpg backroads and 43 mpg on the highway flat out.

I'm averaging between 43 and 45 mpg on weekend rides with hard hits in the twisties where I can find them in North Texas.

Anybody know if the gasoline mixture additives changes between summer and winter? Because I'm consistently getting better miles per gallon in the summer.

:rider:

Since you know it's a bandit thread and posted an x bike anyway, I'll add to it to further inlighten you. Do you know morris from houston that carries about 32 gallons on his goldwing. ;-). He recorded at over 1200 miles without his feet hitting the ground. One of those Iron butt types. :lol2:

Yes, I was aware of Mr Kruemcke and his epic IBA 48/10 ride, which he was able to complete in 5 days and a touch under 9 hours.

I think some guys just can't help writting something and posting it even though it doesn't concern what they are riding.

I made the grand assumption it was a bandit thread, the OP listed 5 bikes,
I didnt think it was about the Sportster.

MODS ALERT !!!!
I know Ive seen others post the same sentiment before, what if the bandits had their own sub forum; seems like a disproportionate amount of threads in the general section are in regard to this bike. :yawn:
Scott and mods, if you feel this is inflammatory posting by me, apologies offered up front, please delete my posts out of this thread.

:giveup:

what if the bandits had their own sub forum

This is the Bandit sub-forum that Scott made for us.

I think most people (it's what I do), click the "Unread Posts" link and don't navigate through by clicking on specific sub-forums. It's no big deal, but I'm guessing that's where the confusion is starting from.

trey

32 gallons! :eek2:
that is over 200 LBS of fuel. Almost 250 LBS.

Boys, boys. Yes, it's a Bandit sub-forum but we're all two-wheeled brothers on this site. All are welcome.
Play nicely.

....and while we're at it,

as much as I enjoy our little corner (sub-forum) of "Two Wheeled Texans", I do in fact feel badly that I don't visit the rest of TWT as often as I should. I have in fact studied items for sale, and posted information about a new business offering riding suits at a competitve price. In fact I also answered the call of one "Suzy" (from Texas) seeking to be put up as she scootered 'round the United States.

But in all fairness, TWT is well organized, offers loads of information, has some really friendly folk, and the mod's have class (they've been very forgiving of my taking creative license to spell around the filter). But I have not visited (enough) upon the rest of TWT..... as our "little corner" actually ain't so little! 'Suzuki Bandits' of Two Wheeled Texans is actually a pretty big collection of friends and like minded folks.

Thanks Texas,
for offering a world-wide collection of like-minded riders a forum to share our enthusiasm for the Bandit 1250.

(Now, why in Dog's name would somebody intentionally set out to sit in one's motorcycle saddle and pilot a motorcycle for hundreds upon hundreds (and hundreds of hundreds MORE) miles, with a trucker's buddy strapped to their leg?!????)

:clap::clap: Of course TEXAS is great and full of GREAT people. :clap:
It's sitting next to Louisiana. :lol2::lol2::lol2:
:giveup::giveup: Uhhh I was born in Beaumont and do lots of traveling in East and Southeast Texas. Great beaches, great women. To the Southwest > Great roads. 3 sisters comes to mind really fast. Davis Mountains also :rider:

But, that being said, I've never visited a state I hate yet. Just prefer some over others. ;-) I had planned to go to the Carolina's and area this Summer but after seeing too many pictures of the snow covered rockies, I went that way for a few day of cool weather riding. :rider: I save Southwest Texas for the winter time. :trust:

Hmmm......as I recall, Spongebob and Patrick had something wise to say about Texas while talking to Sandy in one episode......I'll have to consult them.

Back to the gas tank thread.....does anyone know if these bikes, being computer controlled fuel injected and such, get better mileage at Denver type altitudes of 5000ft msl compared to the rest of us who live at 1000 ft +/- msl?

I got higher mileage in Northern New Mexico and Colorado back roads , but contribute that more to slower speeds. Had 3 fill ups at mid 50's with the 86 octane gas in Colorado mountains. But down to hi 30's streaking across Texas and Louisiana heat and humidity getting home. But, thinking of it, I was streaking from Colorado Springs and did stay in the low 40's there at the 4 to 5 thousand foot level in I-25. Running 80 mph as much as possible.

My gas mileage has differed radically when I'm out and REALLY logging on the miles. Some of my best numbers has been with the gas sold out of Nevada, and while we're up that way (from our resident state of Mexifornia).... there are some serious high speed roads to party on! But they're looooooong roads, so we plug our speed in at between 70mph and 90, leaning into the turns, grinning from the 'fun' factor, and rarely stopping for ANYTHING. It has been on these occasions that should expect my mileage to be down, but it's not. My gas mileage figures may reflect as much as 48 mpg..... and all this at higher altitude, riding fast, and the formula Nevada gas calls for.

Otherwise on local day rides of up to 450 miles, I find my bike ( and my riding habits) to return me anywhere from as low as 38 mpg, and maybe up to 42 mpg (if I had a healthy dose of paranoia from cops waiting to catch me for having too much fun).

Back