PDA

View Full Version : KTM 690 Enduro R

iphorde
08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I just recently purchased a KTM 690 Enduro R to find a bike that could fill all of the voids of my riding. Let me first say my riding is broken down into 4 categories.

1. Motocross
2. Dual Sporting
3. Enduro / Trail Riding
4. Adventure

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/bgoodman/West%20Fest%202009/P7270096-1.jpg

For category 2, 3 and 4 this bike fills all three perfectly for me. Let me start out about the bike.

The KTM 690 Enduro R is a 65 horse power bike that was built for reliability not necessarily performance. I'm not saying its performance is weak, on the contrary, it performs outstanding.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/bgoodman/West%20Fest%202009/P7280128-1.jpg

This bike performs so well its first outing was to North Forty MX track in Sherman Texas where it did great. I put 12 miles on it.

The following day, I packed everything in my panniers and rode to Colorado for West Fest to try my new bike out in the mountains.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/bgoodman/West%20Fest%202009/IMG_0737.jpg

I had the oil changed and its first service done in Trinidad after riding TAT from Boise City.

The KTM/Touratech Luggage system works great as long as you keep the bike on stable terrain. (Dirt roads, pavement, etc). Once your in the woods crawling over rocks, I recommend you leave the bags some place else.

The bike has great power, even at altitude. I went over Mosquito Pass and the bike didn't skip a beat.

With the stock tires on the bike the front wants to wash out on tight turns. This was easily fixed when I put Dunlop 606's on it after about 1200 miles. This issue went away immediately.

The bike handles highway riding very well. At speeds around 80 mph there is some vibration, but I don't ride at those speeds unless I am on dirt.

If you are looking for a bike you can take to the trails, ride there to them, attend adventure rallies, keep up with the street bikes (and beat most of them) then this is the bike for you.

This fills the void the honda left with the XR650R with better technology.

The suspension on this bike is great. I had to dial it in, but no new springs or oil required. It is truly ready out the door. This is a nice change since every bike I have owned I have had to have the suspension rebuilt.

If you are looking a trail riding bike and adventure bike, this is the one for you. Don't get another bike.

This bike is replacing my BMW F800GS and my Yamaha WR450F. It is a consolidation. It does what both those bikes did even better.

I will update this more later.

ekms377
08-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Nice bike.....thx for the pics.....waiting for more!

The Bruce
08-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Nice photos, good report. Glad you found your bike.

JasonJ
08-04-2009, 09:38 AM
i'd love to eventually replace the KLR with one of these. hows the reliability?

big thread over on ADV about the bike shows some issues with the fuel system, one poor bugger has been stranded every time he's gone on a trip, south america, mexico, colorado etc because of fueling issues.

gixxerjasen
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Good to hear, after sitting on it and the 990 I found the 690 to be more my size with my short height. I've been thinking it might be my ideal adventure/ds bike that I'd like to own. I especially want one that does road miles well since living here in Dallas, there's so much road to get to the really good riding areas.

Replacing your BMW huh? That says a lot about the bike as it's certainly been on my drool list. I'll be looking for further reviews on the KTM as you put more miles on her. Maybe in a year or so I can find a nicely farkled used one that someone bought meaning to ride a lot and just sat in their garage and wants to unload cheap. :mrgreen:

poser
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Chris [Dirtrideroader] has one, well the non R version IIRC. He speaks very higly of it. He also sent off his seat and had it re-done, and it turned out REALLY nice, though I can't remember who did it.

iphorde
08-08-2009, 11:22 PM
It uses KTM's LC4 motor... probably the most reliable engine they have ever produced. I only have about 2k miles on it so nothing so far...

The front brake is the best brake I have ever had on any bike.

i'd love to eventually replace the KLR with one of these. hows the reliability?

big thread over on ADV about the bike shows some issues with the fuel system, one poor bugger has been stranded every time he's gone on a trip, south america, mexico, colorado etc because of fueling issues.

h2000fb
08-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Like the bike. Very interesting!

So, tell me about the RANGE on a TANK of GAS.
Also, the seat looks really tiny. What about this issue?
:popcorn:

May have to go to the local KTM dealer and take a look. However, the above two issues may be a problem for me.

Hemibee
08-09-2009, 01:23 AM

I can't answer that one for you.

The ever popular KTM 2X4, luckily Enduro Engineering has a cure for that.

May have to go to the local KTM dealer and take a look. However, the above too issues may be a problem for me.
Your local dealer is a very good one, if not the best one in business today to do business with. Chip is a one of a kind, I mail order all my parts from him.
Now the standard disclaimer.... I'm in no way associated with the dealer other than I purchase bikes and parts from them, YMMV.

maxlib
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice. Being in the market, so to speak, job pending, I was looking at the KTM website last night and decided that the Adventure, No R would fit me best(short inseam 30").

I'll be watching for future impressions.

Tourmeister
08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
How's the headlight at night?

iphorde
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
It's a little week.

sbgalaxie
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Love your bike. Mine is a 2001 LC4 640 Enduro with very minor mods. It has a Supertrap IDS2 silencer and opened airbox with the carb rejetted from 142.5 to 157.5 main jet. It's a great bike, and the mods made all the difference in performance. I bought it last year from a guy who had only babied it, putting on only 3,000 miles in 7 years. It had to be brought back to life from being in storage, but it's been performing great. I plan on taking an adventure ride next year.

sbgalaxie
11-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Regarding the headlight, mine uses a standard H4 bulb that you can get at any auto parts store. They make all kinds of upgraded versions of that bulb. I bought brighter on and popped it right in. Made a good deal of difference.

iqbalinc
05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Chris [Dirtrideroader] has one, well the non R version IIRC. He speaks very higly of it. He also sent off his seat and had it re-done, and it turned out REALLY nice, though I can't remember who did it.

try
http://www.renazco.com/

SilverBullet
05-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Very impressive, I like...but...
What is real world pricing for this beast? (almost afraid to ask)
KTM website doesn't even list MSRP, not a good sign.
Probably the deal breaker for me.

_

gixxerjasen
05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
A quick google search shows the 2009 had an MSRP of $10498.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2009/ktm/690_enduro/prices/05/index.html

Aanarchy
05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
A quick google search shows the 2009 had an MSRP of $10498.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2009/ktm/690_enduro/prices/05/index.html

The 2010 Enduro R MSRP is $10,298. SMS Racing in Denton has one. RPM Cycle in Farmers Branch has one. They have a tag on it that says $11,794 OTD. The put in freight at $495, dealer prep $150, I think. Couple other charges and tax to get to their sticker price.

I just bought one from Cycle Town South in Lancaster. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Substantially less than the number above. Substantially less.

DaveC
05-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Inquiring minds want to know, how far can one go?

greeneggs&ham
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
While riding home from work tonight, my fuel gage told me I was on reserve at 135. I have so far only gone 20 miles on reserve a few months ago, I will not push it far past that. That day I filled up with 3.2 gals. The manual says it holds 3.4!

h2000fb
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
While riding home from work tonight, my fuel gage told me I was on reserve at 135. I have so far only gone 20 miles on reserve a few months ago, I will not push it far past that. That day I filled up with 3.2 gals. The manual says it holds 3.4!

OK, so how many gallons do you get to a tank of gas?

SilverBullet
05-13-2010, 07:18 AM
The 2010 Enduro R MSRP is $10,298. SMS Racing in Denton has one. RPM Cycle in Farmers Branch has one. They have a tag on it that says $11,794 OTD. The put in freight at $495, dealer prep $150, I think. Couple other charges and tax to get to their sticker price.

I just bought one from Cycle Town South in Lancaster. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Substantially less than the number above. Substantially less.

So how much is substantially less? That's why I asked earlier for "real world" pricing, not dealer tag prices but actual deals that have left the showroom.

_

greeneggs&ham
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I will usually go 120 to 130 when the fuel gage goes to res. & the low fuel light comes on. If I fill within a couple of miles I will usually put in 2.4 to 2.7. The time I went 20 mile after it came on was out near Sisterdale and it was that far to the nearest station. I try to keep it to 120 miles & fill. It gets somewhere in the 50mpg on county roads avg. about 50mph. Alittle less if on hwy or offroad.
I bought mine in Dec. 09 from TJ's in Austin. It was $9800 out the door. It was my 2nd bike from him in 2 years. He had to pick it up from another dealer since he had already sold his alotment for last year.

Coolhand
06-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Hey guys I'd be interested to hear continuing reports as you put time on your bikes. :trust:

Actually, I just want to read and see (pictures) more KTM 690 pr0n. Really like the bike, trying to figure out how to get one...

Love my DR for what it cost and what it does, but I've taken it to the edge that it's suspension and weight allows.
http://yodogsmith.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Arkansas-Git-R-Done-2010/IMG3221/885855897_koHjq-L.jpg

gixxerjasen
06-15-2010, 07:36 AM
That's the edge? I've seen folks put waaaaaay more on the back of a DR. :mrgreen:

But yea, I'm all about the KTM 690 pr0n as well. Waiting on the used prices of those to match up with my discretionary fund. Don't ask, the fund is only at about $0.37 at the moment. But I figure if I keep adding, sooner or later they'll meet. :mrgreen:

Coolhand
06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
That's the edge? I've seen folks put waaaaaay more on the back of a DR. :mrgreen:

But yea, I'm all about the KTM 690 pr0n as well. Waiting on the used prices of those to match up with my discretionary fund. Don't ask, the fund is only at about $0.37 at the moment. But I figure if I keep adding, sooner or later they'll meet. :mrgreen:

Haha! I don't need more suspension for carrying stuff... although I did bust out the subframe under my middle rear fender bolt where the rack attaches on the way up ;-) I need more suspension because the DR flies just fine but she lands like a darned jumbo jet :lol2:

BIG A
06-15-2010, 07:09 PM
I was just going to be patient and not buy a new bike, but a gently used bike. Put out WTB on several sites, but I got my hit from the ADV board, a man PMed me and said he had an 08 with 2,400 miles on it, all stock, and sent a couple pictures, looked brand new. The only catch was it is in Nashville Tenn.
So on Memorial day weekend my wife and I sat out on a road trip and went to get the bike.Was well worth the trip the owner was a really great guy,and I got a great price, Bought the bike for 6,500 dollars, now I have money left to do a few farkles.:rider:

gixxerjasen
06-15-2010, 08:15 PM
I haven't let distance get in the way of a good deal on a bike. I met a guy from Kalamazoo Mi halfway in St Louis for a trade, met a guy in Tennessee from the DC area for a trade, and just recently flew to KC to pick up my latest bike. It's always an adventure and I've met some really good people that way.

In town buys tend to be less personal usually.

Coolhand
06-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Bought the bike for 6,500 dollars, now I have money left to do a few farkles.:rider:

Man, there is hope! :)

But until I see pictures, it didn't happen... :trust:

poser
06-15-2010, 09:42 PM
this thread needs more pics :mrgreen:

gixxerjasen
06-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Lots more pics.

Coolhand
06-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Alright, it's not even mine (it's DFW Rider's ;-)). There were two of them on my trip, the one in the picture above and this one. Both were essentially brand new, so very few farkles although this one has the FMF pipe that you see. Ken have you farkled any further??

http://yodogsmith.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Arkansas-Git-R-Done-2010/IMG3300mod/886472538_45sf7-M.jpg

Coolhand
06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Yum?

http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/products/690e/BillV1.jpg

Kind of ugly.

Coolhand
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Better?

http://www.bmwgs.cz/forum/attachments/7k2e5766_1.jpg

gixxerjasen
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Yum indeed.

poser
06-17-2010, 05:41 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

you guys are killing me

ekms377
06-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Awesome!

greeneggs&ham
06-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Justin, you have not seen this bike since the Jan. 2 ride. Added luggage racks from Touratech, Wolfman Luggage, IRC 110 tires. I liked it more with the knobbies but the rear one only lasted 2000 miles.

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/618/Bikes_017.jpg

ekms377
06-18-2010, 07:07 AM
So....why the 690 over a 535? Highway riding? 2-up?

Sprocket
06-18-2010, 12:11 PM
It's a lowly '08 and therefore not an "R", but if you want 690 p0rn, I'm partial to these two shots:

Glamor shot in heels:

http://motolobo.com/gallery/d/2857-1/IMG_0509.JPG

Working shot in sneakers:

http://motolobo.com/gallery/d/3234-1/P5230030.JPG

BIG A
06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Jeff mines just an 08 also,but I think they are just as sexy, not to mention they haul *****.:rofl::lol2::thumb:

Sprocket
06-18-2010, 12:55 PM
So....why the 690 over a 535? Highway riding? 2-up?

For me I like the 650 class for dual sporting (I never 2-up and passenger peg brackets are only for securing camping gear:lol2:). They can run the highway with relative ease (cruise at 60-70 all day), and still have low end for some knarly climbing when needed. Seat height is an issue as I’m only a 32” inseam and my bikes are usually 34-36” seat height. Over the years I’ve learned to work the “one cheek lean”. :rofl:

IMHO, my XR650R was a 9.8 out of 10. If it had an electric start I'd still have it today. A bum knee requires a happy button these days so my options were the KLR650 (solid bike, but not capable enough off-road for my liking), Husky 610, BMW (too much $$$ to beat on), and the 690. I went with the KTM this time as I've always leaned towards more off-road talent than street, and a claimed 305#’s and 64hp caught my eye. :rider:

At first I thought I wanted a Husky 610, but couldn’t find one. The 690 was my other choice and I happened across one, even bought it out from Big A without knowing it:doh:. Looking back, I feel I made the right move for my preferences (wussy needing electric start) and riding style (a legend in my own mind:trust:). For me, it’s a big honking dirt bike with a license plate. If I wanted a race bike with a license plate, the 535 would have been ideal. My perception (which defines my reality:zen:), is that the 690 should need less rebuilds and work per hour of seat time than a race bike. Time will tell...

As mentioned elsewhere, the 2x4 they call a “seat” is a joke and the fuel range is paltry for getting too far from civilization. Easy fixes, but they do cost $$$. Still, , I’m tickled pink. Well, until something else catches my eye anyway…

To date mods to my bike:
Safari tank
GPS hardwired
Reconzzo seat (don't get suede fabric if you EVER ride in the wet, DAMHIK)
G-iT rear rack (from UK)
Billet brake pedal
Flatland skid plate
Phillips Xtreme H4 bulb
Black fenders, headlight bucket, fork guards
Giant Loop Mojavi or Coyote saddle bags (have both)
Giant Loop Fandango tank bag
Flash2Pass garage door opener (best farkle ever, on all my bikes!)

Coolhand
06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Justin, you have not seen this bike since the Jan. 2 ride. Added luggage racks from Touratech, Wolfman Luggage, IRC 110 tires. I liked it more with the knobbies but the rear one only lasted 2000 miles.

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/618/Bikes_017.jpg

:clap: Funny, I just saw that bike again yesterday looking through photos on the computer with my kid ;-)

Hood Ornament
06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Figure I'd update some of the issues and all with the bikes. I've got somewhere around 12K-13K miles on my 08 E (don't know for sure because of having to replace the gauge clusters twice) and I have to say it's been a bit of a love hate relationship.

To date I've had to replace 2 Gauge clusters, 3 air intake sensors, 2 radiators, 1 header, 2 tail light lenses, and 1 fuel pump all because of design/manufacturing flaws. It's also had numerous FI issues. All these problems with the exception of the header have happened to other people as well.

The clusters were changed when the R model came out. The radiator shroud rubs against the radiator and will eventually rub holes in it so you want to modify the shroud that doesn't happen. The air intake sensors harnesses are too short so the put undue stress on it, the fuel pumps are just junk. not a KTM part, it's a Delphi, but obviously not suited to the application.

Now then on to the other issues, you have to ditch the stock rear turn signals, the rear brake lever will bend way to easy so a lot of folks replace them. The stock exhaust can super heats, pretty much have to replace it with aftermarket if you want to keep from burning your flesh, boots, pants. Faulty tank bushings, fuel lines run so that they rub against frame bolts. A really hot running thermostat.

I think I covered most of the stuff.

Now the bike is one of, if not the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden, but it comes at a cost I guess.

Iceman Jack
06-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Figure I'd update some of the issues and all with the bikes. I've got somewhere around 12K-13K miles on my 08 E (don't know for sure because of having to replace the gauge clusters twice) and I have to say it's been a bit of a love hate relationship.

To date I've had to replace 2 Gauge clusters, 3 air intake sensors, 2 radiators, 1 header, 2 tail light lenses, and 1 fuel pump all because of design/manufacturing flaws. It's also had numerous FI issues. All these problems with the exception of the header have happened to other people as well.

The clusters were changed when the R model came out. The radiator shroud rubs against the radiator and will eventually rub holes in it so you want to modify the shroud that doesn't happen. The air intake sensors harnesses are too short so the put undue stress on it, the fuel pumps are just junk. not a KTM part, it's a Delphi, but obviously not suited to the application.

Now then on to the other issues, you have to ditch the stock rear turn signals, the rear brake lever will bend way to easy so a lot of folks replace them. The stock exhaust can super heats, pretty much have to replace it with aftermarket if you want to keep from burning your flesh, boots, pants. Faulty tank bushings, fuel lines run so that they rub against frame bolts. A really hot running thermostat.

Now the bike is one of, if not the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden, but it comes at a cost I guess.

What year is your 690? And how about that turning radius as compared to the 525EX/C? I like to have knocked the bumper off my truck because I didn't realize the turning radius was so much bigger than the 525.

Hood Ornament
06-22-2010, 11:12 AM
'08, and I know what you mean about that turning radius. :headbang:

What year is your 690? And how about that turning radius as compared to the 525EX/C? I like to have knocked the bumper off my truck because I didn't realize the turning radius was so much bigger than the 525.

Coolhand
06-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Ouch, that's a buzz kill. Anybody know if KTM has addressed any of these issues (other than the gauge cluster?) on the later models??

Hood Ornament
07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Well, to add insult to injury. My FMF replacement header now has a hole in it. Waiting to hear back from FMF to see if they are gonna repair/replace the header. The one year warranty expires in 2 days. :lol2::lol2: Of course there's the down time having to send it off and wait for the return. :argh::argh:

http://www.novoworks.com/misc/albie/ktmfmfheader1.jpg

http://www.novoworks.com/misc/albie/ktmfmfheader2.jpg

Tourmeister
07-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Dude... :brainsnap

Is that just from a hot spot forming? :scratch: If so, that is REAL strange to have such a small localized hot spot in the middle of a long stretch of pipe unless perhaps there was something on the inside of the pipe protruding into the flow and concentrating the heat. Still amazing that it actually burst outward!! Did it happen suddenly or slowly?

Hood Ornament
07-07-2010, 08:22 AM
There was a standoff welded to the pipe there. You can see another one on the right of the pic. I'm guessing a combination of bad welding and vibration caused it to tear out like that. This happened over time, the pipe probably has around 5K miles on it.

Hood Ornament
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh and another gripe about this bike. TIRE LIFE! This one has 1K miles on it. At least I wore the whole thing out. :lol2:

http://www.novoworks.com/misc/albie/690tire.jpg

Sprocket
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
That's sooo odd Albie. Mine looks nothing like yours and I've got 2k+ miles on it. Must be the rider....:rider:

http://motolobo.com/gallery/d/3620-1/IMG_0054.JPG

Hood Ornament
07-07-2010, 01:15 PM
OMG!!! I get even less milage out of the knobbies!!! :lol2:

That's sooo odd Albie. Mine looks nothing like yours and I've got 2k+ miles on it. Must be the rider....:rider:

http://motolobo.com/gallery/d/3620-1/IMG_0054.JPG

gixxerjasen
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Albie, set the front wheel down once in a while. I've seen you ride. :mrgreen:

BIG A
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Anyone who has put another slip on silencer, which one did you use? is it quiet? does it have a spark arrestor?
And did you have to have it remaped? Whay about your adjustable power settings?

Sprocket
07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Anyone who has put another slip on silencer, which one did you use? is it quiet? does it have a spark arrestor?
And did you have to have it remaped? Whay about your adjustable power settings?

I'm running the FMF Q4 Ti. It's rated for like 96db max (legal for AMA dual-sport events) and has the arrestor (don't want to burn down the forests!). Rick said he likes the way it sounds at full honk...:trust:

RPM Cycles in Carrollton remapped the bike and yanked the evap canister at the same time for me. Don't know what "tune" they used, but she runs great!:rider:

Hood Ornament
07-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I've got the LV slip-on. Even with the db reducer it's still loud. I wish FMF had the Q4 out at the time, I would have got that instead.

The only map the dealers have besides stock is the Akro one which pretty much everyone uses, even folks with stock cans.

The ignition map switch I leave on 2. Some people prefer 3 because it's a little less abrupt and easier to use off road.

greeneggs&ham
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I have had a FMF Q4 on for about 3 months. I have not had the remap. But unlike others I have not removed the canister or put in a aftermarket air filter. I have checked the plug byweekly. Very clean with a nice tan color to the insulator. No sign of lean yet. I love the weight reduction of the FMF. The sound is the about the same at cruise and just a little more bark when the front wheel is airborn. I also have the same problem with knobbies wearing out. I have only had 1 failure on the bike in 8 months, that was a fuel injector o-ring. There are issues with every bike. This one just provides too much :rider: smile time. Sam

Dirtrideroader
07-13-2010, 11:51 PM

It is good to have a friend along with a giant tank and an empty beer can. I ran out completely once in Arkansas at 128 miles. But a lot of that was crawling back and forth across a rocky creek.

Hood Ornament
08-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Finally got my header back from FMF, they rewelded all the welds. It looks much better with no spooge. Feel a lot more confident that they won't fail anytime soon. Now hopefully nothing else breaks for a while. getting kinda tired of fixing/replacing stuff on this bike.

PigTrail
08-17-2010, 12:59 PM
It is good to have a friend along with a giant tank and an empty beer can. I ran out completely once in Arkansas at 128 miles. But a lot of that was crawling back and forth across a rocky creek.

:rofl:

If your 690 runs out of gas, you can always run on other fluids. That's livin the high life!

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/kilbyr/100_2673.jpg

gixxerjasen
08-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Finally got my header back from FMF, they rewelded all the welds. It looks much better with no spooge. Feel a lot more confident that they won't fail anytime soon. Now hopefully nothing else breaks for a while. getting kinda tired of fixing/replacing stuff on this bike.Tell ya what....I'll come by and take it off your hands and we'll call it even for the scratch on the R1. :rofl:

Hood Ornament
08-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Tell ya what....I'll come by and take it off your hands and we'll call it even for the scratch on the R1. :rofl:

You're too kind! :lol2:

m3sportevo
11-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I have an Akropovic exhaust (including header) with re-map. It's a little loud, but sound great.

Coolhand
11-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Envy. ;-)

Any of you guys do anything about the narrow turn radius? Are there steering stops that you can change out somehow or are you screwed?

BIG A
11-23-2010, 05:52 AM
There is some adjustment, but not much. Have had mine in some pretty tight situations and has not really been a problem, not unless you were on a 1 foot rock ledge and wanted to turn around.:lol2::rofl::doh:

Coolhand
11-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Do any of you guys regularly commute on your 690? Any thoughts?

Dirtrideroader
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM

You could do it easily. It will go over 100 mph with stock gearing.

Coolhand
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Haha... no desire or need to go that fast on my commute :) Thanks.

BIG A
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Ride mine to work on nice days, but only live 3 miles from my shop.:rider:

Hood Ornament
11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
My commute's so short I usually drive my truck, it's not even worth spending the time to gear up to ride a bike. I will say that DS/Motards are one of the best commuter type bikes out there.

gixxerjasen
11-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I will say that DS/Motards are one of the best commuter type bikes out there.That all depends on your commute and how much stuff you want to bring with you. :mrgreen:

LTCTodd
12-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Great thread, do you know if the front tank from a standard 690 will fit on an R to create an extended range 690R?

Coolhand
12-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Great thread, do you know if the front tank from a standard 690 will fit on an R to create an extended range 690R?

LTCTodd I didn't know the standard version had a bigger tank? What's the capacity difference?

Welcome to TWT.

Justin

LTCTodd
12-17-2010, 10:01 PM
LTCTodd I didn't know the standard version had a bigger tank? What's the capacity difference?

Welcome to TWT.

Justin

The R has the rear tank and the standard has a traditional mounted front tank, correct? Then with a little modification we could mount the standard's front tank to the R.

Sprocket
12-18-2010, 12:34 AM
The R has the rear tank and the standard has a traditional mounted front tank, correct? Then with a little modification we could mount the standard's front tank to the R.

Here’s what I show from my notes when we bought our 08 earlier this year…:zen:

There were 08 and 09 “E” (aka non-R), an 09 “R” and the 10/11 are all “R” models (ie no “E” available). The R was phased in as a new model and has 25mm more suspension travel. a different headlight (smaller output) and cowl and different instruments (smaller, no tach). All have the same FI, motor, and tranny. Also, all have the “rear” tank (under seat) from the factory. Tanks that you see at the “front” (where tanks usually are) are aftermarket as KTM doesn't put one there. The Australian built Aqualine Safari is the most common (around $700) and adds 3.7 gallons to the stock 3.17 and flow is controlled via 3 petcocks. Rally Raid in the UK also offers a 2.5 gallon tank, but it’s around $975.:eek2:

So, no tank mod to be done really. Just gotta pony up $$$ for an aftermarket tank. Word of caution, when full, she’s a pig until you run down about 120 miles or so. Max range I’ve read with the Safari is about 300 miles, I’ve personally seen about 260 with plenty of gas still in the tank…:rider:

LTCTodd
12-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Here’s what I show from my notes when we bought our 08 earlier this year…:zen:

There were 08 and 09 “E” (aka non-R), an 09 “R” and the 10/11 are all “R” models (ie no “E” available). The R was phased in as a new model and has 25mm more suspension travel. a different headlight (smaller output) and cowl and different instruments (smaller, no tach). All have the same FI, motor, and tranny. Also, all have the “rear” tank (under seat) from the factory. Tanks that you see at the “front” (where tanks usually are) are aftermarket as KTM doesn't put one there. The Australian built Aqualine Safari is the most common (around $700) and adds 3.7 gallons to the stock 3.17 and flow is controlled via 3 petcocks. Rally Raid in the UK also offers a 2.5 gallon tank, but it’s around $975.:eek2:

So, no tank mod to be done really. Just gotta pony up $$$ for an aftermarket tank. Word of caution, when full, she’s a pig until you run down about 120 miles or so. Max range I’ve read with the Safari is about 300 miles, I’ve personally seen about 260 with plenty of gas still in the tank…:rider:

Thanks for the info.

JasonJ
02-19-2011, 11:46 AM
any further reports on the 690 guys? still loving the bike?

i'm a flip floppin' son of a gun at the moment, plan to buy a bike as soon as my bonus check from work hits the account, but im stuck in a husaberg 570-ktm 690 loop and i cant get out! (i really want FI, carbs run on voodoo) :doh:

The Bruce
02-19-2011, 12:00 PM

i'm a flip floppin' son of a gun at the moment, plan to buy a bike as soon as my bonus check from work hits the account, but im stuck in a husaberg 570-ktm 690 loop and i cant get out! (i really want FI, carbs run on voodoo) :doh:

Carbs run on physics; FI is controlled by the magical wizard inside that black box. Nice thing about FI is the adaptability to altitude. Carbs suffer from O2 starvation unless you fiddle with along the way. One can't ride from sea level to 12,000 feet with one set of jets and not have issues. I would like my next adventure machine to have FI for that reason.

JasonJ
02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Carbs run on physics; FI is controlled by the magical wizard inside that black box. Nice thing about FI is the adaptability to altitude. Carbs suffer from O2 starvation unless you fiddle with along the way. One can't ride from sea level to 12,000 feet with one set of jets and not have issues. I would like my next adventure machine to have FI for that reason.

i plan to spend as much time as possible in colorado and utah which is why i want the FI too, well...that and carbs run on voodoo (physics smchysics).

gixxerjasen
02-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Carbs run on physics; FI is controlled by the magical wizard inside that black box.That black box runs on physics too ya know...

The Bruce
02-20-2011, 08:35 AM
That black box runs on physics too ya know...

Well, yeah. But if I can't see it, it's black magic. I hate working on electronics and I used to be an electronics technician. :doh: One of the reasons I'm a firefighter now.

gixxerjasen
02-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Yea, that's where all my physics classes went south for me. I'd ace every single test until we got to the electronics portion. I work on computers for a living and I understand what I deal with, but how it all works inside the box I have no idea.

Sprocket
02-21-2011, 08:09 PM

Just over a year with it and still have it. For me, that's quite an endorsement... :rider:

david.tory
09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Jason,
I too am torn between a 2010 Husaberg FS 570 or a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro for commuting 800 highway miles to work every month. I sat on the KTM at Cycle Town in Lancaster, TX and then sat on the Husaberg. Wow! What a difference! I have a 32" inseam. I could only tip toe both feet on the ground with the KTM and the seat did not feel too comfy. I could flat foot the Husaberg and the seat felt fairly comfy! It is also 55 pounds lighter!

Coolhand
09-25-2011, 10:32 AM
How do the oil change intervals compare between the two? I always assumed the Berg was more "dirty" ie: compare it to a 530 EXC, rather than to the 690R. I'm surprised you can flat foot the Berg, I might have to go try that (being 32" inseam myself). :) That said, I think the 690R would be a much better commuter...

david.tory
09-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Coolhand,

Thank you for your insightful response. Alas, I must ask...why do you think the 690 Enduro would make a better commuter than the fs 570?
I assume it is because the maintenance intervals are better on the 690, even though the FS570 is more streetable in the handling dept.

Hood Ornament
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
The 690 maintenance intervals fall more in line with more typical street bike intervals, while the 570 is still a race bike with a tag. A lot of people get hung up on that issue. Me I sure as heck wouldn't let that get in the way of my decision. At the end of the day, I ride for the enjoyment of riding. Why sacrifice the enjoyment of the ride just to have longer oil change intervals?

Oh, I'm also surprised that you can flat foot on the Berg, as my 450 EXC sits up higher then my 690 (of course my E is shorter then the R and I still can't flat foot on it either) Only thing I can think is the Berg is really under sprung for your weight.

david.tory
09-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Original Message:

The 690 maintenance intervals fall more in line with more typical street bike intervals, while the 570 is still a race bike with a tag. A lot of people get hung up on that issue. Me I sure as heck wouldn't let that get in the way of my decision. At the end of the day, I ride for the enjoyment of riding. Why sacrifice the enjoyment of the ride just to have longer oil change intervals?

Oh, I'm also surprised that you can flat foot on the Berg, as my 450 EXC sits up higher then my 690 (of course my E is shorter then the R) Only thing I can think is the Berg is really under sprung for your weight.

Hood Ornament,
I am only hung up on the potentially expensive possibility of having to rebuild the 570 engine and its reliability versus the 690 proven engine. And even then, I am quite spoiled having always owned Japanese motorcycles. I am a little concerned about the occasional negative reliability and maintenance issues I read about online for both KTM and Husaberg. (I currently have 23,000 trouble-free miles on my '08 Wee Strom).

The 570 felt way better: more comfortable seat and smaller than the 690 Enduro.

I have a 32 inch inseam and weigh 160 lbs:) I was under the impression that most motorcycles are built for the average rider like me: 5ft. 9 inches, 160 lbs., etc.
I was also stunned and pleasantly surprised when I swung a leg over the 570:) The 570 is supposed to be 1 inch lower (35.5 inch seat height) than the 690 Enduro (36.6 inch seat height). It felt a whole lot lower:)

Thank you

Hood Ornament
09-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Ahh, guess that engine design on the Berg leads to lower seat height. Pretty cool. As for reliability, while the 690's engine seems reliable enough, a lot of the rest of the bike, not so much. :lol2: Mines got over 21K miles on it and while I haven't burned a drop of oil (kinda unusual for a big thumper) or had a single hiccup engine wise, holy crap there's been issues with the rest of the bike.

Now the 570 being ridden non competitively could have a very reliable and long lived motor. I know there are some RFS motors out there with a lot more miles then my 690 that have never had a top end done. The Berg obviously shares a lot of KTM engineering so I would imagine you could see similar results.

Gravel Guy
09-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Ahh, guess that engine design on the Berg leads to lower seat height. Pretty cool. As for reliability, while the 690's engine seems reliable enough, a lot of the rest of the bike, not so much. :lol2: Mines got over 21K miles on it and while I haven't burned a drop of oil (kinda unusual for a big thumper) or had a single hiccup engine wise, holy crap there's been issues with the rest of the bike.

Now the 570 being ridden non competitively could have a very reliable and long lived motor. I know there are some RFS motors out there with a lot more miles then my 690 that have never had a top end done. The Berg obviously shares a lot of KTM engineering so I would imagine you could see similar results.

What kind of issues, HO? :sun:

Hood Ornament
09-25-2011, 03:46 PM
The FI has been flakey from day one. Had 2 instrument clusters replaced, 2 radiators replaced, there's a stupid air intake temp sensor that's gone bad a couple times and the wiring to that stupid sensor has broken 4 times. The header cracked because there is no support in the middle. Fuel pump died ($330 for a new one BTW). I will say this, the last 8-9K miles have been pretty much trouble free aside from that pesky sensor wire. I just checked my valves a little while ago and the intakes are way too tight. That's my fault for stretching out the interval and for letting a dealership check em the last time. I'm never letting any dealer check my valves again on any bike. Hopefully I didn't do any valve damage.

david.tory
09-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Albie,
What kind of non-engine related issues have you experienced with your 690?
Thanks.

Coolhand
09-26-2011, 01:08 AM
The 570 felt way better: more comfortable seat and smaller than the 690 Enduro.

David, I think you just answered your own question there. :) The oil change intervals on my 450 EXC drive me a bit nuts but I have SO much darned fun riding that thing I don't care.

I was thinking FE 570 not FS 570... yeah I could see flat footing the FS.

david.tory
09-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear about this **** issues with the bike. DRZ400SM would be right up my alley if it was not carburated:( I love FI...and I had a carburated Kawasaki Ninja 500 r in the past. Fi spoiled me! If only the Japanese would FI all their dualsports! Wishful thinking!

Hood Ornament
09-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Oh right, the FS is the sumo version. Does make sense now.

Hood Ornament
09-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Sorry to hear about this **** issues with the bike. DRZ400SM would be right up my alley if it was not carburated:( I love FI...and I had a carburated Kawasaki Ninja 500 r in the past. Fi spoiled me! If only the Japanese would FI all their dualsports! Wishful thinking!

Yamaha WR 250R and X is FI. You can pick up brand new 08 model X's for a song.

Hood Ornament
09-26-2011, 07:23 AM
OK, Back on topic :mrgreen:

While doing my valve check yesterday I also checked the rocker arm roller bearings which some people have had issues with severe scoring on. Mine look pretty much normal for over 21K miles. I really love how easy it is to do a valve adjustment on these bikes. At least on the motor the KTM engineering shines.

http://www.novoworks.com/misc/albie/690valve1.jpg

http://www.novoworks.com/misc/albie/690valve2.jpg

david.tory
09-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Yamaha WR 250R and X is FI. You can pick up brand new 08 model X's for a song.
Albie,
Thank you for your recommendation. I also considered it. Again, I am spoiled with 60HP and 45FT LBS of torque on the Strom. I do not believe I would be happy with the low end and midrange of the WR250R/X. Now...if only Yamaha came out with a WR450R/X!

gixxerjasen
09-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear about this **** issues with the bike. DRZ400SM would be right up my alley if it was not carburated:( I love FII love FI too!

Oh wait, I have three bikes in my garage and all of them are carburated.

I'm slowly learning the dark arts of carburation but I'd still rather plug my bike into a computer. That said, I would not hesitate to pick up a DRZ400, especially if you are planning on the bike being a commuter. You shouldn't have to do much with the carb on that bike and while you do want to stay on top of the oil changes, they are darn easy and it doesn't take that much oil (part of the reason you need to stay on top of them.) Filters can be had for cheap at Napa if you search thumpertalk. Add on top of that the bikes are dang bulletproof and lots of knowledge out there and you can pick em up for cheap. I'll likely have another one in my garage in the next year or so hopefully.

david.tory
09-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Gixxerjasen,
Thank you for your thoughtful recommendation. The only reason a buddy of mine in Clarsvill, TN has a DRZ400S is because...wait for it...I recommended it to him about 6 years ago. He could not be happier!

Electrified
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM

I plunked down a deposit on a 2011 FE 570 yesterday and will pick it up on Friday. They are not cheap bikes no matter what but they are currently $2000 off. I was in the XC-W 6 Days - FE 570 loop and in the end, the FI was the deciding factor even though the XC-W would have been $1,000 cheaper even after plating it.

Coolhand
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
How can you even do this to us WITH NO PICTURES!!! :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Haha! Good times man, look forward to hearing a review once you pick it up. :rider:

gtunche
04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Check us out on FACE BOOK Adventure World Riders

Ouroboros
01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Reviving an old thread. Just picked up a 2011 model with 399 miles. I have only rode it about 20-30 miles so far and I am impressed. Power is great, front tire should last 10-15Kand rears maybe 1K? lol. Just ordered a new slip on. The nuclear reactor the factory puts on them is freaky hot! I have performed the radiator mod and will be doing the fuel line and fan mod this evening.

Electrified
01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Nice pick up!:thumb:

Dirtrideroader
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I have performed the radiator mod and will be doing the fuel line and fan mod this evening.

Help an old guy out. I know, I could do a little research and find the mods of which you speak, but could you explain what the above mods are?
Or at least give me a hint where to look besides the monster thread on ADVrider.

Thanks,

Ouroboros
01-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Help an old guy out. I know, I could do a little research and find the mods of which you speak, but could you explain what the above mods are?
Or at least give me a hint where to look besides the monster thread on ADVrider.

Thanks,

Radiator guard mod: When the the bike takes a nap the cowlings will displace the radiator guard causing the bolts to rip out of the radiator causing a leak. Remove the bolts and attach the guard with zip ties, this allows some movement. I used two on top and two on the bottom.

Fuel line: The fuel line will rub on a bolt head and eventually wear through causing a leak.Find where the fuel line rubs on a hex headed bolt and use a zip tie to hold it away from the bolt.

Radiator Fan: Apparently it will eventually work its way into the radiator. Use either washers or weather stripping to increase the distance between the fan and radiator.

Rsquared
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Reviving an old thread. Just picked up a 2011 model with 399 miles.

How does it compare with the TE630?

Ouroboros
01-06-2014, 05:04 PM
With limited seat time on the KTM I can definitely say it has way more power!!!

Rsquared
01-06-2014, 06:12 PM
With limited seat time on the KTM I can definitely say it has way more power!!!

I was afraid of that...

woodsguy
01-06-2014, 06:47 PM
You still have the 630?

Ouroboros
01-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Nope. Replaced it.

AZ_Dustin
01-06-2014, 07:04 PM
I got my 690 off Sprocket. I am at the 10,000 mile mark, not all mine. It is very hard on the rear tires, maybe because it is a blast to ride. I was riding mine about 25 miles a day commuting to and from work. I finally had to stop. It is too tempting for me to just go around all the traffic.

Only issue that I have is that when it gets hot it tries to die on me. I am going to change the fuel pump to http://www.ktmtwins.com/ca-cycleworks-ktm-250-350-690-fuel-pump-upgrade
and it has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

First pic is how I got it from Sprocket
I put the orange plastics back on it with the Safari tank
I took off the Safari tank
What is the point of having 6 gallons when everyone else only has 2
I keep the Safari for long trips:rider:

P.S. Can't thank Sprocket enough, he is a great guy to buy from.

SilverBullet
01-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Reviving an old thread. Just picked up a 2011 model with 399 miles. I have only rode it about 20-30 miles so far and I am impressed. Power is great, front tire should last 10-15Kand rears maybe 1K? lol. Just ordered a new slip on. The nuclear reactor the factory puts on them is freaky hot! I have performed the radiator mod and will be doing the fuel line and fan mod this evening.

Keep up with the mods Dave and make all the needed improvements for me. I know your track record of keeping bikes for only a year or so before moving on. So watching this 690 of yours and waiting as it might be my next dual sport once you're done with it, hahaha

_

bwdmax
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Keep up with the mods Dave and make all the needed improvements for me. I know your track record of keeping bikes for only a year or so before moving on. So watching this 690 of yours and waiting as it might be my next dual sport once you're done with it, hahaha

_

It is a little bit creepy to think that SB is inside of my head.:eek2:

Ouroboros
01-07-2014, 08:23 AM
I got my 690 off Sprocket. I am at the 10,000 mile mark, not all mine. It is very hard on the rear tires, maybe because it is a blast to ride. I was riding mine about 25 miles a day commuting to and from work. I finally had to stop. It is too tempting for me to just go around all the traffic.

Only issue that I have is that when it gets hot it tries to die on me. I am going to change the fuel pump to http://www.ktmtwins.com/ca-cycleworks-ktm-250-350-690-fuel-pump-upgrade
and it has the turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

First pic is how I got it from Sprocket
I put the orange plastics back on it with the Safari tank
I took off the Safari tank
What is the point of having 6 gallons when everyone else only has 2
I keep the Safari for long trips:rider:

P.S. Can't thank Sprocket enough, he is a great guy to buy from.

How do you like that tank? Any issues?

BIG A
01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I also have a 690 and I run the Safari tank, have had it on for several years and have had no issues.
The only down thing that may bother you is the extra weight when both tanks are full, but has never bothered me, what I do like is the 250 plus mile range.

Ouroboros
01-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I also have a 690 and I run the Safari tank, have had it on for several years and have had no issues.
The only down thing that may bother you is the extra weight when both tanks are full, but has never bothered me, what I do like is the 250 plus mile range.

Your bike looks well sorted. Are those Wolfman racks?

BIG A
01-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Yes they are Wolfman racks, they are the best. Also has flatlander skid plate, K&N air filter,all the desmog mods, and just added the best mod you can do to it is the new Rally Raid manual adjustable timing chain adjuster, I had already gone through 3 stock hydraulic lifters before they came out with this great upgrade, you can find them on KTM Twin site.
Also you might as well go ahead and get the fuel pump upgrade, easy to install.:thumb:

Ouroboros
01-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Looks like I have ordering to do! Thanks for the info.

Irishcoffee
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
I was afraid of that...

Thought you sold that thing.

Ouroboros
01-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Thought you sold that thing.

He did. I bought it. Then I sold it. Hence the question how does it compare? They do not compare. The KTM is a beast compared to the TE630. I would have kept the Husky but the uncertain future of the company and parts availability on a one year production bike did not look promising. I have had and ridden some other 650 class dual sports. The KTM is in a different league all together. Looking forward to some better riding weather later this week. I willl post up my observations.

kickstand~prophet
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
sjnhc-4274419016@sale.craigslist.org

2008 KTM 690 $8995 on Dallas Craigslist.

Ouroboros
01-07-2014, 03:17 PM
sjnhc-4274419016@sale.craigslist.org

2008 KTM 690 $8995 on Dallas Craigslist.

Way more than I paid for my 2011 with 399 miles. It is loaded with all the best upgrades though.

SilverBullet
01-07-2014, 06:15 PM
...Hence the question how does it compare? They do not compare. The KTM is a beast compared to the TE630...

For power yes, well known the 690 has 5-10hp edge. I'm interested in everything else, handling, ride, gearing, revs at speed, EFI smoothness, etc. Did you ride the TE long enough and under enough different terrain to comment?

_

Ouroboros
01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
For power yes, well known the 690 has 5-10hp edge. I'm interested in everything else, handling, ride, gearing, revs at speed, EFI smoothness, etc. Did you ride the TE long enough and under enough different terrain to comment?

_

Handling and ride will take some time to evaluate. I'll need time to sort out the suspension. EFI smoothness will go to the KTM, easy call. Gearing? The KTM does seem a bit tall stock for slow work. Did I have the TE long enough to comment? That is a highly subjective question to answer. I have been riding since my early teens. Rode open class expert enduros and hare scrambles for a shop in Houston while going to college. Pretty sure I can evaluate a bike after a year of ownership.

AZ_Dustin
01-07-2014, 07:02 PM
How do you like that tank? Any issues?

I liked the tank, but it was just too much fuel for my local riding. I kept the tank because I want to do some longer rides on it.

Big A, I ordered my fuel pump, and timing chain adjuster last night. The pump is back ordered. You should have time to get healed up before I am ready to tackle it. I also ordered yet another rear tire too. Those **** things don't last on these big beasts. :rider:

SilverBullet
01-07-2014, 08:12 PM
...I have been riding since my early teens. Rode open class expert enduros and hare scrambles for a shop in Houston while going to college. Pretty sure I can evaluate a bike after a year of ownership.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't insinuating that in any way. just that I knew that between Roger and you that bike barely got over a thousand miles. that's not a lot of seat time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

BIG A
01-07-2014, 09:21 PM
I liked the tank, but it was just too much fuel for my local riding. I kept the tank because I want to do some longer rides on it.

Big A, I ordered my fuel pump, and timing chain adjuster last night. The pump is back ordered. You should have time to get healed up before I am ready to tackle it. I also ordered yet another rear tire too. Those **** things don't last on these big beasts. :rider:

I don't have surgery until next month , so when your ready let me know, we can also mount the tire if you want

Ouroboros
01-08-2014, 05:58 AM
...I have been riding since my early teens. Rode open class expert enduros and hare scrambles for a shop in Houston while going to college. Pretty sure I can evaluate a bike after a year of ownership.

I wasn't insinuating that in any way. just that I knew that between Roger and you that bike barely got over a thousand miles. that's not a lot of seat time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

I did not take it that way. I did get the suspension dialed in on that bike fairly easily. Did some single track, dirt roads and brief stints on the highway. Power on the highway was disappointing. And as said before, the future of the company and parts availability was my main reason for selling the bike.

RustyShovel
02-21-2014, 06:53 AM

I get about 100 miles before I hit the .6 gallon reserve. This is a problem I'm gonna address with a 2-gallon rotopax and rack.

The seat is more comfortable than my old WR250R. I was surprised by that, given KTM's reputation of committing seat torture. Even so, I had to fit an Air Hawk pad for my daily commute. With the Air Hawk I can go extended distances in relative comfort.

RustyShovel
02-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Envy. ;-)

Any of you guys do anything about the narrow turn radius? Are there steering stops that you can change out somehow or are you screwed?

There's a tutorial HERE (http://690enduro.createaforum.com/sweet-mods-and-accessories/turning-radius-adjustment/) with pictures!

RustyShovel
02-21-2014, 08:17 AM

I've been commuting 60 miles a day. Perhaps not the best use for a $11k dirt bike, but I'm a one-bike guy. We'll see how this bike handles high mileage. So far so good.

Ouroboros
04-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Has anyone replaced the fuel tank bolts because of failure? Is it really necessary or just internet hype?

BIG A
04-16-2014, 08:49 AM
I think it's like the GS rear ends that are suppose to burst into flames and lock up. I have a 08 and the only thing I have done is when I replaced my fuel pump was replace all the grommets the bolts go through, on the 08 they are kind of soft, and the replacements are a harder material.

Hood Ornament
04-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Has anyone replaced the fuel tank bolts because of failure? Is it really necessary or just internet hype?

Got 30k miles on my 08 with the OEM bolts.

Ouroboros
04-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks, figured it was BS.

RustyShovel
04-16-2014, 04:53 PM
I get about 100 miles before I hit the .6 gallon reserve. This is a problem I'm gonna address with a 2-gallon rotopax and rack.

The seat is more comfortable than my old WR250R. I was surprised by that, given KTM's reputation of committing seat torture. Even so, I had to fit an Air Hawk pad for my daily commute. With the Air Hawk I can go extended distances in relative comfort.

Here's a pic:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ePlEYkiHWUY/U0xFQYvNbnI/AAAAAAAABDw/zhuvqBHwKc0/s912/DSCN5667.JPG

Dirtrideroader
04-17-2014, 10:32 PM

I have replaced mine. I broke one of them in a crash in some sand in Colorado.
I have bought new bushings for the bottom of the tank. I am waiting on the new bottom bolts to replace them. I plan on replacing the upper bolts with the after market type bolts both to hopefully prevent them from breaking in the future and also to prevent the captive nuts from being an issue at some point in the future.

The problem with the factory bolts is how thin they are cut at the threads. That and they support the whole rear of the motorcycle.

Speedweave
04-20-2014, 03:58 AM
Hi, I read this thread with interest as I have had a 690 enduro R for 3 years and no problems !!
I ride in South Africa where there are plenty dirt roads, in fact my 16k have been done almost entirely off road.
When ktm announced they weren't bringing out a 690 rally replica we, ktm Cape Town and I, decided to build our own!!!!
Here's a picture of it, 500kms range, wider seat, better wind protection, cHanged gearing for more top end on those boring bit of tar you occasionally have to do.
Speedweave

Dirtrideroader
04-20-2014, 09:42 PM

I obviously need to read more. I'm not sure what these mods are.

Dirtrideroader
04-20-2014, 09:49 PM

Renazco Racing is who redid the seat. They did a great job.
Only thing I'd do different is get the top material done in a waterproof material instead of the suede.

kd5gje
05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Can yall please weigh in a bit for me? I am casually searching for another bike, ended up selling mine about seven years ago (GSXR600). I don't want the sport bike anymore but want a dual sport. I have wanted an F800GS for the past few years but the price kept me from it. Now that I am getting more serious, I have been thinking of a KLR or WeeStrom. Then, I stumble across this 690 Enduro R.

I would probably ride the pavement the most but do live on a good size ranch and do like the thought of back roads (gravel and dirt included). I also want to take trips to Colorado, wheather I ride there or toat it there then ride. Other areas would be great too.

Initially I thought the twin engines would last longer. For example right now someone has a WeeStrom for sale that has 70K on it and I was told by guys that have them that it might could go another 70K. Then, I looked at the DRZ400 and have so far only seen them less than 20K miles. But, I hear of people taking the KLR across continents many times in it's life. Does anyone have experience with the 690 Enduro R at higher milage? Anything to think about when it gets to 50K?

If I get one I would want to get it for the long haul, that's why I ask. Then again, I see a new '13 F800GS for nearly the same price as a new '14 690 Enduro R.

Oh yea, I haven't seen what the stator puts out. Does anyone have extra lights, GPS, heated vests, etc. on this bike?

Thank you for any help given.

RustyShovel
05-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Does anyone have experience with the 690 Enduro R at higher milage? Anything to think about when it gets to 50K?

If I get one I would want to get it for the long haul, that's why I ask. Then again, I see a new '13 F800GS for nearly the same price as a new '14 690 Enduro R.

Oh yea, I haven't seen what the stator puts out. Does anyone have extra lights, GPS, heated vests, etc. on this bike?

Thank you for any help given.

Hey KD,

Here's a terrific article which addresses your stator question and others: ARTICLE (http://allroadendurotouring.com/allroad-touring-enduros/light-adventure-touring-enduros/ktm-690-enduro-r-2013/)

I currently have both GPS and supplementary lights hardwired to my 690 without issue. From what I've read on the 690enduro Forum (http://690enduro.createaforum.com/index.php), I should have enough juice left to run a single heated item. If you want to run a full heated vest, boots, gloves, and grips...you could run into problems.

I chose the 690 because I like to ride solo into rugged areas. I used to ride a WR250R. It was a great bike, but it just didn't have enough power to maintain speed on the interstate when I was loaded down. A GS, even the 800, is too heavy to ride into rough terrain alone (IMHO).

I'm more of an explorer than a racer, so I tend not to have spectacular crashes. But if you ride in mud, or sand, or rock gardens, you're going to drop your bike. As long as your bike is armored up, this isn't a problem...as long as you can pick the bike up. A single rider can pick up a GS if he has good footing and the bike is on a level surface. The only problem? That's NEVER where you dump it! You fall on an off-camber hill climb, or a muddy stream crossing, or...you get the picture.

That extra 150 pounds make a huge difference in where you can go. The 690 can go anywhere my old 250 could go, plus it has the power to manage freeway speeds. It's the perfect one-bike solution for me.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8ZPdm32NFFQ/Ux3PDzwzUKI/AAAAAAAAA4k/9NQfpyd79l0/w1151-h863-no/DSCN5586.JPG