• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tubliss tire system?

Reaction score
Anyone heard of these guys or use something like this?

tubliss_vertical.jpg

TUbliss® is a full circumference pneumatic rim lock which secures the entire tire bead to the rim, completely eliminating the use of a conventional tube!

Sure, we know what you're thinking. You're looking at the photo and saying "I get it! I put that in my tire and the tube over it." Wrong. It's a whole new way to ride. The age of the tube is over.

TUbliss® completely replaces the conventional tube while delivering several key performance features that's scoring points and lap times with racers and riders everywhere.

Benefits:

Virtually flat proof
Runs cooler
Quicker acceleration
No pinched tubes
Reduces unsprung weight
Secures tire bead

Watch the installation video
and see how it's done...

WEIGHT SAVINGS
A weight savings of up to 3 pounds per wheel instantly translates into less rotating weight and increases acceleration. Less unsprung weight allows significant suspension performance gains. Experts say that eliminating a pound of rotating unsprung weight is equivalent to dropping 5 pounds of static weight!

ELIMINATE FLATS FROM PINCHED TUBES
You have no tubes to be concerned with, so you'll never pinch a tube! Replace old technology with a stronger, modern and efficient system. Even if you get a tire puncture, the bead stays seated to the rim.

VIRTUALLY FLAT PROOF
TUbliss really is virtually flat proof when used with a tire sealant. Sealants can't work on tubes where holes in the rubber stretch and tear. With TUbliss, your sealant works directly on the tire where it matters. Plus, the design of TUbliss helps keep the tire on the seated on the bead and sidewalls more stable, virtually making "flat wobbles" a thing of the past. Riders have reported riding longer and harder, completely unaware that they had a tire puncture.

IMPROVED TRACTION
Tubliss® secures the bead so securely that it allows a low tire pressure for improved straight line traction without the risk of a pinch flat or tire bead slippage!

RUNS COOLER
Without the weight and friction of a conventional tube installed, tire temperatures are greatly reduced. This also eliminates tire pressure increases during the course of a moto.

RIM PROTECTION
TUbliss protects the rim from dings and dents by holding the tire firmly and making the sidewalls stay upright and absorb the full impact, unlike bending and deflection of conventional tubes.

TUBLISS® SYSTEMS (retail $99.95)
Currently available in three sizes:
• 18" TUbliss® System - Fits 18”x (1.85-2.15”) rims
• 19" TUbliss® System - Fits 19”x(1.85”-2.15”) rims
• 21" TUbliss® System - Fits 21”x1.6” rims, retail

http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

I'm tire of flats and I know there has to be something out there. If I can't find it then off to the garage I'll go to start inventing. This time I'll have to ignore the neighbors offer for free beer to get me to shut down for the night.:chug:

A friend has been looking at these for running in Baja. He's been talking it up pretty hard. I think he wants me to be the Guinea pig. :lol2: Interesting system that I'd like to hear some unbiased reviews about before I plunk down the cash.

The advertisement has some contradictions in it. Being pneumatic it uses compressed air to keep tension on the beads. So it is actually a low clearance inner tube, not tubeless.

The claim of saving three pounds per wheel is very optimistic. My conventional inner tubes weigh about a pound each, heavy duty tubes about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each. And yes, I weighed a few front and rear tubes to validate the numbers. So how is a three pound per wheel weight savings achieved?

What supports the tire beyond the bead? Even MX tires must run some air to support the carcass. If this traps air in the tire itself it will be at or near atmospheric pressure. There may be some compression due to inflation of the Tubliss, but it will not be 5 psi, and it will not stay.

Maybe I am too skeptical.

The advertisement has some contradictions in it. Being pneumatic it uses compressed air to keep tension on the beads. So it is actually a low clearance inner tube, not tubeless.

The claim of saving three pounds per wheel is very optimistic. My conventional inner tubes weigh about a pound each, heavy duty tubes about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds each. And yes, I weighed a few front and rear tubes to validate the numbers. So how is a three pound per wheel weight savings achieved?

What supports the tire beyond the bead? Even MX tires must run some air to support the carcass. If this traps air in the tire itself it will be at or near atmospheric pressure. There may be some compression due to inflation of the Tubliss, but it will not be 5 psi, and it will not stay.

Maybe I am too skeptical.

You are correct Ed. It is a "tube"-type system, just not a typical tube system that we are used to. But it is certainly not tubeless.

The way the tire is supported is with air. The small tube squeezes the tire to the bead and also makes an air-tight seal around the spoke nipples. Then there is another valve that allows you to add air into the main body of the tire.

I looked at these and while they are pretty nifty because they allow you the ability of plugging a tire, I'd still be worried if my tire suffered a slice or something similar. With a typical tube, I'd just change the tube and limp home. With this system I'd be stuck.

I think the 3 pounds might be stretching it, but you have to remember. For a back wheel like my WR, you are saving the weight of the typical tube, plus two pretty heavy rim-locks since they are no longer used with this system.

I've got a friend who used them in Cloudcroft a week ago. He found that they weren't indestructible. He's already contacted the manufacturer and is getting some replacement parts. I don't have the whole story yet, but he had a failure in one or some of the parts. Not a puncture in the mini tube that holds the bead.

Thanks for the info. I forgot about the rim locks. :doh:
Count me among the 'wait and see' crowd on this one.

$99 per tire? :eek2:, that's what? 10 tubes?

$99 per tire? :eek2:, that's what? 10 tubes?

How long does it take you to change those 10 tubes out on the trail or side of the highway?

I would be game to try these once proven.

I have had three semi recent flats on my KLR all have been on the rear tire on the street, none in the woods. It wasn't any fun changing a rear tube on the side of I-820 on the way to work one morning. If I could just plug a tire as Bill mentioned, or run Slime or Ride On and not worry about flats at all, it would be a great time saver.

I am running them right now with only a few trips down the beach as of now.

Love them, running 15psi when I want.

I know a few others here on the board running them also. But like stated above. They are not indestructible. But the first time I have a flat and only have to plug and go they will pay for themselves

I've got a friend who used them in Cloudcroft a week ago. He found that they weren't indestructible. He's already contacted the manufacturer and is getting some replacement parts. I don't have the whole story yet, but he had a failure in one or some of the parts. Not a puncture in the mini tube that holds the bead.

These really have my attention right now and if I do take the plunge there is no way I'd leave home without an spare tube. I'm thinking if there were some catastrophic failure to the mini tube I could just pull it and stick a regular tube in.

I am running them right now with only a few trips down the beach as of now.

Love them, running 15psi when I want.

I know a few others here on the board running them also. But like stated above. They are not indestructible. But the first time I have a flat and only have to plug and go they will pay for themselves

How well does the mini tube hold air, do you have to check it every week? I'm horrible about using a gauge to check my tires and just push on them, if they don't keep air for extended periods it would be a real concern for me.

How well does the mini tube hold air, do you have to check it every week? I'm horrible about using a gauge to check my tires and just push on them, if they don't keep air for extended periods it would be a real concern for me.

Bike has set for about 2 weeks and I check the air the other day and only lost just about 5 lbs each tire. I believe that is good.

I also still cary a spare front tube just in case. It will get me out at least.

Customer service from Neutech is supposed to be great.

Being one of those unlucky people that have had to change multiple tubes on a ride I jumped on the Tubliss setup. Have had it for about 6 months on the 450 EXC and haven't suffered a falt since installing them. Most of my flats are from pinching the tubes from my retardedly aggressive riding. As far as I can tell there's not much chance of pinching that mini-tube, and so far I haven't. One cool thing abut the system is you can run stupid low pressures on your tires. I usually run at around 10 - 12 PSI these days, something I'd never consider doing with tubes. A buddy of mine runs em at 8 PSI!

BTW, if the tire does get a slice or unrepairable type flat, you can still ride the bike as the bead stays sealed so it's actually better then tubes in that respect.

As for the weight savings, well, I have to count the tubes in the tire and a spare set I have to carry as well. I'd say that's easily 3 pounds a wheel. :lol2:

How do they compare to a foam tube system? Are they safe for short road use at some speed?

Just wondering as its tire time for the drz and was looking for something so I dont have to worry about tubes quite as much.

I would think that the Tubliss system would be the cat's meow on the road. Afterall, what do most street bikes have (tubeless tires). Without that extra piece of rubber in there It should allow the tire to cool much, much faster.

To me it looks like it is just a Staun's BeadLock for a Dirt Bike

asking in ignorance. How does a plug hold up on a carcass that gets the kind of flex I would think an off-road tire gets running low psi?

How does a plug hold up on a carcass that gets the kind of flex I would think an off-road tire gets running low psi?

I have some experience using plugs in light truck tires used for rock crawling and they stay put, even going from highway pressures and speeds, then down to 10psi and massive tread/sidewall deformation being smeared over rocks, and then back to road pressure.

I would use the string plugs, like the ones you get at any gas station or convenience store. Use lots of rubber cement, insert, trim, and go. I have never had one fail on me. OF course, those were all on street tires.

I sure could have used this gadget on my last Arkansas trip... It would have saved me a lot of hassle after picking up a nail.

asking in ignorance. How does a plug hold up on a carcass that gets the kind of flex I would think an off-road tire gets running low psi?

They hold up in ATV tires 3-5psi, but only for a couple of years.

Was it Dao? So was it a failure due to defect, or did he just find its design limits?

Back