• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt/gravel Roads around H-town

DT2.0

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about where I could log a few miles on some dirt and/or gravel roads in the Houston area? I just bought a WeeStrom and would like to get her off the pavement a little. Obviously with this bike, I am not looking for any dirt bike-type of riding. Just trying to get off the asphalt a little bit. Most of the roads that I have noticed as I have ridden around the area seemed to be private roads with locked gates.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Peace.

DT

Hopefully Donnie (fjrtx) will chime in. IIRC he knows of severl miles of dirt roads on the west side of town.

That would be great. I know they're out there, just don't know where to find 'em.

Peace.

DT

He's a regular at Katy Bike night on Wednesdays. If he doesn't chime in I'll ask him this week.

Or you could always come join us for empenadas :eat:

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, I usually can't get out on the weekdays due to work. Really appreciate you asking for me though.

Peace.

DT

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, I usually can't get out on the weekdays due to work. Really appreciate you asking for me though.

Peace.

DT

Sam Houston National Forest north of town has several fairly tame dirt roads. You can also get a permit and do the single track thing. I did some some single track on my GS and it wasn't all that fun.

Take 45 north to the New Waverly/ FM 1375 exit and go west on 1375. Up about 6 miles, you'll find NF 215 to your right. You can turn right at the first fork and go to Stubblefield Lake or take the left fork to 1374. Right at 1374 is back to 45 and left will take you to Huntsville. You will encounter plenty of other dirt roads in the National Forest.

If you're interested, I could meet you and take you up there.

Sam Houston National Forest north of town has several fairly tame dirt roads. You can also get a permit and do the single track thing. I did some some single track on my GS and it wasn't all that fun.

Take 45 north to the New Waverly/ FM 1375 exit and go west on 1375. Up about 6 miles, you'll find NF 215 to your right. You can turn right at the first fork and go to Stubblefield Lake or take the left fork to 1374. Right at 1374 is back to 45 and left will take you to Huntsville. You will encounter plenty of other dirt roads in the National Forest.

If you're interested, I could meet you and take you up there.

Or try 1375 to FR 215, turn right. Don't take the first right at the fork, bear left instead and follow that to FM 1791, turn right and go 1/8 or 1/4 mile to FR 209 and turn left. Follow 209 to the fork and bear to the left, follow that to the paved road, I think it is Taliferro or something like that and bear to the left again. Take Taliferro to FM 1791 and turn left again, you will pass the intersection where you turned right onto 1791 and can either head back toward Stubblefield or continue on 1791 to HWY 30, turn left and head into Huntsville. Follow 30 to HWY 190. Go east on 190 to Four Notch Road and turn right. Follow Four Notch to FM 1375 and turn right which will take you back to New Waverly. It has been a while since I was on Four Notch Road so it maybe paved now but there is a bunch of Forest Service roads in the area which will run you all over that side of the forest.

I tried pretty hard last year to find some dirt roads near houston. I was only marginally successful. The best resource I was able to find as MAPSCO's "The Roads of Texas" atlas.

Good luck!

Thanks for the good info. A buddy and I are gonna go check out some of the dirt roads suggested in and around Sam Houston National Forest this Saturday morning. First off road I have done since I was a kid so I am looking forward to it, even if its pretty tame (at least for starters!).

Thanks again. Peace.

DT

Back