• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Most Radical Tail Light Ever & 1979 XS650 Project

Reaction score
BlingR.jpg

BlingCU.jpg

The tail/brake light is an antique Coleman lantern I think. The lens is a cast red glass hand. It is lit by a bulb from underneath.
Check out the pipe hanger.
No rear fender.

right2.jpg

That bike was the inspiration for my own dual tail/brake lights. I don't have turn signals.

I am posting this in response to questions from another thread. I guess this will serve as my "introduction," so here are some more pics:

right.jpg

My grips and seat are now black. The racoon tail died of natural causes.

teardrop.jpg

Swiss-cheesed my teardrop air cleaner. Dipped the brake pedal in red Plasticoat. BMX pedal footpegs from eBay.

bandana.jpg

Using a bandana on the fork tubes instead of gaiters.

rotor2.jpg

Painted my rotor.

on.jpg

Chopped the headlight eyebrow.

battery.jpg

Had the tins powder coated, did all of the rest of the paint myself.

Lengine.jpg

Painted my oil filter before I spun it on.

headbolts.jpg

Top die is the fuel petcock. Bottom die is the enrichener (choke) knob.

can1.jpg

can2.jpg

Crankcase breather catch-can and drive rotor.

spoke1.jpg

My favorite pic.

RustBridge.jpg

My most recent pic.

Re: Most Radical Tail Light Ever

LOL, those passenger pegs crack me up! :lol2:

very cool!

didn't really pay attention to the passenger pegs at first, and now I wish I hadn't

didn't really pay attention to the passenger pegs at first, and now I wish I hadn't
Yes, I do get some hate on the passenger pegs. However, they are very important for balancing the color, and emphasizing the horizontal flow. In other words, it's aesthetics, not a social commentary or lifestyle advertisement.

Yes, I do get some hate on the passenger pegs. However, they are very important for balancing the color, and emphasizing the horizontal flow. In other words, it's aesthetics, not a social commentary or lifestyle advertisement.

I wasn't hate'n.
Honestly I thought they were lights at first, like the dudes on the run way at the airport. I thought maybe they were turn signals. Now I know they're "turn-on" signals :rofl:

I wasn't hate'n.
Honestly I thought they were lights at first, like the dudes on the run way at the airport. I thought maybe they were turn signals. Now I know they're "turn-on" signals :rofl:

I though the same. :rofl: the "turn-on" signals :rofl:

That is a CUSTOM bike :clap:

I do not think the flashlights do justice to the rest of the bike.

I wasn't hate'n... ...Now I know they're "turn-on" signals :rofl:
I know, but I do get a small amount of hate regarding them.
I've heard it all, but "turn-on" signals is new.
They started out as vibrators, very inexpensive from an online supplier. I took the mechanisms out -- but they still vibrate when I start the bike up!
I though the same. :rofl: the "turn-on" signals :rofl:

That is a CUSTOM bike :clap:

I do not think the flashlights do justice to the rest of the bike.
Those are 99 cent promotional Eveready flashlights. Some have told me to switch to red metal Mag-Lights. But, those plastic lights were the genesis of the whole build. Inspired by the Iron Head. They are my favorite mod, no way I'm changing.

That thing is great. I'd love to have something like that, but I have absolutely zero artistic talent or ability. If a mod doesn't involve unbolting one part and bolting another in its place, I don't even attempt it.

Those are 99 cent promotional Eveready flashlights. Some have told me to switch to red metal Mag-Lights. But, those plastic lights were the genesis of the whole build. Inspired by the Iron Head. They are my favorite mod, no way I'm changing.

I see your point, they are more than just one part.

I do not get the DIE logo. What is it?

That is truly an awe-inspiring (and aaaahhhhh-inspiring with the passenger pegs) bike. Very very impressive. :clap::clap:

I wish I had the creativity and skill to pull that off.

Thanks for all the comments.
I do not get the DIE logo. What is it?
Well, I'm glad you asked.

"DIE" is a double-entendre. Yes, I am telling the world to die, which jibes with the whole Harley eff-off attitude thing, but without resorting to the hackneyed skull emblems that a lot of "customizers" use. And, of course, a single dice is a die, which was one of the genesis's of my bike's theme.

There's actually quite a bit more to it than that, but that should work for now...

Love the brat style bikes, this is definitely a great looking bike!

who did your seat?

Love the brat style bikes, this is definitely a great looking bike!
who did your seat?
People, including me, have a really hard time figuring out what the right name for the style of my bike is. I've never heard "brat" before, but maybe that's what it is.

The black seat is a Biltwell mounted with a Biltwell hinge. The old red seat was a West Eagle.

People, including me, have a really hard time figuring out what the right name for the style of my bike is. I've never heard "brat" before, but maybe that's what it is.

The black seat is a Biltwell mounted with a Biltwell hinge. The old red seat was a West Eagle.

I found them when looking for something similar for a XS650 conversion. Apparently, Bratstyle started over in Japan, and has become this:

http://www.bratstyle.com/

with this being my favorite XS :
Bratstyle1.jpg

And this my favorite HD:
photo%203706.jpg

I dont know if the term is accurate, but they are good looking bikes

Yeah, after reading your post, I Googled "brat motorcycle." I definitely see similarities, but I need to do more research.

The next few people who ask me what it is (a lot of people don't even realize it's a Harley), I'm going to tell them it's a brat or a Harley brat, and see what their reaction is.

I'm in Austin.
I believe Walser's album is a tribute to "The Texas Top Hands," a western swing band that formed in 1941 and possibly still occasionally performs. I used to see Don perform for free in a small room at a local Mexican food joint. It was like having him perform in your living room.

The old tour bus in the pic is permanently parked in front of the world-famous Broken Spoke in Austin. The same day I took that picture, I took this one of the front door:
spoke2.jpg

I need to get down to the Broken Spoke. I've been in Austin 5+ years and haven't crossed their threshold yet. :giveup:

Back