PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Gauges

Rdslvr04
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Ok y'all. Now my compulsiveness just shot up by 1000 points. Thanks to a previous post I am now wondering if my air pressure gauge is working correctly. Is there or does anyone know of a pressure gauge that actually works correctly and can be checked on a regular basis for its accuracy?

P.S. Now no one please say any thing about chain maintenance/repair tools. :lol:

[Moved to Hardware - Mod.]

wabbit
06-14-2005, 10:10 PM
I've got a digital one from pep boys it suits me well. It is accurate to within .5 psi according to the box.

I am not sure abosulte accuracy is necessary because tire pressure changes with outside air temp as the air heats up and expands. Your tire pressure also changes as the tires heat up from riding on them. I am no expert but I imagine .5psi accuracy is good for all but Valentino Rossi and company.

kurt
06-14-2005, 10:15 PM
I 've got one of these. And three others. This one seems to be the best, and I like the fact it holds the reading and you can slightly overinflate then bleed the pressure down with the pressure release.

http://www.smart-traveler.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/accu-gage_h60x2.jpg

I've been known to check mine against the gauge on the air compressor just as a comparison.

Red5
06-15-2005, 12:10 AM
+1 on the Accu-Gage choice. A bit bulky and heavy, but it's very accurate and the pressure release is a nice feature. Only problem I encountered was the screws on the back of the face plate came loose on my first one and got lost when carrying it around in my tail trunk. That made the face on the front jiggle around whenever I tried using it. Bought another and haven't had any problems since.

-Frank

Chirpy
06-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Pete Martins, the old Dunlop guy at the track, used to have an apparatus that he'd set up to check gauges. It was a pain to set up, but according to him the digital gauges are usually pretty good. The AccuGauges are pretty good, but a lot of the other dial stuff can be pretty wonky.

Don't know if Pat has it or if he sets it up on a regular basis.

Tourmeister
06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
:tab Does the end of the hose on the Accu-gage just slide over the end of the valve stem and self lock? Randy "RJS" Simmons had one of those on the Big Bend trip, very cool. The end of the hose just pushed down on the stem and had a spring loaded clip inside it that locked to the threads of the stem. Then after you were done, you just push a little release on the side and it slides right off. None of that nonsense like the kind that have the little levers you have to flip over while trying to hold the hose on the stem... The other cool thing about the guage he had is that you could put it on the tire, then add air through a stem on the guage and use the guage to watch the pressure while you are filling the tire. It also has the release so you can let the pressure down in a controlled manner.

:tab I want one of those.

Adios,

kurt
06-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Mine doesn't lock on, but that would be a cool feature.

Jesse H
06-15-2005, 11:44 AM
I have an accu-gauge as well.

The hausfield-campbell gauge on my bicycle pump is ~15psi high, meanwhile the walmart brand dial gauge (that looks like the accu-gauge) reads 10psi high.

Reason I'm prone to beleiving the accugauge is because the Miata is very sensitive to tire pressure and 32 psi according to the accu-gauge feels right while 32psi according to the cheapy gauge doesn't. Not very scientific but works for me at the autoX and TWS. :-)

Red5
06-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Does the end of the hose on the Accu-gage just slide over the end of the valve stem and self lock?
Mine doesn't have the self-locking mechanism or the release lever, but it does attaches cleanly and tightly. I bought my Accu-gage at Pep Boys and there was another model available, the "upgraded" one, that had the additional stem to fill air straight into the tire while using the gauge.

I just like using it because of the long flexible hose. It's easier to get around through the rotors and wheel than using the the 99 cent version or even the digital ones.

Tourmeister
06-15-2005, 03:54 PM
:tab The pump straight through is a really nice feature. Randy has one that we used on the Big Bend trip in April. We hooked the gauge to the tire and then the pump to the gauge. This let us watch the pressure while the pump ran and made it very easy to get the pressure right where we wanted it. No pump, check, pump, check...

Adios,

kocook
06-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Because of the tight clearance between the valve and front brake rotors, it is nearly impossible for me to get a good reading with the 45 deg angled heads that are typical on most guages.

When I saw them, I bought the Accu-Gage at CycleGear primarily for the 90 deg head, the pressure release value, and hose extension. I have a couple of these (for each vehicle). I did notice that one of them was 1-1/2 lbs different than the others so accuracy should be checked against multiple guages.

Be sure to get the rubber protective cover. It will make the device last much longer.