• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Forks Upgrade

Also, don't forget to see if the forks are the same length. This could really change your geometry on the front and make your bike handle very different. Sometimes , not good.

Not directly, at the least you'd need the GSXR triple clamps, front wheel, axle, spacers and front brake assy. I don't know whether the GSXR stem would fit the bandit steering head.

You would most diffinately have to remove the GSXR steering stem from the lower triple tree and have a new one designed and machined to the correct lenght to fit the Bandit's frame and also to accept the Bandits stem bearings if they are a differant size than Gixxers.

This is not impossible to due and it has been done many time before, but does require having someone design and machine up the requires parts and install them. :rider:

Ok here is the e-mail i got from Peter Bology at Bology Racing in Austria who took a 1250 and put GSXR forks on it and then tuned it to 150HP.
------------
Hi David!
Nice to hear from you again!

You can use your Bandit Frontwheel but you have to check some things, distance between the brakedisk is the same like GSXR Frontfork? diameter of Brakedisk is same like GSXR Frontend? be sure you wheel is exactly in the middle.

Bottom triple clamp ist stock, upper has to be modified, if you just drill it will be very thin, if you have a fried who can weld aluminium or you can do it your self, just fill the bottom side of the upper clamp becouse the material is very thin there, it wount hold the risers for long. Or by a aftermarket clamp, like this one : http://www.ab-m.de/de/produkte/superbike-umbau/superbike-kits

You can use your original clutch and brake reservoirs, just chanched it for better looking.

The GSXR Frontfork is just a little shorter than the Bandit one. so you get agility, you will like it, it is better on short corners! in Japan are a lot of short corners, not like the USA ;-) i have been in both countrys.

---------

You are right, iam using a GSXR1000K7 Front end, and it works great
Of course a good öhlins will work better, but much better, and the price....you can get used front ends for about 1000$ including the Brakecallipers and clamps. in some cases you have to change the front end spring to a harder one, but the ten and comp units work great! On the Bandit the bottom clamp ist stock GSXR1000K7 (just optimized and painted) , the upper clamp of course is modified to hold raisers and the streetbar. Mastercylinders for brake and clutch i used from B-King.

Good Info , thanks. WoW 150 hp. I'm over powered mentally with what the Bandit has stock. I'll never use it all. ;-(. Probably live loner also at my age. ha ha ha ha.

But, I had inquired about changing the front before and was advised that the Race Tech Gold valve will do almost the same thing for lots less money and headache.

My first front end swap was a '56 Harley 165 front on a '56 Alstate 175. Much longer and put some rake and lift to it. Easier to do wheelies even back then in about '59. ;-)

I just checked the bearings for both the GSXR and the Bandit 1250, and they both use the same lower bearing size of 30x55x17 and the GSXR uses that same bearing for the upper bearing also, but the Bandit uses a 25x47x15upper bearing so you would have to have a new steering stem made up for the conversion to work.

I can't remember exaxtly where I was on the Inet and asking about a fork change out to one of the fine units that are on the go fast 1000's. I was told I'd be better off with the Gold Valves in price vs preformance. I took it to mean the gold valves did about as good a job on his forks as the GXR1000's did.
Unless your were into racing,(then your on the wrong bike ) you would probably not need the extra adjustment factors on the go fast 1000's at the cost of putting one on , say like a bandit, even if the forks were the same lenght. The cost of the machine work the new tri clamps would need, rebuilding the forks plus the purchase of a complete front assembly would be pretty expensive I'm thinking.

Back