• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Southwest Motocross Park, Needville.

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Has anyone been to Southwest Motocross Park in Needville?
http://www.swmxpark.com/
Is it easy/noob friendly? Does it get really crowded? If so, when is a good time to go when there are few people?

For some reason I really want to try out something like this. But I really want something noob friendly, and to go at a time when its not crowded [I don't want to be getting in people's way].
Its part out of curiosity to see what a track is like, and part a way to practice riding at a fast pace w/o trees being really close :lol2:

am I crazy for wanting to take the XR400 to some place like that?

I plan on heading there this weekend with the kids to check it out. I'm a newbie (to dirt) and so are the kids. I'll be riding my WR450 but won't be trying to imitate any sky acrobatics, just putting around and trying to improve dirt skills.

lemme know what you think.
I emailed them and got a nice responce...

During the week you can have the track to yourself. Saturdays are slow and Sunday is our big day. During the summer months its slow out there. I would not worrie too much about being in the way. Plenty of areas to pass. Just keep your lines. That means dont change lanes.

We have a kids track or beginner track, lots of pits or flat areas and the main track is loamy and deep in the corners on the weekends. Weekdays the the track is only watered.

Good luck and stay safe.

as soon as I get the time I'm going to check it out

I've been there a few times, I don't really like MX tracks but it's pretty tame compaired to most. They have covered parking/ pit areas and tons of room outside the track. It's really funny when you are rolling the rythem section and some kid on an 80 flys over your head tripleing the thing

I've heard that place gets really crowded
Yeah it does but like any motocross track the idea is to go during the week to avoid the crowds. Just call before you haul and make sure they're open. You'll get used to the crowds after awhile. I assure you that you won't be the only beginner out there.

thanks for the link! and yeah, that's a little far to drive during the week, especially with the other 2 so close

290 is one that I could make on the way home, if I cut out a little early.
I may not be the only beginner, but will I be the only old beginner? :lol2::

I planning on roaming the bayous this saturday, but I'm kicking around the idea of checking this place out.

Southwest was closed last weekend due to the rain on Friday night so I was not able to check it out. I'll post up when I make it out there.

Southwest was closed last weekend due to the rain on Friday night so I was not able to check it out. I'll post up when I make it out there.

are you going to try this weekend?

I live down the road from the Needville track. I have ridden/driven by there a ton of times and never stopped in. I have a few buddies that go there often. Its not crowded, easier course from what they have said. It does not look too intimidating compared to some I have seen. Good luck and write a review when you get around to checking it out.

I finally made it there a couple of weeks ago. I am not an MXer and have no such experience, just took my kids so they could ride and thus can not speak how it rates as a track vs other mx tracks, or even rate the track itself since I did not ride it.

That said, it is a nice facility. Good size beginner track and a huge and wide regular track with a lot of what looks like very technical and challenging jumps. I would not take my trail bike on there, that's for sure.

No restrooms, just port-a-cans, has some covered areas for watching and setting up. I did not see running water or any other hookups. The owner lives on the property, really nice guy though I forget his name. He's got a bunch of dogs that have the run of the place but are very friendly.

Yeah I went out there a few weeks ago too, and I thought it was great. I jumped my XR400 over the bigger ones, but wasn't brave enough to do any double yet.
Your wr450 would be great out there, heck if the XR can, the wr should be sweet.
Look for my write up with a few pics in the "after the dust settles and mud dries" section

it was nice being able to take several laps at slow pace and not worry about being in peoples way or getting run over.

Next time you go, you should definately take the WR out on the big track.

Back