• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wheel/rim

Sam,
Look into getting it straightened. I bent a front rim on my old '97 R11R years back and my dealer told me to send it to this wheel works place ( forget the name ). But they made it like new and what my dealers #1 mech was telling me, their rims are more true than factory. I forget the cost but like a little over 100 bucks back then.

Depending on the severity of the damage to the rim, I would most likely want to have some sort of crack detection performed on the rim either before but most definitely after the repair was performed to make sure that there is no structural damage to the rim that cannot be seen by the naked eye and that could pose a serious safety risk to you.

Aluminum is not as ductile as steel is, so an aluminum rim can be more easily damaged than steel when bent (cold) in an accident, and because it is less ductile than steel it also does not lend itself to being straightened back out as well as steel does without causing further damage to the material if not done properly.

But even if the rim was straightened properly the rim material could already be damaged beyond the point of being safe to use and that’s why I would never run a straightened aluminum rim without checking it for cracks. :rider:

I bent a rim on my KLR worse than that a year and a half ago and it's still working just fine.

Are U running tubeless tires on UR KLR? Major difference. I noticed the bent rim on my R11R when I went to get on it and the front was flat.

Bandito,
I would hope that people like Woodies would inspect the wheels after straightening. I don't remember whom was doing the stuff for BMW in Baton Rouge but due to a soft run of rims in '95 to almost 2000, many rims were having to be straighten by the BMW crowd. Seem to think they were xraying them after straightening. One would hope so anyway. But this plus ground clearance put me back on a spoked wheel GS for the next bike.

Well, I mounted the tire and put it on the bike. Got down and watched it real close as it rolled, sure enough right at the bend there's a wobble:headbang::headbang:. I was hoping. Oh well, I'll keep yall updated on how it goes.

Got my wheel back from Woody's last Monday, I couldn't tell where the bent spot had been. I got everything mounted up that evening, but didn't ride it till Tuesday. Everything seems fine with it, although the new Shinko Raven front tire feels a little weird. But that may be because it doesn't have a flat spot like the stocker did.

Woody's did a great job on turnaround time and price. Hopefully I won't bend a wheel again, but if it happens I'll use them again.

What was the cost on straightening your wheel? If I remember right, my '97 R11R was about 100 bucks with shipping. Been a long time back. Never even felt any bump hard enough to really say : That was the one >. BMW's telever suspension and a soft run of wheels in this time zone did that. But I remember when I got the wheel back, I put a dial indicator on it and it was perfect in both side and vertical runs.

$149 with shipping from Denver. I had to pay about $30 to send it out to them.

Back