• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a new bike.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
New member here. It looks like I'm about to sell my 2003 Suzuki Intruder Volusia (old version of the C50). I've been thinking about the new bike that I'd like to buy. Here are my requirements:

- cruiser, with or without accessories, I can add and remove.
- not brand new, I hate dealerships, but will endure one if I have to.
- < 10,000 miles
- > 1000 CC
- fuel injected
- liquid cooled
- >= 44 mpg
- >= 4.5 gallon tank.
- the ability to cruise at 90 - 110 for an extended period of time without causing nerve damage to my hands due to highway buzz.
- reasonably low maintenance. I don't mind changing the oil and radiator fluid when needed, but I really don't want to have to spend every weekend working on a motorcycle instead of riding it.

My Suzuki was/is a great bike. I love it and hate to see it go. But the reality is, after taking it to Louisiana and back a couple of times, I realize it's not really cut out to do the kind of riding I want to do. It's a little light on the highway, I tend to get pushed around by gusty winds too much. Too much buzz at high speeds, and while it is liquid cooled, it doesn't seem to want to do 90+ mph for more than 45 minutes to an hour before the temperature warning light comes on. I end up having to slow back down to 70 mph for 10 minutes before the radiator can cool her off. Long story short, I'm looking for a classic type cruiser for a reasonable price that will really move when I need her to, while at least making an attempt to keep the rpm's as low as possible. My list so far is:

- Kawasaki 1500/1600 series. I wish I could afford a 1700 with six gears, but I am too poor.
- Honda VTX 1300 series - last I checked, it wasn't fuel injected.
- Yamaha V-Star 1300 - I was almost sold on this one until I found out you have to re-adjust the valves every 4,000 miles.

I really don't want to spend more than 8 or 9 thousand dollars and I'm pretty sure I can find one of these for that price used. If anyone can recommend another bike or give me some insight to the bikes I've already mentioned, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you really want an FJR. I consistently get that gas mileage with my 07, and the speeds you describe for cruising don't even have the bike breathing hard.
Low maint shaft drive and 25,000 miles between valve checks.
Oh... did I mention... smooooooth!

Never mind... when I posted this you had sport tourers listed as an option.

If you want smooth in a cruiser you might look for an old BMW R-1200C chromehead.

[QUOTE
- the ability to cruise at 90 - 110 for an extended period of time without causing nerve damage to my hands due to highway buzz.
[/QUOTE]

It there a cruiser built that will do that?

Dream big, that's what I say :D In actuality, I could probably get away with gel gloves, or what I have been doing is just holding the grips rather loosely. But if someone knows of one, I would love to hear about it.

[QUOTE

It there a cruiser built that will do that?[/QUOTE]

Suzuki M109R, V-Rod, maybe....

It there a cruiser built that will do that?

Sure.
Your V-Rod for one.
Triumph Rocket III and Honda Valkyrie to name a couple more.

But realistically, if the requirement is truly to "cruise" at those speeds for extended durations, you do need to look at bikes that have better aerodynamics. Most cruisers are a barn door pushing through the wind so even the big hp ones are limited on top end.

Any of the sport touring bikes with fairings will be infinitely more comfortable and stable at those speeds. You also stand a better chance of attaining your MPG goal with slippery bodywork when running over a buck (not easy to attain 44mpg at 100mph).

So ,there's not a perfect bike to meet all your requirements. The best solution is two bikes!:rider:

I'm riding my dad's 2007 Suzuki Boulivard C90T, and he's been talking about selling it. Its the touring model so it came with bags, windsheild, etc....
I can ask him what the pay off is and what he would sell it for if you'd like.
The only thing it lacks is the tank capacity you're looking for

[QUOTE

It there a cruiser built that will do that?[/QUOTE]

Royal Star Tour Deluxe...but does not meet his FI requirement.

Not sure if the VROD gets 44 mpg but cruises well. I have an 04 up for sale if your interested. You'd have to change the wheels to get rid of the sail effect, though.

I cant think of a single Cruiser that meets requirements listed.the ones that can cruise that speed don't usually get the 44 mpg. Maybe an older Vmax?

I have a Bandit 1250 for sale it doesn't meet your requirements but it will be fun and do the speed. Also if the HP clocks you going that fast it has the agility to give them a good run. It's in the for sale section.

The 1600 Nomad is pretty comfortable at 90 mph for long periods of time. My only complaint was on winding roads it was a lot to move around. It was still fun but not like a sport tourer. Nice stock seat also. best I have ever sat on. 250 miles and I was ready for more.

I can comment on the V-Star 1300. I have the Tour version. 15K miles so far. Never leaks oil. No failures at all except the high beam quit last week. $6.42 for a new bulb - 10 minutes to install. $218 for a pair of OEM tires which go 9K-rear and (likely-hopefully) 18K-front. Engine pulls well up into the revs since its over-square. Saddle bags are real nice - 10 minutes to get them off or on once you get the hang of it. Instrumentation is minimal...it's a cruiser, right?

Very comfortable at 60mph getting 50mpg. At 75mph, the buffeting becomes tiresome and fuel use goes to 40mpg. Past 80mph, the buffeting and noise are beyond annoying and mileage goes to 35mpg.

Why so interested in using a cruiser for a long fast ride?

I'll second a used Nomad, that meets your requirements. So does my Guzzi, but it is not as heavy as the Nomad so it can get some buffeting, and is not a great 2 up bike for any distance.

Ive had Goldwings, Triumph Trophies, Yamaha Roadstar Silverado, and a Kawasaki Nomad, and the Nomad was by far the best "cruiser" of the group IMHO. They can be found real Cheap, and you wont be sorry if you get one.

Thanks for all the feedback. I bought a kawasaki 1600 classic. After installing a hypercharger, some cobra slash-cut pipes and a dynatek 3000, it's got plenty of power!

Well, some of the things you were looking for are the reasons I added the Black Beast to my harem. The Red Baron is a great 'round the bend ride, commutes well, and my sweetie likes it, but 45mpg at 80-90 mph and all without fuss doesn't describe it well. Anyway, good luck with the big Cow - see ya' on the long road...

Why so interested in using a cruiser for a long fast ride?

I'm just not comfortable on a sport bike. I have a bit of carpal tunnel so anything that keeps the weight off my wrists is great. I'm used to riding cruisers. I feel more comfortable on them. I read on some motorcycle insurance web site that motorcyclist had a higher percentage of accidents when switching from cruisers to sport bikes. A buddy of mine lets me ride his R1 when I have the itch. It is an awesome machine, just not for me.

Thats fair enough. On the flip side, I like cruisers but they just don't feel right to me.

Go with yu feel comfortable on. Besides you will probably change your mind in a few years to something different. Maybe Dual Sports next time.

You got a great bike, enjoy it.

I'm just not comfortable on a sport bike. I have a bit of carpal tunnel so anything that keeps the weight off my wrists is great. I'm used to riding cruisers. I feel more comfortable on them. I read on some motorcycle insurance web site that motorcyclist had a higher percentage of accidents when switching from cruisers to sport bikes. A buddy of mine lets me ride his R1 when I have the itch. It is an awesome machine, just not for me.

Perhaps a non-super sport might be the answer for your second bike? J got the Ninja 650R for that exact reason - sport bike but not leaned over. Very comfortable for upright riding but with the ability to lean when needed. He got the FZ1 for the same reason but likes it even more because of the longer footpeg reach for his height.

Back