• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain length

Roy

Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Anyone used a 116 link chain instead of the 118 stock length? If so did you use the stock 18T front sprocket 43T rear combo? From looking at it this will work and will shorten the wheelbase a little. I am not concerned with having a shorter wheelbase on the big heavy Bandit plus if I wanted to run a 17T front my adjustment would still be within range unlike the stock 118 length chain which leaves you with only 2 marks left on adjustment. I am waiting on a backorder 18T front Sunstar front sprocket, it's only been a month now:doh: but I have a 17T front sunstar in my hand, new 120 link chain (ready to be cut to fit) and a 43T rear patiently waiting.

For the ones who have tried a 17T front 43T rear how was it out on the road? revved out much more than stock at 80~90 mph? I use my Bandit for touring only. Did it affect fuel mileage any?

Anyone used a 116 link chain instead of the 118 stock length? If so did you use the stock 18T front sprocket 43T rear combo? From looking at it this will work and will shorten the wheelbase a little. I am not concerned with having a shorter wheelbase on the big heavy Bandit plus if I wanted to run a 17T front my adjustment would still be within range unlike the stock 118 length chain which leaves you with only 2 marks left on adjustment. I am waiting on a backorder 18T front Sunstar front sprocket, it's only been a month now:doh: but I have a 17T front sunstar in my hand, new 120 link chain (ready to be cut to fit) and a 43T rear patiently waiting.

For the ones who have tried a 17T front 43T rear how was it out on the road? revved out much more than stock at 80~90 mph? I use my Bandit for touring only. Did it affect fuel mileage any?
i run about 4500rpm at 75 6th with 17-43 stock chain. It is slightly revvier (sp.) I have 1 mark left for adjust and I keep my chain real tight, about .8ish slack. Personally wouldnt want any shorter wheel base with the 17 on. Wouldnt mind about another 2 inch longer swing arm. (wouldnt we all, right:lol2:)

There is a little more sprocket noise due to the 17t not having the rubber dampers as the stock but only noticeable when legs aren't pressed to tank. I haven't noticed any fuel mileage change worth noting but I'm not sure my odo is right and I'm always playing with fuel adjustments on the PC3. While it might be running a little higher in the revs it is taking less energy to do so. Speedo is spot on with speed healer but haven't checked if odo mileage is yet. Don't know if the odo and speedo run off the same sensor. BTW with 17t on I am 11.7% off correct speed. Indicated 60 is actual 53 without speedo healer. With 18t i was indicated 60 actual 55.

C/N:personally unless you like power wheelies I would keep the 18t for touring. It's an easy switch out though.

thanks red I am going to wait for the 18T but the devil in me really wants the 17t :trust:

thanks red I am going to wait for the 18T but the devil in me really wants the 17t :trust:

I love it. bugger just flat out pulls 1st thru 3rd but i dont do much touring. some long rides on some days but mostly spirited jaunts with some friends.

Back