• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lions, Bears, Bicycles... oh my!

Wes

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Last Name
Elliott
Last weekend I went for a little ride up Hwy 28 to Las Crueces, NM. My wife and I were headed to a café for breakfast on the C-14 and her Scoot.

As usual, I'm on the watch for dumb drivers and other assorted hazards when out of nowhere my whole lane is full of these spandex clad circus clowns on bicycles! I slammed on the brakes hard enough to engage the ABS and barely managed not mow down these Lance Armstrong wannabes.

I know your first thought was I was speeding, but I was actually going 10mph under the 55mph limit. We had just left a small town and I try to be very respectful in small towns on scenic roads. Besides who wants to speed on a straight away, I save that for the windy sections. :lol2:

During the ride up there and back (80 miles round trip) I had 3 such encounters. I have to ask why would anyone take this up as a hobby? Even long distance runners have the common sense to run on the shoulder towards traffic so they can see the cars coming at them. The funny part is the bicyclists get so upset when people almost kill them, like the driver or rider is at fault.

Why would anyone take a non registered vehicle that can't do half the speed limit on a roadway and think this is intelligent? Can someone please explain this to me? When I was a military safety officer I would lose my mind if my Marines were engaging in this kind silliness.

Me and some buddies were riding through Fayetteville a few yrs back. Little did we know there was one of those bicycle rally's going on in the area. Hundreds of bicycles! They were riding in groups of 4 to 8 and the groups were spread out maybe every hundred yards for miles. Non of them were riding single file. They were completely clogging up the road. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't mad or anything. I actually thought it was pretty cool seeing all those bicycles. No big deal. Sometimes there was oncoming traffic so you would have to wait for an opening before you could go around. So anyway we start to pass this one group. I was 1st in line and as I slowly go by them this guy in his little rainbow monkey suit shoots me an unmistakably obscene gesture and yells or rather screams "Get outta here"! My friends behind me saw what he did and promptly returned the gesture but they didn't hear what he yelled at me. To this day I've wished I would've stopped my motorcycle right in the middle of the road and confronted him on what he meant by "get outta here", but I didn't, oh well.:shrug:
I guess legally the bicycles have the right of way because you "yield to slower traffic" or however the law is written but does that mean that they have the right to completely shut down a highway? I sure wish I knew what laws we were breaking or what we did to cause that guy to act like that.:confused:

Bicycles are a legal vehicle and have as much right to the road as any other vehicle.
Bicycles aren't allowed on highways because they can't maintain the minimum speed. Non-highway roads, there isn't a minimum speed, so they're fine.

If you come upon a bicycle, even a single bike, he/she has full rights to that lane just as we do on our motorcycles.

Most riders are very understanding that cars/motorcycles are bigger and faster and want to go around so they'll stick to the side and let people by in their lane. But, like any group, there's always a few idiots.

If they have a right to the road why aren't the registered like motorcycles, cars, trailers, etc? It seems so unsafe.

I was corrected on the minimum speed by a coworker. Apparently that only applies to Interstates if posted.

Bicycles are a legal vehicle and have as much right to the road as any other vehicle.
Bicycles aren't allowed on highways because they can't maintain the minimum speed. Non-highway roads, there isn't a minimum speed, so they're fine.

If you come upon a bicycle, even a single bike, he/she has full rights to that lane just as we do on our motorcycles.

Most riders are very understanding that cars/motorcycles are bigger and faster and want to go around so they'll stick to the side and let people by in their lane. But, like any group, there's always a few idiots.

They may be legal, however, they must abide by the law as stated below. Which, by the way, they generally do not abide by the laws.
Sec. 551.103. Operation on Roadway.

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person operating a bicycle on a roadway who is moving slower than the other traffic on the roadway shall ride as near as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, unless:

(1) the person is passing another vehicle moving in the same direction;

(2) the person is preparing to turn left at an intersection or onto a private road or driveway; or

(3) a condition on or of the roadway, including a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian, animal, or surface hazard prevents the person from safely riding next to the right curb or edge of the roadway.

(4) the person is operating a bicycle in an outside lane that is:
(A) less than 14 feet in width and does not have a designated bicycle lane adjacent to that lane; or
(B) too narrow for a bicycle and a motor vehicle to safely travel side by side.

(b) A person operating a bicycle on a one-way roadway with two or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near as practicable to the left curb or edge of the roadway.

(c) Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast. Persons riding two abreast on a laned roadway shall ride in a single lane. Persons riding two abreast may not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic on the roadway. Persons may not ride more than two abreast unless they are riding on a part of a roadway set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles.

Not the Christian thing to do, but there are times I want to blow by them and kick my foot out just in time to catch their handle bars and watch them skid on the pavement in my rear view mirror.:eek2:

Just because some of them don't abide by the law, doesn't make them all evil.

If the rider of the bicycle you have fantasied about kicking over hasn't done you any harm, why the dream of severely injuring them?

This discussion smells rather strongly of what I've read on cage forums regarding motorcyclist.

Edit to add:
Please don't take offense at my remarks. I'm simply trying to point out that as much as we gripe about cagers hating those of us that ride motorcycles, it seems a bit two-faced to gripe about someone else using the road just because a sub-section of that group doesn't ride as they are supposed to.

The problem is, the ones Wes encountered were violating the law. If they spread out across the road, they are liable to be killed, and will certainly impede motorists. While they have a right to be there, they do not have a right to impede traffic by riding abreast. It's not only illegal, it's really, really stupid.

Oh geez, not another motorcyclists vs. bicyclists thread. Nothing good ever comes of these. You would think the two groups could unite around a common hatred of automobile drivers, chip seal, or something, but no.

They may be legal, however, they must abide by the law as stated below. Which, by the way, they generally do not abide by the laws.

This statement is highly offensive and prejudiced. So it's OK to assume that you are a criminal and thug; after all, all motorcyle riders are criminals and thugs, aren't they?

Just because some of them don't abide by the law, doesn't make them all evil.

If the rider of the bicycle you have fantasied about kicking over hasn't done you any harm, why the dream of severely injuring them?

This discussion smells rather strongly of what I've read on cage forums regarding motorcyclist.

Edit to add:
Please don't take offense at my remarks. I'm simply trying to point out that as much as we gripe about cagers hating those of us that ride motorcycles, it seems a bit two-faced to gripe about someone else using the road just because a sub-section of that group doesn't ride as they are supposed to.

No offense taken. I am only referring to the ones that do as stated above by breaking the law and then getting upset when we blow past them. It's all about sharing the road. But that works both ways. Honestly, there are some wing riders out there that get my goat when I watch them playing with all their gadgets on the bike rather than watching the road and weave in and out of their lane while doing so.

:popcorn:

IBTL

I'd have no beef with bike riders (of which, I used to be) if they'd obey the laws as they're supposed to. No, not all of them ride illegally. The ones that ride legally (obeying traffic control, in their lane, etc) aren't noticed. The ones that blow through stop signs and red lights or ride as if they're daring someone to touch them are the ones that aggravate me.

And now, there's a law being passed in Austin that requires vehicles (cages) to keep 3 feet away from bicycles. The way some of them ride, that's going to be virtually impossible in downtown Austin without driving into oncoming traffic.

Might as well **** all over Vespa riders in this thread too. Also, don't forget the joggers.

Look at it this way: if there were so many riders on that highway, it was likely an event, for which they left the road open to regular traffic out of courtesy to non-cyclists (and at risk to cyclists). Many events simply shut off the highways (like the Hotter'nHell this past weekend that shuts down about 130mi of highways N. of Wichita Falls). This way, you weren't turned back on your Sunday ride.

As for the guys who do things like shoot between traffic, run red lights, etc..... they tend to eventually get run over by cages.

Also, I'm confused as to why guys on Hogs tend to think they're so much tougher/need to dominate the guys in clown outfits. Take a close look at the competitive cyclists next time. Personally, my cage-fighting bet is on the brawn, not the bulk. Course, it's harder to CC in spandex.

This isn't a need to deny them thier sport. I see guys riding up transmountain road in EP all the time on the shoulder and it looks fun. But to be on a small 2 lane road with no shoulder or bike lane going 10mph in a 55mph zone sounds like suicide.

The problem is they putting innocent drivers at risk of killing them. I'm not talking about the cell phone donut munching drivers who aren't paying attention but the ones just driving normally. Dang, now I want a krispy kreme. :lol2:

Also none of these guys on hwy 28 were competetive cyclists. Just weekend warriors with more gut than me wearing spandex. :rofl: Besides I don't want to beat on them, I just don't want to clean blood off my new bike. Plus how many bikers or bicyclists have been in a bar fight recently. My money is it would be a fair fight.

Just an FYI, the Penalty Box has several threads just like this one in it. Lets keep it civil please.

homer%20donut.jpg

Well, i sympathize there; no one likes picking out bits of roadkill.

Something to ponder about the two-lane road riders: Let's say you want to ride 60 miles on your bicycle today.
Doing 60 miles in city streets not only would prevent you from maintaining a "pace," but also is essentially a coinflip's chance of getting tagged by a car. Dealing with lots of interestections while you're tired and your brain's oxygen supply is getting drained by your legs is a bad idea.
So, no city streets, how about the shoulder of a highway? Most TX shoulders are truly littered with tire-puncturing debris. The super-skinny 130psi tires that most road bikes now come with would probably average 10 miles between flats. Not to mention all of the larger debris conspiring to send you down the cheese-grater surfaced pavement.

An infrequently traveled highway is the safest bet for long-distance cycling... If you're afraid that you're going to tag one of these guys, best stay off those roads during the deer rut. Sex-crazed vermin are all over the two-lane highways, without the bright clothing. At least the bikers don't run out from the brush to meet you.

Edit: alright, I only wanted a donut a little before.... Wes you have some sort of evil in you.

I'm not saying bicycling isn't fun, I used to enjoy mountain biking in the woods of east Texas, but on a road with no shoulder it still seems like suicidal behavior.:eek2: The funny part is there are 2 mountain roads and a few other scenic roads that close just for bicyclists to ride safely with no cars. Hwy 28 is the most widely used sweeping motorcycle routes in the area. It's pretty safe for motorcyclists but with no shoulders, many hills, and turns it just nuts on a bicycle. I can't belive with as bad as people drive anyone would attempt this.

Also, if that hot light is on on the way home I'm buying a dozen at least! mmmmmm fat pills....
09_krispykreme_lg_l-thumb-350x410.jpg

I'm not saying bicycling isn't fun, I used to enjoy mountain biking in the woods of east Texas, but on a road with no shoulder it still seems like suicidal behavior.:eek2: The funny part is there are 2 mountain roads and a few other scenic roads that close just for bicyclists to ride safely with no cars. Hwy 28 is the most widely used sweeping motorcycle routes in the area. It's pretty safe for motorcyclists but with no shoulders, many hills, and turns it just nuts on a bicycle. I can't belive with as bad as people drive anyone would attempt this.

Also, if that hot light is on on the way home I'm buying a dozen at least! mmmmmm fat pills....
09_krispykreme_lg_l-thumb-350x410.jpg
Can I stop by?

I was about to post this morning when I got to work, but decided to be civil....today was my strategic planning presentation to the CEO so I couldn't afford elevated bp.

The reason I wanted to post.....some jackleg bicyclist this morning was riding down the middle of the #1 lane on 90A (S. Main) approaching the overpass over S. Gessner/Texas Pkwy. He was riding all of maybe 5-10 mph going uphill. Right smack in the middle of the lane. Thankfully it is 3 lanes wide on the new highway. But my question is (and it is rhetorical)--What idiot would ever consider riding in the middle of a traffic lane on a bicycle where the speed limit is 55 mph during rush hour? :argh:

It takes all types I guess.

Wow. Much has been written in a newspaper that I subscribe to about this too. The bicycle rider has both rights and responsibilities, as do all of us that use the roads. Unfortunately the most visible are the offensive groups that impede traffic flow and see nothing wrong with it. Laws may vary state to state, but here it is pretty plainly written that the bicyclist must not impede the normal flow of traffic.

It is true as well that the bicycles may ride side by side. However this is restricted to situations where it will not impede flow, and expressly prohibited otherwise. It is most unfortunate when confrontations happen over this issue, and the bicyclists proclaim their right to the whole lane without acknowledging the rest of the statute. It is tragic when injuries or deaths happen from the same misunderstanding of the laws. The first few words "Persons operating bicycles on a roadway may ride two abreast." are all too often taken as a sound byte without the rest of the section.

Just as we expect the motorcyclist to have the M endorsement and understand the ins and outs of the laws, we ask the bicyclist to fully understand the rights and restrictions of their sport. Especially when some of the restrictions are designed to enhance the safety of those riders.

This took a long time to edit. I hope it comes across constructive and not confrontational.

Other good points elsewhere but Ed said it best in post #21

Cyclists got kicked out of Garden Ridge a few years ago, by and large, by accepting the privaleges of riding on the road, but doing so in packs that block the road, and being arrogant about it.

That said, I ride bikes on the road all the time, and so does my family. I'm very aware of the 98% of the time cagers are courteous, and I try to return the favor to the cagers by riding as far to the right as possible.

Common Courtesy by everyone one the road is the magic formula - but we all know the general direction that that trait is heading in America :doh:

On a similar yet slightly different note, I came upon this guy in the road this week:

636613697_WRqh5-M.jpg

He was playing the same selection over and over. Talk about rude!

Laws may vary state to state, but here it is pretty plainly written that the bicyclist must not impede the normal flow of traffic.

Based on the section of the Texas vehicle code posted earlier in this thread, I don't see how you reach this conclusion. The only language I see in the statute relating to impeding traffic flow is in section (c) and relates strictly to riding two abreast.

Let me point out that subsection 4(a) & (b) are relevent about 99% of the time. There are effectively no roads in Texas with 14 foot wide outside lanes - most roads are 11 feet, some 12. In that situation the statute grants the bicyclist full use of the lane; they are permitted to ride right down the middle. The reason for granting full use of the lane is because a car or truck cannot safely pass a bicycle while remaining within a normal width lane; there simply isn't enough room. Unfortunately, many vehicles will try to do so, putting the cyclist at risk. So the bicyclist is granted full use of the lane, forcing the car/truck to go out and around when it is safe to pass.

There seems to be a common belief that when operating a motor vehicle one should never have to slow down or be delayed by other road users. I've never seen this codified in statute; quite the opposite in fact. My understanding is that you are expected to slow down and wait until it is safe to pull out and pass.

If someone can post relevent sections of the vehicle code that state otherwise, I'd be interested in seeing it.

There seems to be a common belief that when operating a motor vehicle one should never have to slow down or be delayed by other road users.

Yes but doesn't that slow moving speed put the cyclist in danger of being hit. It's not an issue of rights but safety and person responsibility for your well being.

Directed towards bicyclists:

I know we all take risks riding motorcycles but as a cyclist doesn't riding on roads with higher speed limits and no bike lane feel dangerous to you? I'm not being rude but it seems that the danger out weighs the fun.

Back