• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire change tools

atonic

Reaction score
I'm 400 miles from home/bike/manual. Planning to do a tire change first thing when I get home.

What tools, if any, will I need? Specifically, hex or sockets in larger sizes.

I'm no expert but I think knowing what kind of bike will be helpful. The tuono uses a 32mm rear and I think 30mm front. I used 2 pit bull stands for the front and rear.

Good luck

Dang bandit subforum.... I wish there was a way to hide it from the homepage view...

But don't worry Tony, I thought the exact same thing when I read the post.:lol2:

Large cresent wrench for the front and rear axles. I didn't even have to use a 15/16's set up to hold back up on the front. 12 mm for pinch bolts in front. 10 and 12 mm to adjust rear. I forget exactly what size American 1/2" drive sockets I use with 1/2 in torque wrench to tighten axles to finale. Use 3/8's
12mm and 14 mm and large screw driver for capilars
Three long tire irons. Soap spray. That rear is a tuff dude to get off the rim and get started on the rim.
Air compressor, hose, chuck and tire gauge.

You can do a half **** balance job before you put the capilars back on. Better to have a stand and balance set up though. Sure makes it easier.

Think that's all I use for my '07 GSF1250S I think. May have forgot something.
I just did my 3rd tire swap since having the bike 15 months and 20,000 + miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tools needed - big sockets to pull wheels off front and rear, a stand to hoist the front end off the ground, then your credit card or cash to pay a guy to R&R the tires and balance them maybe where you bought them.

Since you need to balance them anyway, is there some great advantage to changing the tires yourself?

I found the the info in some older threads. 24mm hex for front axle, 36mm socket for rear.

Hopefully the no-mar parts I ordered will get here so I don't chew up the rims with the HB changer.

Balance I do with dyna-beads.

I spent ~$200 on the tires and beads. To take the bike to the dealer would cost $400+.

Tools needed - big sockets to pull wheels off front and rear, a stand to hoist the front end off the ground, then your credit card or cash to pay a guy to R&R the tires and balance them maybe where you bought them.

Since you need to balance them anyway, is there some great advantage to changing the tires yourself?

Zen and the Art of bike maintenance.

Seriously, a great balance system is about 100 bucks. I bought my tire irons form a auto parts house. Very heavy duty. If you don't want to scratch your rims up, cut up some plastic from old oil bottles or some other thick plastic. Works better than the thick plastic ones you buy to me.
Last time I called a shop to get a quote, 2 years ago for my DL1000 due to a lightly sprung wrist on me, I was quoted around 100 bucks to change and balance the tires if I just brought the wheels. A couple of times yourself and you have paid for the special tools you need. Between my two bikes, I change out about at least 4 sets of tires a year. Not counting some of my close friends.
Plus, you don't pay tax on mail or internet order in most states. ;-).
Last time I had to pay a shop when having to buy and have them exchange tires on my '02 R1150GS in '02 cost me 330 bucks. Hate to think the total cost now.

Last time I changed the rear tire on the Shadow, I used only the tools provided in the factory tool kit. If Zook didn't go cheap, everything you need is in there (except a way to hold up the bike).

I don't believe it would be easy to incorporate into the Bandit tool pouch, or else where on the bike, the size tire irons your gonna need to get that rear tire off. It is a fight. Maybe you could get a trailer and drag a tire machine behind you . ;-)

Zen and the Art of bike maintenance.

Seriously, a great balance system is about 100 bucks. I bought my tire irons form a auto parts house. Very heavy duty. If you don't want to scratch your rims up, cut up some plastic from old oil bottles or some other thick plastic. Works better than the thick plastic ones you buy to me.
Last time I called a shop to get a quote, 2 years ago for my DL1000 due to a lightly sprung wrist on me, I was quoted around 100 bucks to change and balance the tires if I just brought the wheels. A couple of times yourself and you have paid for the special tools you need. Between my two bikes, I change out about at least 4 sets of tires a year. Not counting some of my close friends.
Plus, you don't pay tax on mail or internet order in most states. ;-).
Last time I had to pay a shop when having to buy and have them exchange tires on my '02 R1150GS in '02 cost me 330 bucks. Hate to think the total cost now.

You know what, you've convinced me. Thanks.

Now, who make a great balancer and for what cost?

This one from No-Mar works well.

This is the one I have. I called him and told him what I had and he sent me mine. I was running a BMW R1150GS and KLR650 at the time. I had to go to a longer rod with the larger Bandit rear wheel. Purchased at the near by Lumber/Hardware Store and dressed with a file till things fit. I just use Jack stands to let the bearing cages rest on.

And I'm sure El Bandito could whip one up at a great price also. ;-) Or just build the cones with the little wing tipped screws to fit a 3/8" rod and you could get the rod and bearings from a local parts house.

Back