• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Michelin and Harley Team Up

I bet they're noisy and leak air :rofl:

I wonder if they got one of those deals like with Dunlop on the D407/8 for the heavy touring bikes. Exclusive to HD and HD dealers for two years. Currently no other tire manufacturer makes a tire in the right size with the load ratings to match for the Ultra so we have to buy from HD. Metzlers give up over 300 lbs of weight rating for the nearest size 880 Marathon. The tire manufacturers are playing catch up. So by the time the exclusive deal is up they may have some options on the market.

Marketing Genius.

Now Harley owners can overpay for tires like they do for everything else. Awesome.

Marketing Genius.

Now Harley owners can overpay for tires like they do for everything else. Awesome.

Eh, you get what you pay for. I had a Suzuki Intruder 1500LC prior to getting my Ultra last December. This Ultra is so much better in every way than the Intruder was. Better riding and Much better in the fit and finish department. The tires were designed specific for the bike with the redesign of the frame. New techology so the rest of the market will catch up. The exclusive deal throws a bone to the stealerships for a couple years. I just need to find someone that can mount those big tires for me. The cost of the tires is in the ball park for that type of tire. They bend you over for mounting, the tires. ;-)

What was wrong with the Dunlops?

Which Dunlops? They have several models for the different bikes.

I thought Harley used just Dunlops exclusively. I've got a set on my dyna and they seem fine. Are they just branching out or is there something I should know?

fitting considering most Harley riders look like the Michelin man already!! BUWWAAAAa HA HA!!!! :lol2: :duck:

I thought Harley used just Dunlops exclusively. I've got a set on my dyna and they seem fine. Are they just branching out or is there something I should know?

Harley OEM tires have been Dunlop for something like 24 years. There are other tires available for bikes older than '09. It just takes a couple of years for everyone else to catch up with the new bikes when they do a redesign that calls for different tires. The tires on the '09 touring bikes, D407 and now D408 for the front, have a more sport touring profile than previous years. It really improved the handling on the big bikes.

Back