• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Here's another reminder to wear your gear

bung

Reaction score
This was linked at another forum I read.

I'll leave the pictures out but you can click the following link to see them:
*WARNING: Graphic Pictures of skin loss*

So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty **** rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had **** well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a ******* that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a **** good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

The nurse sent extra stuff with Catie so I could get cleaned up too. What she didn't send was the several vials of morphine that Catie had in her when then scrubbed her out. Tylenol isn't the same. I screamed, threw up, and passed out cleaning these. And the whole time I'm dealing with the fact that I knew better and was in control, and I did this to somebody else who did NOT have control. Day 2, and it's not any easier to live with.

I tried to be completely frank about how I'm feeling in an effort to make the truth set in on you guys. I was a literal 2 inches away from killing her, because I thought we didn't need gear to go 5 blocks, and because she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her. Nobody's impressed now.

Tough lesson. Unfortunately that's what it takes sometimes.

It's so sad to see all the riders in shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, no gloves, no helmet...

A 10MPH fall is all it takes to peel off the skin, bust open the skull...kill you. A pair of jeans might as well be tissue paper for all the protection they provide.

And to top it all, I see the nice local motor cops here on their pretty BMW's with spandex pants and short sleeve shirts...idiots.

These two were very fortunate to survive.

Good reminder for sure. Look at how well his heavy jeans protected his leg...

We're probably all (most of us, anyway) guilty of riding without full gear for quick trips at some point. Definitely makes you think twice. The fact that he had a passenger on back makes this more than twice as bad. I can't imagine the emotional rollercoaster he is going through right now.

Hope they both make quick, full recoveries.

Becky (wife of billybob) my husband had me read this and if it gets back to the orig. post or if you are reading this one I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you. Please do not continue to punish yourself and feel guilty. You have already paid the price and learned the lesson. She also was an adult that could have said NO. Not with out a helmet etc.
It happens, no one is perfect, end of story. Yes it horrible. Yes you should have done things different but we all make mistakes, we are ONLYidiots if we continue to make the same mistakes.
Blessings to you and your "friend"

Wow I am glad that Yall two are ok. As long as you have learned from your mistake and don't repeat them lesson is learned. I pray for you and your friend for a quick recovery.

Bung, thanks for posting that.
I'm gonna send that to my son as a gentle reminder it would be very advantageous to go ATGATT, Ive caught him a few times sans jacket.
I shudder every time I see somebody riding in shorts, sandals, with no gloves or helmet etc., we have to dress for that "what if" moment.

Last edited:
My wife and I went out for a ride on a beautiful, cool New Year's Day 1/1/07. I locked up the rear breaks slowing for a gentle curve and lost it. Bike flipped and was totalled, we tumbled down the middle of the asphalt road.

If you would have asked us, but both don't remember hitting our heads, but both helmets were all scuffed up in back. We might not be here today if we weren't wearing our helmets. Also being cool (not cold), we were wearing full leathers, boots, gloves, etc. Got banged up but nothing broken. Wearing leather and a thick flannel shirt still bloodied my elbow, but other than that we were able to limp away.

So now no matter how hot outside, when we take a ride we'll be wearing helmets (always do) and mesh jackets (not always when by myself). Sliding down the asphalt makes you VERY aware of how unexpectedly things can happen and how damaged we'd be without it.

I was haunted by that spill for a very long time afterwards, trying to figure out just how it happened. It's like a post tramatic stress thing, and my wife had no desire to get back on. But it's been a couple of years now, and we're both back out riding - just always beeing very careful and she pays as much attention to my driving as I do.

Glad they were able walk away.

My first big wreck destroyed a textile jacket, a pair of riding boots, and pair of leather gloves. I walked away and couldn't stop thinking about how jacked up I would have been, had I not been geared up.

90 mph is a heck of a speed to walk away from without a scratch. I try not to preach at people about gear because most don't listen. I just hate seeing a guy learn the hard way like this one.

You should change your screen name to Bung HOLE.

You are a freaking moron. She will probably file a civil suit against you.

You deserve all you have coming to you.

Whoa, easy there shipmate!
Bung is not the one who wrecked, he just linked to another forum. :doh:
Go back and read the thread from the top.

I'm guessing some of you don't realize the kid that had the wreck lives in Salt Lake City, Utah. While Bung actually lives somewhere that you can actually buy alcohol.

I just hope that "benny" guy learns to ride before he tries to carry passengers again. Although it looks like his bike is still sitting on the impound lot, going on a week now.

I feel for the guy cause my last crash (Dec '05) was with a friend on the back. Thats the single worst experience of my life, no doubt.

I'm glad to see he realizes what happened. Now if he'll learn from those mistakes instead of bashing himself over the head about them, he'll turn out ok.

He probably owes more in impound fees than the bike is worth now.:eek2:

Reading the thread, it is interesting...to what degree is the passenger responsible and the driver? I guess it's one of those grey moral areas that we all have to make our own calls on.

Reading the thread, it is interesting...to what degree is the passenger responsible and the driver? I guess it's one of those grey moral areas that we all have to make our own calls on.

It'd be a case-by-case situation. A rider who doesn't wear a helmet probably wouldn't expect their passenger to do so (unless a minor), so it'd be the passenger's choice. Whereas a rider who always uses a helmet would most likely expect, maybe even insist, a passenger to also wear one.

I can't help but think if the driver discourages a passenger from wearing a helmet ( "you don't need a helmet, I've never crashed" ) , and then crashes, that it might put the driver at risk for liability (?) At least for medical expenses.

In my case no one rides pillon on my bike without (at minimum) helmet, armored jacket, armored gloves and sturdy boots (not necessarily motorcycle specific). And a pair of armored pants, while not mandatory, would be strongly recommended.

Of course there's always the tempation (I admit to having done it) to forgo a helmet and gear because "We were just going around the corner for a burrito". This story is a strong reminder of how quickly things can go wrong when riding.

I occaisionally pick up passengers for a short ride while I'm out. As MCRyder guesses, I wear a helmet so I insist that passengers do - but if I wasn't expecting a passenger, I don't have a spare with me. They have to deal with my funky full-face on their head (hey, I wash the liner every few months!). Of course, I'm now jackasatically riding without a helmet, and obviously this doesn't solve the skin-loss issue. At least they'll be in pain instead of a casket.
I'm tempted to get a half-helmet to keep stowed in a saddle bag. I know it isn't nearly the protection of full gear, but it seems better than nothing. Thoughts?

Jeez he sat in the ER with her for 8 hours, with no pain meds. I guess I can understand why she doesn't want to see him but man that 8 hours should count for something. She will probably blame it 100% on him and we all know that isn't the case.

je2000 makes my point... I don't think the rider in the story is 100% to blame. I'm not saying he's not to blame at all. I'm not letting him off any moral hook that he has put himself on as well as others... I'm just saying that if the passenger was over 18, she was SOMEWHAT to blame for her predicament as well. Not because of the 8 hours he spent, but because adults have free will and the ability to do what they believe to be right... and in her case she could have NOT gotten on the bike. Sad deal all around. And yeah, I believe in helmets, jackets, gloves, long pants, shoes... And I wear all that stuff even when it's HOT HOT HOT here in TX, and so do my passengers.

I am re-thinking my riding in jeans. Or at least go and buy some of those kevlar reinforced ones. All this from a 35mph low side. :-(
Seems there is not a lot of difference between riding in jeans and just wearing shorts? I have a full set of leathers which I only ever wear on track. I have fallen a few times and slid at 60mph plus and never had so much as a scratch (well...a few bruises and a bit of friction burn), but the same rules don't seem to apply on the road? No idea why not? Anyway....get well soon bud...and your girl too....

I am re-thinking my riding in jeans. Or at least go and buy some of those kevlar reinforced ones. All this from a 35mph low side. :-(
Seems there is not a lot of difference between riding in jeans and just wearing shorts? I have a full set of leathers which I only ever wear on track. I have fallen a few times and slid at 60mph plus and never had so much as a scratch (well...a few bruises and a bit of friction burn), but the same rules don't seem to apply on the road? No idea why not? Anyway....get well soon bud...and your girl too....

The same fall/slide on a nice, smooth track could have more serious results if it happens on one of the many roads in Texas where they use that nasty large chip-seal.:eek2: That stuff can shred blue jeans, skin, ears, etc.:puke::tears: on impact at normal traffic speed.

Well Sports Fans, My buddy crashed last Saturday without the proper gear, and he is still in the hospital. Ugly, just ugly. His passenger... checked herself out of Intensive Care against the recommendation of the doctors. Other than the skull fracture, she seemed to be OK, so she left. Guess she was not duly impressed with the flight for life helicopter ride after the accident, or to understand that she is dang lucky to be alive. For him... well, they folded the skin back in place on his skull. Just a little beauty mark to remind him to wear a helmet. Chest tubes? Yes, plural. Those may have resulted even with the proper gear, but I suspect he would not have had as many.

In the end, he knows he is lucky. He won't be riding any time soon, and will not be going without a helmet on the new bike.

I try to ATGATT, but am guilty of wearing jeans to and from work. As I try to move away from jeans, I have found the Olympia Stealth suit to be pretty comfortable over my work clothes. Just like a lot of folks this past summer, I had to make decisions about acceptable levels of risks due to the prolonged heat.

Back