• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need motorcycle recovery recommendations

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have any number for good recovery people in Houston (SW and West side). I had a close call recently and I didn't have any numbers so I want to have some reputable ones on file for next time!

Thanks.

Recovery in what respect? Recovery as in prepossessing a bike? Recovery as in picking up a broken down bike? Recovery as in hauling a wrecked bike?

Only experience I have had a picking up a broken down bike. Used Cary Armstrong @ Strongarm Motorcycle Transport (713-444-7400). When I reached him he was in Galveston & I was @ Barker Cypress & 529. It took him a couple of hours to get there, but he arrived when he said he would, loaded the bike INTO his van, and we were off. Because it was later on a Saturday afternoon & the dealer was closed by then I had him bring the bike & myself to my house. We arrived in a timely manner and without incident. Cost was around $100, but that was reimbursed by my insurance towing policy. Now I have him in speed dial on my cell. :rider:

If you have AAA Plus you are entitled to 4 tows per year. This includes motorcycle tows.

We used one of them when J-Dawg had his low side on I-10.

Cost to us $0 from Columbus to SW Houston. Best investment we've ever made. Plus you get the cool trip-tix and maps.

If you have Progressive MC insurance, they have free Emergency Roadside Assistance.

I just called them about the particulars. The woman said the free EMR applies even for liability policies. What happens is someone will "come to correct the problem or tow you to the nearest qualified repair facility, or to a facility you choose within 15 miles." You have to pay, but are then reimbursed by Progressive within 30 days. Any costs after the 15 mile tow are your responsibility.

A hidden benefit that probably isn't usually considered when you compare policies -- and I found that Progressive was the cheapest for the coverage that I wanted anyway.

AMA members have service available , Mine is thru the Gold Wing Riders club , I have never waited more than an hour for a tow . Used it three times for flat tires and several time for my ford truck . SEYA

AAA sounds like a good idea as I guess it cover the car too? I'll add Strongarm into my phone as well. Thanks.

I would like to see someone like this come pick up my bike...

2705736630_a43a8d9506_o.jpg

DSCI0082.jpg

DSCI0080.jpg

Those pics are from this thread -> http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30439

Recovering the bike is an iffy issue at best if you don't do you homework and make sure the "insurance" of towing includes bike specific "handling and transport". I cringe at what can be sent to render assistance, as I have seen many a tow truck deliver a bike to the shop suspended in the rigging intended for a car. If the bike was not totaled before, it usually is afterward. Demand a flatbed of some type if you have to recover from a flat or other mechanical issue.

Recovering the bike is an iffy issue at best if you don't do you homework and make sure the "insurance" of towing includes bike specific "handling and transport". I cringe at what can be sent to render assistance, as I have seen many a tow truck deliver a bike to the shop suspended in the rigging intended for a car. If the bike was not totaled before, it usually is afterward. Demand a flatbed of some type if you have to recover from a flat or other mechanical issue.

+1 on that one. If you don't tell them specifically to send a flatbed you are taking pot luck.

When my friend ran off Why 9 in Arkansas last May, the deputy sheriff made sure he called a wrecker that he knew had motorcycle recovery experience and the deputy told them to be sure to bring a flatbed. These folks (Skeeters) had worked Sturgis and knew how to pull a Harley out of a ditch - not a scratch from their operation.

I'm recovering from MBS. It has not been easy, I still expect to see several two wheeled vehicles in the garage. Dang economy is what makes it possible.

I had a reason to use my AMA towing insurance in July. They sent ASAP, and the guy had a special bike trailer and really knew what he was doing. I've dealt with some real yahoos with flatbeds in the past; ASAP really illustrated the difference between motorcycle-capable and motorcycle-focused for me.

Cheers,
-Kit

I had a reason to use my AMA towing insurance in July. They sent ASAP, and the guy had a special bike trailer and really knew what he was doing. I've dealt with some real yahoos with flatbeds in the past; ASAP really illustrated the difference between motorcycle-capable and motorcycle-focused for me.

Cheers,
-Kit

The thing I like best about Cary Armstrong is that he transports ONLY motorcycles so he seems to have a pretty good handle on what he is doing. He transports them INSIDE an specially equipped long, tall Sprinter van. The bike is winched inside the van, locked in a front wheel chock, and strapped down. No make it do here, only a guy who appears to be interested in doing a good job for you.

Now the down side. He is a 1 person operation. He cannot be everywhere at the same time, so you may have to wait for him to get there. Having known a wrecker driver, lived by wrecker drivers, and seen some of them trying to move a bike, most of them simply do not know how to, or have the proper equipment, the transport bikes without causing further damage. I would rather wait than have a busted up bike because of the way it was towed.

But that's only my opinion. I could be wrong. :mrgreen:

+1 for Strongarm. Used him when I was in Houston.

+1 for AMA Roadside Assistance. I had a need to use them about 3-4 weeks ago when I got a flat on the rear one Sunday morning. 2 hours almost to the minute from when I called to when the bike was in my garage 25 miles away.

Back