• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Do you think that's air your breathing?"

Reaction score
There is a cool line in the first Matrix movie when Neo is fighting Morpheus and Lawrence Fishburn asks Neo "Do you think that's air you're breathing??"

The same can be said for the octane at the pump "Do you think that's 87/89/91 octane you are getting??"

My 2000 honda accord started pinging this year, first time ever, and the Bandit started to ping more heavily, so I found our state's weights and measures site and checked the fuel octane testing they do. http://www.azdwm.gov/

This is the inspection results page http://azdwm.gov/dwm/pv/Inspection_Search.asp have to type in a search do a city = MESA and inspection type = Fuel Quality

Click on a blue link from say APR and you will see that the RM2 for 87 tested at 89.7 a bit high
Then click one from say AUG or SEPT and you will see that 87 tested at 85.2 or less! Well that explains the pinging.

The octane level is all over the place, the best I could find searching the site is that the minimum standard is 82 octane, for all 3 grades. In Phoenix all our fuel comes in 2 pipelines from Texas and California, so it's the suppliers changing the octane and making more money at our expense. It must be cheaper to make 87 than 91 otherwise there wouldn't be a 25 cent per gallon discrepancy between the 2??? Right???

So selling 91 octane that is really 88.7 is what? fraud? Apparently not

Check your local area weights and measures and feel free to complain. I think in Texas it's done by the dept of agriculture but their site was down when I tried this morning.

Rich

This public service announcement was brought to you by your friends at Kinder Morgan --- NOT!

When we moved to Arizona in 2003, we ended up living through the great gasoline shortage when Kinder Morgan's main pipeline broke near Mesa Grande. :doh:

That was when we learned, among other things, that Arizona gasoline was different. One of the problems was that even if they had retasked other pipelines to carry gasoline, it would not be legal because it was the wrong blend. That "Arizona blend" may have something to do with what you found, Rich.

Lee

There is a cool line in the first Matrix movie when Neo is fighting Morpheus and Lawrence Fishburn asks Neo "Do you think that's air you're breathing??"

The same can be said for the octane at the pump "Do you think that's 87/89/91 octane you are getting??"

My 2000 honda accord started pinging this year, first time ever, and the Bandit started to ping more heavily, so I found our state's weights and measures site and checked the fuel octane testing they do. http://www.azdwm.gov/

This is the inspection results page http://azdwm.gov/dwm/pv/Inspection_Search.asp have to type in a search do a city = MESA and inspection type = Fuel Quality

Click on a blue link from say APR and you will see that the RM2 for 87 tested at 89.7 a bit high
Then click one from say AUG or SEPT and you will see that 87 tested at 85.2 or less! Well that explains the pinging.

The octane level is all over the place, the best I could find searching the site is that the minimum standard is 82 octane, for all 3 grades. In Phoenix all our fuel comes in 2 pipelines from Texas and California, so it's the suppliers changing the octane and making more money at our expense. It must be cheaper to make 87 than 91 otherwise there wouldn't be a 25 cent per gallon discrepancy between the 2??? Right???

So selling 91 octane that is really 88.7 is what? fraud? Apparently not

Check your local area weights and measures and feel free to complain. I think in Texas it's done by the dept of agriculture but their site was down when I tried this morning.

Rich

yep we export the left over soup and keep the good stuff here in Texas!! :lol2:

Chevron is the only company that has their very own pipelines and refineries, all the other brands come from the same refineries and pipelines, the only difference being at best proprietary detergent additives added when the tanker truck loads up.

So where does the ethynol get added, at the refinery or on the truck?

at the truck, or at the terminal where the truck fills up at.
the ethynol is transported by train and up till recently it was transfered to tankers just up the road from where I work at a make shift transfer point on a small rail yard.

In AZ, when the alchohol is added it's added at the pipeline distribution point. Something about it not being able to be pumped with gasoline - as Leon said.

We get "Cleaner Burning Formula" year round I think and if you were to see the sunlight glinting off the brown cloud hanging over the city on the commute into work, you would say we need it too. There is usually no wind here to blow that stuff into someone elses back yard.

Rich

for grins, next time you're at your local gas station, ask to see their fuel manifest.

In AZ, when the alchohol is added it's added at the pipeline distribution point. Something about it not being able to be pumped with gasoline - as Leon said.

I think Ethanol is hydrophilic and attracts water, making it bad stuff to run through a pipeline already mixed with petrol.

We get "Cleaner Burning Formula" year round I think and if you were to see the sunlight glinting off the brown cloud hanging over the city on the commute into work, you would say we need it too. There is usually no wind here to blow that stuff into someone elses back yard.

Rich

Especially in winter! The last December I lived in the Valley of the Sun, every workday in the month was a "air quality alert" day. And everybody seemed to have respiratory trouble. Yuck!

Wonder how long til 'This pump may contain gasoline, or a gasoline like substitute. w/o warning or notice'

http://azdwm.gov/dwm/pv/Inspection_Search.asp

Handy site this... just select "fuel quality" from the pull down menu and put a start date in like 09/01/2009 and hit the search button

Apparently the octane in the fuel we get in AZ suddenly improved about the 1st week of september. So now our choice of 87/89/91 octane is now more like 90.2/90.9/91.1 (for a circle K in Phoenix 10/07/2009).

I have noticed the pinging going away... much better than before when it was more like 85/87/89.

The ambient temperature has dropped finaly, but does that really have anything to do with it???
Or is it the crap fuel we get in the summer?

Back