• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Impressions Dyna Fat Bob & Wide Glide

scar04

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Saldana
Saturday I was in College Station for the A&M-New Mexico game and found out Independence HD was having a demo day. So not being one to turn down free rides, I went on over. Wish I'd had my gear, I have found I don't like half-helmets. As cool as one looks with shades on a bike, it's just not fun.

First up was the Dyna Fat Bob. It was an 09 with midmout controls. The fit was near perfect for me. I'd probably change up the slant back drag bars for some low rise like on my Dyna Super Glide. The seat was pretty cushy. You sat On the bike, not down into it like some Harleys. Nice upright seating position. Dual disc front brakes (awesome stopping). Good roll on power through just about any gear. And the thing handles like it is on rails. Low speed turns were not a problem at all. High speed curves (mild ones but still) were not a problem. The wide front and 180 rear gave it amazing handling qualities. I was truly impressed. The suspension wasn't bad. The roads were smooth so the shocks really didnt get tried out. The FXDF is a competent in town bike and feels like it could do really, really well on the highways.

Next, the new 2010 Dyna Wide Glide. I had to compare this to my dad's old 98 FXDWG and not the Fat Bob, it wouldn't be fair in most aspects. First off, the thing just looks really freaking coooooooool. Okay, more like a Bad *** Bike. I like the chopped rear fender, the low rise bars come back to a perfect height adn distance, the slanted loop sissy bar is a nice touch. On this one you kinda sit more in it since its a much lower bike. Power was amazing as always from the 96. Highway maneuvering was really really nice. Low speed stuff was a little awkward, as that kicked out front and skinny tire took some adjusting to. Handles a lot like the old Wide Glides, and I couldn't get used to it. I'm not a big fan of forward controls so that took some getting used to, I feel they may have been a couple of inches out too far for my legs, but if you got a windscreen on the bike you could tuck down really well. The one thing I would change if I got this one is the seat. Not a lot of cushioning and felt like I was sitting on a plank about 2 minutes into the test loop. It looks cool, but doesn't feel nice. A new seat may alleviate the peg reach as well (I'm 5'11 or so if that gives a gauge). I also don't like the side mounted license plate, mostly because it feels like the thing was an afterthought more than anything. I think it would be a great bike for eating up highway miles just like its ancestors were designed and have done.

The only drawbacks on both was I felt were some buzz through the bars in 4th gear on both. As soon as you shifted to 5th, it went away, but not sure what it was all about.

Not a bad day, the Fat Bob is now on the short list of bikes I want. However, I can't quite bring myself to trade in my 03 Super Glide on one. At least not yet.

Last edited:
Back