• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Front Fork Noises

PhilS

Reaction score
Hi guys:

I am getting a buzzing that "sounds like" what a loose nut/washer would sound like coming from what appears to be my front left fork. I had the Racetech/Gold Valave job done several months ago and it is great. The sound comes at 5000 to 6000 rpm then goes away. When I put my hand on the left from tube just below the triple clamp, it muffles the sound just a bit which is why I think it's coming from there.

Any thoughts about what could be happening?

Hi guys:

I am getting a buzzing that "sounds like" what a loose nut/washer would sound like coming from what appears to be my front left fork. I had the Racetech/Gold Valave job done several months ago and it is great. The sound comes at 5000 to 6000 rpm then goes away. When I put my hand on the left from tube just below the triple clamp, it muffles the sound just a bit which is why I think it's coming from there.

Any thoughts about what could be happening?

Possibly the cartridge rod locknut has come loose from the fork cap due to the nut not being properly tightened when you had the Gold Valves installed. The cartridge rod may still be screwed into the cap but is loose causing the noise.

Its easy to lift the front end off the ground and pull the cap to see if the nut and rod are loose in the cap. I would also check to see if one of the pinch bolts has vibrated loose and is dancing around in the hole.

Possibly the cartridge rod locknut has come loose from the fork cap due to the nut not being properly tightened when you had the Gold Valves installed. The cartridge rod may still be screwed into the cap but is loose causing the noise.

Its easy to lift the front end off the ground and pull the cap to see if the nut and rod are loose in the cap. I would also check to see if one of the pinch bolts has vibrated loose and is dancing around in the hole.

Popped both cap nuts off and they both appearer tight underneath. The pinch bolts and all mounting hardware appeared tight as well.

I did notice a "graphite looking" substance on the threads of the cap nut. I hope to GOD this isnt shavings and fork oil!! It probably is just an thread sealer of some sort.

If nothing else, over the winter, I plan on pulling the forks adn sending them to Rick to look them over just in case something did or is going wrong.

I rode the bike over some speed bumps and it tracked well, no noise or banging, and all seems well. But when I hit that 5K to 6K range generated harmonic, I can hear the vibration/buzzing. I have noticed it more lately as i have been told to keep the RPM's up in the twsities and use the engine to brake and keep my dang hands off the brakes! Thus, I am running this a lot more int he 5K to 7K range so I am hearing things I may never have heard before.

I have noticed it more lately as i have been told to keep the RPM's up in the twsities and use the engine to brake and keep my dang hands off the brakes! Thus, I am running this a lot more int he 5K to 7K range so I am hearing things I may never have heard before.

Wow! I would have to do some serious relearning my bike keeping the rpm up there playing in the curves. I can't remember the last time I saw over 5K on my engine. :mrgreen:

Sounds can be difficult to trace (especially for the hard of hearing , like me). I would suspect something in the faring first - at least before I did major surgery on the forks. I had a buzzing sound for awhile and it went away when I repositioned and re-tightened the windscreen. Just a suggestion, easy stuff first. :rider:

Hold the brake disk while revving the motor. I doubt anything installed in the fork could come loose and vibrate since all those parts are submerged in oil. Try the disk and the fairing and the fender......

Back