• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for co-rider Ft Worth to Itaska MN

Reaction score
I am looking for someone interesting in a motorcycle trip north. My ride with be a Suzuki GSX 1100 (similar to the Suzuki Bandit). For lack of a better destination, I am looking at the Itaska State Park in Minnesota (close to Detroit Lakes - about 1117 miles). That is where the Mississippi River is born. You can walk across the stream that is it's birth. I could easily be pointed in another direction. For planning purposed I am considering 2 days up, 2 day around and 2 or 3 days back. Iwould like to go around the middle of October.

There is one surviving friend of my folks at Rice Lake, Wisconsin and I am
considering a detour through Rice Lake. I have only been to the area once, about 5 years ago.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm out due to having my vacation days already allotted for the rest of the year. But that sounds like a fun trip. Welcome to the site and here's hoping you'll find a companion for the trip. Please stick around and make sure to post pics and a ride report when you get back so we can all have drool material while stuck at work.

Once you get north of Missouri that ride is brutally boring. If I were making that trip I would take a little more time. Enjoy your trip and be sure to report back to us. :rider:

You can certainly MAKE the trip brutally boring, but northern Minnesota in the fall is awfully pretty, and Itasca is gorgeous. The Tamarack pines are beautiful, and there are some nice drives around the park. Getting through Iowa to get to it is a little rough, but Iowa isn't that big. LOL

I took that trip way back in 75 on my R75/5. Just slightly different starting point than you. I started at the mouth of the Mississippi below New Orleans and followed the Great River Road all the way up there. That was a GREAT trip, lots of curvy roads and GREAT scenery. Going from Ft. Worth up to Minnesota is a very boring ride on the slab unless you get off of I35. As for how long it will take you, one day up and one day back with some good riding around the lakes in Minnesota sounds about right. When I travel back to see the family, we ussually leave around day break and get there late late evening.

You can certainly MAKE the trip brutally boring, but northern Minnesota in the fall is awfully pretty, and Itasca is gorgeous. The Tamarack pines are beautiful, and there are some nice drives around the park. Getting through Iowa to get to it is a little rough, but Iowa isn't that big. LOL

Okay, yeah, I can see that. I guess I meant the part between Missouri and mid-Minnesota. :giveup:

Back