• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heads Up Walmart Shoppers

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Doughtie
I was walking through the automotive dept and came across these items for motorcycles. I thought some of you might be interested in them. The goggles had JT stamped on them (as in JT racing) and were around $20. The gloves felt comfortable and went for around $12.

Attachments

• gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 138
  • gear2.jpg
    gear2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 145
  • gear3.jpg
    gear3.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 123
  • gear4.jpg
    gear4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 117
Also in wallyworld, I noticed and purchased oil!!!
Finally the price of engine oil is coming down again... time to stock up for those who change their own oil
5-40 rotella synthetic is still $20 though

It's the only place I can find the 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic.

Not even Vato Zone or O'reilley's carries it.

In the DFW area, only a few of the Wal-Marts carry motorcycle or ATV gear.

I was in the local walmart yesterday for the first time in months. The store has been remodeled (it wasn't that old), and it seems the selection of products is reduced. The shelves are lower and the aisles wider. The whole store seems brighter and somehow less "dollar store" than it was.

Anyhow, the motorcycle/ATV accessories seem to vary but I did not see any M1 m/c oil this time (I could have missed it).

On the upside, this store did have several bricks of .22LR by Federal. Some 9mm and .40S&W too but no .45ACP. :-(

It's the only place I can find the 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic.
The bulk oil jugs at the Advance Auto nearby are only 4 qt jugs, and more expensive too. Sneaky sneaky!

On the upside, this store did have several bricks of .22LR by Federal.
Got myself some of that too this weekend. Wish they'd get some CCI mini-mag in stock. :mrgreen:

I was in the local walmart yesterday for the first time in months. The store has been remodeled (it wasn't that old), and it seems the selection of products is reduced. The shelves are lower and the aisles wider. The whole store seems brighter and somehow less "dollar store" than it was.

Wal-Mart is undergoing a major image transition, e.g. remodeling and "main streaming" their stores. They claim consumers do not want large selections of items and consumers are happy with 2 or 3 of a single item. They are focusing on WM Private Label items and 1 name brand item as much as they can. This way they control the cost of items.....they tell P&G we want X and it has to cost A or we go to another vendor who will sell us a name branded equivalent to X. The wide aisles are a result of reduced merchandise selection and what they say are "creature comforts", in other words we have to make our aisles wider for the wideload customers. The lower shelves are supposed to give the store a more upscale feel. The problem they are facing is that the stores were built as on avg 140,000 sq ft to house merchandise that filled that. Now they have 90,000 sq ft worth of merchandise so they have to figure out how to "fill" the other 90K sq ft. These numbers are just examples but are fairly accurate. One major push is in their grocery section. They would actually like to get to the point of only having Great Value branded items in the grocery section. There are some big changes still to come. Some stores are eliminating the oil/tire area because they can't get "qualified" technicians to work there. Or the store has a history of problems in those areas. Sporting goods are also being pared down because of costs. Next spring look for the garden section to be totally restructured if my sources are correct.

The funny thing is I predicted in 2001 that WM would eventually kill itself by going the way of K-Mart and others. They would get greedy and not focus on the customer. It appears they are doing a pretty good job of either forcing themselves to downsize real estate or withdraw from certain markets because consumers simply do not want to shop there any longer.

Walmart seems to be either downsizing or completely eliminating its fishing department. Thats where I'd go when the wifey wanted to shop there. Looks like I'll be staying home more often.

Dave

Walmart seems to be either downsizing or completely eliminating its fishing department. Thats where I'd go when the wifey wanted to shop there. Looks like I'll be staying home more often.

Dave

Yeah, seems like all the decent departments are shrinking. I've noticed in the past 6-9 months they stopped carrying some brands of motor oil and they don't carry as many brands of oil filters as well as things like spark plugs. Now that I have a gun and care about a gun section it sucks that that department is almost gone. I remember when the gun section was fairly big with rifles and handguns. Oh well.

Academy seems to have a fairly substantial fishing department. At least the one's I've been to here in Houston.

Besides Academy is a Texas based company and better for our economy than Wally World.

Academy Sports + Outdoors traces its beginning to 1938 when founder Max Gochman opened the Academy Tire Shop in San Antonio, Texas. After a few years, Max began selling military surplus in his shop.

In 1956, he moved his business, then called Academy Super Surplus, to Austin, Texas and expanded the operation to four stores.

In 1973, Max's son, Arthur Gochman, began developing similar stores in Houston, Texas. Arthur opened six Academy Super Surplus stores, and the business continued to grow.

In the early 1980's, Academy added sports and outdoors items to its assortment of products and evolved into a full line sporting goods store. By 1990, Academy Sports & Outdoors grew to include 28 stores across Texas and became a leader in the sporting goods industry.

Back