PDA

View Full Version : Started My Courthouse Tour

TomN
09-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I've got several old bikes, nothing I wanted to go across Texas on, especially some of the way back roads I will be riding to try and make this happen. With my recent purchase of a VFR, I decided to try doing the Courthouse Tour. So today, I set off to get some near by Courthouses under my belt and see if I really want to do this. Liberty, Kountze, Woodville, Jasper, Newton, Orange, Jefferson and Chambers counties. About 310 miles and 8 1/2 hours. I need to improve my mapping/GPS skills as missed a few by a block or two, but was able to find them all. Several were having renovations/repairs. Overall a good day, will map out some a little more South/SouthWest of Houston next.

Cheers, Tom

M38A1
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start! There's a few around here that have completed the project. I've got about 50 or so up to this point. Couple of suggestions would include:

1) Purchase the book The Courthouses of Texas by Mavis Kelsey and Donald Dyal. It gives a history of each one, but more important, the address and a picture of what you're looking for.
2) Stick a pushpin in a Texas map for every town that has a courthouse. That makes the mapping/routing a lot easier.
3) If you do it in the Fall/Spring, the leaves will be mostly gone thus showing more of each courthouse. Any other time and you get a bunch of trees/leaves in the way.
4) When you get close to the small towns, just look up for a tall peak of a building. After a few you'll know what you're looking for and just ride right to it.

Have fun and keep at it!

TomN
09-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I bought two books, the one you mentioned and another, Historic Courthouses of Texas by Michael Andrews (it was a little pricy but is some good reading with fantastic pictures). However, I forgot to carry the smaller "The Courthouses of Texas" book today.

I had a few other snafu's too but it will get better with time/experience. When I got the bike I also got a Zumo 550 and a Scala headset and I am learning to use them at the same time.

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement.

Tom

M38A1
09-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I forgot to say for #2 above.... when you shoot the picture, remove the pushpin from the map!

TwoLane
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
I also enjoy going by Courthouses on my rides, though I haven't started taking pics of them...yet.:rider:

voyagerrider
09-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Check my galley. We have added some after this past weekend. It will be around 20 more. I don't have them all up yet. That gives us, Me and ladyrider, around 50 total.
Marty