• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How much for insurance on an '08 Honda 1000rr?

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Brosius
So I get an online quote from my current insurance provider and it was...just retarded. I understand it's a high performance bike, but ****. My driving record is excellent and I haven't gotten a ticket in over 3 years. Did I mention I've already got two bikes with them?
Would you guys that ride 1000rr's mind letting slip how much you've gotten your policies for? I need to know how much these guys are trying to ream me for. Any suggestions on a company you've dealt with?

Legally, all you need is liability (assuming the bike is not financed). I just bought a new R1 and my current insurance company gave me an absurd quote. I dropped them and went with Dairyland. Liability and comprehensive only...under $500 a year. Of course I'm an old dude (50+) with a clean record.

Good luck!

I have an 08 cbr 1000rr. I got 5 quotes from the usual suspects.2500 year full coverage. Liability and unisured motorist 500 year from Progressive who was the cheapest.Happy motoring.

progressive quoted me 5k full coverage( uninsured etc...). im waiting for statefarm to get back to me. btw 30 with clean record and msf etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

There's lots of stuff in a "full coverage" quote you don't need. Be sure you know what you are asking for. For example if you have medical insurance, why buy it again with this policy? Same goes for towing if you have AAA or something similar. Uninsured and under insured can be a rip off too.

Do a little research and save a bunch. Most folks buy a whole lot more than they need.

There's lots of stuff in a "full coverage" quote you don't need. Be sure you know what you are asking for. For example if you have medical insurance, why buy it again with this policy? Same goes for towing if you have AAA or something similar. Uninsured and under insured can be a rip off too.

Do a little research and save a bunch. Most folks buy a whole lot more than they need.

if you have comp and collision you don't need uninsured. it is covered by either the comp or coll part. i dont recall which. ask your agent and they will tell you it is covered. but they only tell ya that if you ask. otherwise they sell you on the uninsured motorist. it's just extra $$ in their pocket.

if you have comp and collision you don't need uninsured. it is covered by either the comp or coll part. i dont recall which. ask your agent and they will tell you it is covered. but they only tell ya that if you ask. otherwise they sell you on the uninsured motorist. it's just extra $$ in their pocket.

This may be incorrect, someone who knows for sure can shed more light on this.

I do not carry unin or underinsured but the way I understand this is if someone hits you, their fault, and they do not have insurance this is where your uninsured coverage kicks in or underinsured if they did not have amble limits, your collision would not cover this as I thought as you did above.

I thought it used to be that way back in the 70's, collision covered my vehicle if the at-fault driver did not have coverage.

That's sorta accurate. However, If I'm hit by an uninsured motorist and use my collision coverage I have to pay the deductable and it counts as an accident on my policy. If I pay for uninsured/underinsured motorist and am hit by an uninsured motorist I don't have to pay a deductable and it doesn't count as an accident on my policy.

I have Progressive. For my '01 TL1000R I have liability and comprehensive (no collision coverage) and it costs me ~$250/year. I don't have anything else insured through them.

Here's how the UM/UIM (uninsured/under-insured) and collision coverage works in TX:trust::

1) If an uninsured driver hits you and it's their fault, you are covered (for both property and bodily injury) to the extent of your limits (which are always the same amounts as your liability limits). There's a $250 deductible on the property damage part.

2) Your collision coverage will only cover the damage (or loss if a total) to your bike (minus the deduct) if it's your fault or if you are hit by an uninsured and you do not have UM/UIM coverage.

UM/UIM coverage on a motorcycle in Texas is something I'm not willing to do without. I carry $100K per person for injuries and I'm considering upping that to $250K. I see way too many cases of people driving in Texas with no insurance and/or no DL or a suspended DL. We are loaded with uninsured illegals who, if they hit you, will almost always drive off or abandon their disabled vehicle and flee on foot. If one of these folks runs you over and puts you in the hospital for any length of time, you recover zip, zero, nada for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, crippling injuries, etc. Many drivers who do have insurance carry just the bare minimum required by law. It doesn't take much medical treatment at all to eat up the minumum liability limits.

The reason UM/UIM coverage on a motorcycle is steep here is because of the number of uninsured drivers in TX, the number of claims and the large dollar amounts:eek2: usually involved if you do get hit by an uninsured driver while on a motorcycle.

I just bought a new 08 cbr1000rr and went with Geico. I have two bikes, im 26 have a clean record. $500 deductible for collision/comp. So with complete full coverage its $1650 yr. $2200 a year for both of my bikes. This is in Collin County (DFW) which is more than I paid when I lived in E. Texas.

Supposedly an insurance friend of mine has found me a better deal but I have yet to get back with him. I will let you know when I do.

I shopped with all major insurers and Geico had everyone beat by far!

So I get an online quote from my current insurance provider and it was...just retarded. I understand it's a high performance bike, but ****. My driving record is excellent and I haven't gotten a ticket in over 3 years. Did I mention I've already got two bikes with them?
Would you guys that ride 1000rr's mind letting slip how much you've gotten your policies for? I need to know how much these guys are trying to ream me for. Any suggestions on a company you've dealt with?

Call State Farm, Progressive tried to rape me and i have 4 bikes with them, State Farm is charging me 1200 a year for full /$500 deductable. Stil high but half of what the others wanted.

Last edited:
I'm surprised anyone gets a good rate with State Farm. I have my home and four vehicles insured with them and have had for as long as I can remember. So, figured I would ask one time. Rates were out the roof, as if to say, we don't want to insure bikes. I hear of good rates from them though. Is this dependent on the agent? I'm 55 (now), married with perfect driving record.

Here's how the UM/UIM (uninsured/under-insured) and collision coverage works in TX:trust::

1) If an uninsured driver hits you and it's their fault, you are covered (for both property and bodily injury) to the extent of your limits (which are always the same amounts as your liability limits). There's a $250 deductible on the property damage part.

2) Your collision coverage will only cover the damage (or loss if a total) to your bike (minus the deduct) if it's your fault or if you are hit by an uninsured and you do not have UM/UIM coverage.

UM/UIM coverage on a motorcycle in Texas is something I'm not willing to do without. I carry $100K per person for injuries and I'm considering upping that to $250K. I see way too many cases of people driving in Texas with no insurance and/or no DL or a suspended DL. We are loaded with uninsured illegals who, if they hit you, will almost always drive off or abandon their disabled vehicle and flee on foot. If one of these folks runs you over and puts you in the hospital for any length of time, you recover zip, zero, nada for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, crippling injuries, etc. Many drivers who do have insurance carry just the bare minimum required by law. It doesn't take much medical treatment at all to eat up the minumum liability limits.

The reason UM/UIM coverage on a motorcycle is steep here is because of the number of uninsured drivers in TX, the number of claims and the large dollar amounts:eek2: usually involved if you do get hit by an uninsured driver while on a motorcycle.

so are u saying um/uim will pay for lost wages and continue to pay if i have an injury that causes me to be unable to work? or give you $$ for pain and suffering?

my medical coverage covers my injuries. and my coll covers the bike so that is why i feel um/uim is a redundant coverage for me.

and i hope you dont think 250k will cover a lengthy stay in the hospital.

if you don't have UIM and get hit by a UIM, your comp will pay but it'll probably have a negative impact on your rate, like any comp claim.

Many other questions would be policy specific so you should ask your agent.

I have Progressive on my 1100 ninja... like 500 a year, comp, coll, UIM.

And yeah, in Texas going without UIM? Not gonna happen for THIS guy.

so are u saying um/uim will pay for lost wages and continue to pay if i have an injury that causes me to be unable to work? or give you $$ for pain and suffering?

my medical coverage covers my injuries. and my coll covers the bike so that is why i feel um/uim is a redundant coverage for me.

and i hope you dont think 250k will cover a lengthy stay in the hospital.

The way it works is that your UM takes the place of the liability insurance that the uninsured driver (if they are at fault) should have had, but did NOT have. UIM goes on top of the another person's liability coverage if it's not enough $$ to fully cover your loss. Included are all of the legally recoverable types of personal injury losses (medical, earnings, pain, suffering, physical impairment, etc.).

You're correct about a lengthy hospital stay being able to eat up $250K. Anyone riding without health insurance is taking a huge risk even if they carry $250K UM/UIM. One serious wreck followed by a long stay in the hospital can generate enough medical costs to lead to financial ruin. UM/UIM won't fully take the place of an actual health insurance policy in that really bad sort of situation. Health insurers do have what are called "subrogation rights" (hospitals get an "assignment of benefits"), so they will have their hand out for their chunk of the auto insurance money (the amounts are typically negotiable when you settle, depending on the situation) to recoup what they paid out for you.

It all comes down to this, with all the uninsured drivers and minimally insured drivers in Texas, it makes more sense to have UM/UIM than to not have it. It can help make a very bad situation much more easily handled financially.

Case in point - I did legal work mostly for insurers and corporations, but every so often took an injured person's case that I thought was genuine and serious. A mechanic I represented in the 90's got rear-ended at a stop sign, hard. It knocked his truck over 50ft down the road (totalled it) and messed up his back. The gal that hit him had the Texas minimum $20K/person in personal injury liability coverage. He ended up with about $12K in med bills and missed earnings from work. Her insurer paid $20K (plus the value of his truck) without any fussin'. Fortunately, my guy had $20K in his own UIM coverage that paid almost another $20K to settle. I encouraged he and his wife (who cleaned houses for a living - they had no health insurance) to up their UM/UIM to $100K. Almost exactly a year later, a high school kid pulled out from a stop sign onto Hwy 69 right in front of my guy's wife. Same deal (the kid had $20K/person liability for bodily injury), but in this case her broken arm injury required 3 operations to correct. The good news is that she had gone ahead and upped their UM/UIM to $100K when I had told them that they should. The end result was that, after the kid's insurance company readily paid its $20K + the value of her car, her UIM insurance kicked in almost another $100K to cover her losses. If they hadn't had that much of their own insurance, it would've been very tough for them to have ever recovered from the financial hit caused by the second wreck.

if you don't have UIM and get hit by a UIM, your comp will pay but it'll probably have a negative impact on your rate, like any comp claim.

Not correct. Comprehensive coverage is for damage NOT caused by a collision: stuff like theft, objects falling on the bike (like a tree or a building), hail, fire, pestilence, etc. Apparently, it will cover damage to the bike if you hit an animal

Progressive shot me a price of $1200 a year today on a '08 CBR1000. 45 years old, no tickets. I was guessing before the call it would be a $1000 a year, so I was not stunned. It did help me decide (for sure) that I needed to pass on this bike for now.

I'm surprised anyone gets a good rate with State Farm. I have my home and four vehicles insured with them and have had for as long as I can remember. So, figured I would ask one time. Rates were out the roof, as if to say, we don't want to insure bikes. I hear of good rates from them though. Is this dependent on the agent? I'm 55 (now), married with perfect driving record.

I have everything except my motorcycles insured with them. My agent who is also a good friend told me up front that I could get better/cheaper coverage else where. She said that motocycle insurance really is not a field that SF wishes to persue. SF will write it but it is actually insured through someone else there by making it much more expensive by the time they add their fee on to it.

Well since a Brand new 08 1000RR is $7299. I would probably go with liability only. Of course that is if you are paying cash. I was quoted in 06 with a perfect driving record and 45 yo over $2k for an 06 GSXR 1000.

Good Luck,

Todd

BTW, you normally have to sue the insurance Co. to pay for what your policy states.

I just bought a new 08 cbr1000rr and went with Geico. I have two bikes, im 26 have a clean record. $500 deductible for collision/comp. So with complete full coverage its $1650 yr. $2200 a year for both of my bikes. This is in Collin County (DFW) which is more than I paid when I lived in E. Texas.

Supposedly an insurance friend of mine has found me a better deal but I have yet to get back with him. I will let you know when I do.

I shopped with all major insurers and Geico had everyone beat by far!

...Hey, what's this "supposedly" shenanigans all about?!? :eek2: You know I wouldn't steer you wrong!

Call your old friend (so I can set it up for you) ..and for christ's sake, get your *** down here for a little hill country ride sooner or later :rider:

...Hey, what's this "supposedly" shenanigans all about?!? :eek2: You know I wouldn't steer you wrong!

Call your old friend (so I can set it up for you) ..and for christ's sake, get your *** down here for a little hill country ride sooner or later :rider:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back