• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Proper Helmet Sizing

I had always heard... "drop it off your bike... its toast." Interesting to hear him say it would be fine. I am going on 3 years with my current lid and it is starting to feel lose. Maybe time to do some shopping. Anyone been to a store were they actually measure your head??

Measuring your head is the easy bit. Can you imagine going to the store and trying to ask for the various shell size, inner size and cheek pad combinations? There's no way way could get a proper fitting. "Just what's in the box dude!" The only time I've seen this service is at the Arai trailer at a WSB or MotoGP meet, and how many us go and buy a helmet there? After watching Sete Gibernau face plant a couple of seasons ago and thinking "he's dead!" and then he walks away, I was sold on Arai. Although the last helmet I bought......HJC. I just couldn't face paying nearly $500.

Measuring your head is the easy bit. Can you imagine going to the store and trying to ask for the various shell size, inner size and cheek pad combinations? There's no way way could get a proper fitting. "Just what's in the box dude!" The only time I've seen this service is at the Arai trailer at a WSB or MotoGP meet, and how many us go and buy a helmet there? After watching Sete Gibernau face plant a couple of seasons ago and thinking "he's dead!" and then he walks away, I was sold on Arai. Although the last helmet I bought......HJC. I just couldn't face paying nearly $500.

This guy sells only Arai helmets..When I bought mine he shipped me two different helmets, two sets of liners and two sets of cheek pads. I kept what I wanted and sent the rest back..He provided an excellent product and excellent service to me at a fair price.

http://www.theservicepavilion.com/

I had always heard... "drop it off your bike... its toast." Interesting to hear him say it would be fine. I am going on 3 years with my current lid and it is starting to feel lose. Maybe time to do some shopping. Anyone been to a store were they actually measure your head??

I know the guys at Moto Liberty in Dallas did a proper job of measuring and fitting me for my helmet. And that was even before I decided to go for something more expensive than a base model HJC and got my Arai. I definitely recommend them for helmet sales.

Best pricing by far on Arai helmets in Houston is Honda of Houston. You're better off measuring at home and then going there to try sizes on. If you find a model/size/color you want and you want a brand new one rather than one "off the shelf" they will order you a new one for the same price.

We've shopped prices everywhere for J-Dawgs replacement and they beat the cheapest internet price by about $50. We are looking at the Arai Vector, their price is $345 I believe or is it $355. Either way it beats everyone else's price big time. Plus you can get AMA 10% discount or a Honda Riders Club 10% discount if you have your membership card. They can't give pricing on the phone from what I understand. Arai has agreed to their pricing but does not want it publicized by H of H.

Just an additional piece of info.

Best pricing by far on Arai helmets in Houston is Honda of Houston. You're better off measuring at home and then going there to try sizes on. If you find a model/size/color you want and you want a brand new one rather than one "off the shelf" they will order you a new one for the same price.
When I went to try on some Arais there they mentioned that they had removable pads but no one ever offered different size inners and cheek pads for me to try. I don't think I have ever seen anyone pulling out the inners of a helmet to change the pads for different ones in any shop?

Yep...MotoLiberty. but then again, sometimes you have to ask. As far as starting to feel loose, try changing the pads first. I did that with my Shoei after a couple of years & it felt much more snug.

I am convinced that buffeting riders blame on windscreens are caused by the wrong size helmet. I haven't experienced buffeting since I bought the correct size helmet. I wore a Large AGV for years and it turns out I needed a small with the cheek pads slimmed down. (Scorpion)

Most guys I know who complain about buffeting wear an XL or L and should be in a M.

During the past month I have fitted all of my helmets with new cheek pads and washed the liners. I ride pretty quick and keep my head on a swivel, so I like a snug fit. While having the correct size windscreen makes a world of difference in reducing buffeting, I too think that many folks complaining of buffeting are really wearing a helmet that is not fitted properly. Because I hang way off the bike, I can make a good comparison and tell if the helmet is moving because the pads have loosened up the fit or if it really is buffeting from where the air flow comes off the wind screen. Usually I feel buffeting at the back of my helmet from the negative air pressure rather than the front. Every once in a while, the air flow will make my head "wobble" from side to side. I have pretty much gone to shorter wind screens to get the air flow to hit me in the chest, rather than taller wind screens. I prefer only to use a taller screen if the temps are getting cold or temps are right for the country roads to be thick with bugs. With a proper fitting helmet, riding without a wind screen is not a problem.

When I went to try on some Arais there they mentioned that they had removable pads but no one ever offered different size inners and cheek pads for me to try. I don't think I have ever seen anyone pulling out the inners of a helmet to change the pads for different ones in any shop?

Nope, they don't do that. When I bought my first one I did a lot of research and found that the 25mm (standard size) just wouldn't work for my fat cheeks. I bought the replacement 15mm and it works great. J-Dawg is buying an XL Vector (same as mine), but he needs the 25mm because his cheeks aren't as pudgy as mine.

If you would like to try on a Vector with 15mm cheek pads let me know I'll let you try mine or lend you my cheek pads if you want to borrow them

I am convinced that buffeting riders blame on windscreens are caused by the wrong size helmet. I haven't experienced buffeting since I bought the correct size helmet. I wore a Large AGV for years and it turns out I needed a small with the cheek pads slimmed down. (Scorpion)

Most guys I know who complain about buffeting wear an XL or L and should be in a M.

My fueling is really bad between 3.5k-4k rpm. I think this could be a helmet issue?

Maybe, but only if your using your helmet as an auxiliary tank. I sense your sarcasm and raise you a wise crack. :lol2:

Back