View Full Version : Who has a back/spine protector?

Texas T
06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm considering getting one; either something that slides into the pocket on the back of the jacket, or something worn separately with the straps and velcro torso belt.

What do you have, what do you recommend? What do you suggest staying away from?

This is something I'm considering...

VELOCITYGEAR® Back Armor consists of:

--CE EN1621-2 Level 2 Compliant European tested and approved. Our armor actually exceeds Level 2 requirements with a KN transmission level of 4.49kn. The limit for this testing requirement is 9kn.

-- Injection molded spine guards

-- Pivoting back protector for superior manuverability

--Velcro® kidney belt system

--Perforated EVA padding for excellent cooling in all conditions

--Adjustable shoulder straps.

--Articulating spines for high maneuverability and ergonomic comfort.

--The lowest priced EN1621-2 Level 2 armor available ANYWHERE in the WORLD.

--$99.00 w/ Free Priority Shipping.

06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I wear on two actually. I have one from Icon which I wear on street rides which fits comfortably under my Fieldsheer.


Even though the Fieldsheer jackets already has a back protector, it did not do much when I last went over the handle bars, thus the added armour. One word of caution though, after a good 7 months of every ride use the Icon has lost its ability to stay properly closed b/c the velcro has lost its ability to stay put.

The other back protector I use is from Bohn.


This is more of a track back protector b/c of its size and thickness. While it is by no means a Dainese


or a knox,

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=108&department=108&division=1&WT.M C_ID=80003

two of the best, it fits well under my jacket and does provide all day comfort with the protection needed should I happen to need it.

Texas T
06-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the links. The only one out of all those models that is CE approved is the Bohn Monza and it's about $100 more than the one I posted above.

How about heat in the summer? Any additional discomfort due to having this on your back?

06-22-2005, 08:11 PM
How about heat in the summer? Any additional discomfort due to having this on your back?

No. I have not really experinced any real discomfort due to summer heat or winter chill. The one negavtive that I sometimes experince is that they can at times restrict movement when leaned forward, keeping me from lifting my head completely, but nothing that affects visibility or safety.

While C.E. certification is indeed important I can not imagine that perfessionals would not use something not appropriate for the use they put them through.

06-22-2005, 08:56 PM

Kobe's are CE approved and very reasonably priced @ $99.00. While no longer affiliated with them since the sale of TrackLeather, Marietta Motorsports imports all the Kobe stuff directly from Pakistan, Taiwan etc... without the big ad budgets of JR, Icon, etc. You get good quality without paying the middle man's mark up.

They offer two different sizes, which is important as when too long they'll push up out the collar of the leathers. That's bad.

I can't really say I noticed them being any hotter...when it's 100° it's brutally hot in leathers with or without the back protector.

My 2¢.

06-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I have one in my TourMaster Cortech GX Air. I feel that it would provide plenty of absorption in the event of an accident. It seems to cover plenty of area. I do sweat a bit underneath all the armour in this jacket, if I'm stopped and it's really hot out. The armour has held up very well and the jacket is very nice. You may consider a summer weight jacket with the armour built in instead of a separate pad unless you already have such a jacket. I paid about $138.00 for mine via the internet last summer.

Texas T
06-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Last night I ordered the one I posted above. I'll give a report once it arrives.

Jesse H
07-01-2005, 09:23 PM
I can vouch for the quality of velocitygear products. I had a pair of gloves which I sold because they were sized too large and the construction of them were better than anything in it's price range. Easily rivaling gloves costing twice as much.

As far as a back protector I recently got a Komodoracing protector similar to that Velocitygear one. I normally don't wear it unless I'm going out for longer rides, otherwise I just go with what's included in my fieldsheer or frank thomas jacket.

07-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I bought the T-Pro Forcefield back protector from Johnson Leather (http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor.htm)

I chose it over the Velocity Gear solely because it was thinner with the same CE rating. It's a lot more expensive though ($155), but comfortable. They make an insert that can replace the back pads on many jackets, but I got the one with the straps. I usually use it only on longer rides, as my jackets have built-in CE-rated (although lower standard) back protectors.

07-06-2005, 07:30 AM
I replaced the substandard backpad that came with my Joe Rocket Phoenix with a Dianese G2 that fit perfectly in the pocket, I plan on getting the Dianese "kit A" for the shoulders and forearms.

I like that Velocity model, would be good to have a full length back protector.

07-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I have the Dainese that looks a lot like the one in the first post. I do not go anywhere with out it (I am a safety freak). You can bend with no problem and the articulation at the kidneys area alows you to lean left and right. No big deal in summer. Be sure you do not wear the shouder straps too tight, this will push it upwards, hitting the helmet.

The main thing to pass the CE approbal is energy disipation and that is acomplish by having some sort of crushable material. They all look the same with overlaping plastic plates. Be sure that underneath those plates there is the material that will take the impact. In the Dainese case is some sort of orgami honeycomb aluminum foil structure.

07-25-2005, 01:58 PM
So if you wreck with a Dianese back protector, should that be replaced, or is it a re-usable style? Would be one more thing to talk to my insurance about.