• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A New Entry for the Electric Motorcycle Thread

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
A friend sent me this link. Cool looking design! Watch the first video, the bikes sound, "different"
ion_photoshoot21.jpg

Very impressive, lots of design imagination/talent, and lots of neat tools and equipment.

As a piece of design, it's quite impressive. But as a practical motorcycle it's a failure, just like almost all other 100-percent electric designs. If it'll go 60 miles at 30 miles per hour, that means it'll go about 20 miles a 60 miles per hour. Then it has to charge all day.

Still, you gotta give the kid props for his build. If nothing else, I bet he had a great time putting it all together.

This quote did make me laugh, though:

FTA said:
"I wanted something eco-friendly that didn't sacrifice performance," Miceli told Wired.com.

Leveraging his years of experience riding dirt bikes, Miceli stripped a '96 Kawasaki ZX6 Ninja to the frame and went to work. The result is a DIY electric motorcycle capable of more than 70 mph and a range of 60 miles.

Versus the bike's original 150 miles per hour and 200-mile range. I'd definitely call that "sacrificing performance" in a major, major way. :lol2:

I watched the Isle of Man rces this year and they had the first running of an electric category. The riders all said the electric bikes were a lot of fun and had a future.
Then I read Motorcyclist magazine for this month and I'll bet 1/3 of the magazine was articles pertaining to different electric motorcycles and the future. It looks like there is going to be a big push to sell and ride electrics for commuting.

Times are a changing.

I watched the Isle of Man rces this year and they had the first running of an electric category. The riders all said the electric bikes were a lot of fun and had a future.
Then I read Motorcyclist magazine for this month and I'll bet 1/3 of the magazine was articles pertaining to different electric motorcycles and the future. It looks like there is going to be a big push to sell and ride electrics for commuting.

Times are a changing.

...or would that be charging?

:lol2:

OK...I am NO electrical engineer, period. But..my question is...On electrical bikes and cars, why can't the wheels in motion somehow use a generator of some sort, to charge back into the battery? Or I am being an engineering simpleton? Just curious.

OK...I am NO electrical engineer, period. But..my question is...On electrical bikes and cars, why can't the wheels in motion somehow use a generator of some sort, to charge back into the battery? Or I am being an engineering simpleton? Just curious.

You are an engineering simpleton.
:rofl: If you knew me, you would certainly see the humor in this remark.

Kinetic Energy Recovery System

http://www.gizmag.com/formula-one-kers/11324/

Check it out. I think this could really help on cars in town.

My question is, why hasn't someone applied the diesel-electric design principal found in locomotives to a car or motorcycle? That is to say, a diesel engine spins a generator which in turn powers electric motors in the wheel drives. There's no need for expensive battery packs and the design is very efficient and powerful.

:shrug:

My question is, why hasn't someone applied the diesel-electric design principal found in locomotives to a car or motorcycle? That is to say, a diesel engine spins a generator which in turn powers electric motors in the wheel drives. There's no need for expensive battery packs and the design is very efficient and powerful.

I keep saying I'm going build and offroad buggy like that.

As a piece of design, it's quite impressive. But as a practical motorcycle it's a failure, just like almost all other 100-percent electric designs. If it'll go 60 miles at 30 miles per hour, that means it'll go about 20 miles a 60 miles per hour. Then it has to charge all day.

Still, you gotta give the kid props for his build. If nothing else, I bet he had a great time putting it all together.

This quote did make me laugh, though:

Versus the bike's original 150 miles per hour and 200-mile range. I'd definitely call that "sacrificing performance" in a major, major way. :lol2:

It is the "new" math.;-)

It's all about zero emissions.

What's really cool, is this is the time that motorcycles will push the technology for automobiles. Cars had fuel injection, ABS and other tech long before motorcycles did. However, when it comes to batteries and motors, smaller, more powerful and more efficient is the name of the game. Nobody knows this more than motorcycle folks. Excess weight and bulk are a no no and faster and more efficient are what we are after.

The technology developed for these bikes and these races will trickle down to cars as they'll want to capitalize on the technology, even though the push for smaller lighter stuff isn't as much as it is for bikes. Races like what took place at the Isle of Mann will help push this along and give a good basis for competition in this sector. Exciting times for sure.

I believe that is how the Volt works but with a gas engine.

Back