• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

200 mph thumper?

Reaction score
I was perusing yesterdays paper and came across this feel good story about a gal who found her passion racing. Obviously wouldn't be near as newsworthy as say; a male discovering he liked racing?

Anyway, this caught my eye. I've never heard of an XR 600 topping 200 mph unless it was pushed out of the back of a plane. Your thoughts?

649257579_8Hcm3-M.jpg

I saw that too, I was thinking the same thing. How does an XR650 reach 200 mph? Your method has merit! :lol2: Then it would slow to terminal velocity.

The reporter could not keep the facts straight. Brianne went 200 on a Busa at the Texas Mile. She holds a Boneville record on a vintage Triumph and has made a number of passes in a turbo Busa powered lakester. The XR is her Piles Peak and Rally Notice bike.

Women used to get the press because they were so unusual in motorcycle racing. All they had to do is show up at the track with leathers and a race bike and they attracted reporters. Didn't matter how fast they were. I used to call it the "Janet Guthrie syndrome". Not so much the case anymore and now days, there are some fast women (apparently like this one) who deserve the press. The bad old days of the all male sport and women being a novelty are disappearing, so the media has generally lost interest and some of the women are genuine fast. It's the "Danica Patrick" era. :lol2:

Yeah, man, thumpers have gotten fast, eh? To think, I used to beat up on 'em with an RD250. :rofl:

I knew that eyes would be rolling everywhere when I read that. We had three interviews and each time he had to ask again what I did what on. All three times I had to tell him that the 200 mph was at the Texas Mile on a 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa with nitrous. I even spelled it for him. When he admitted that he didn't know what the Baja 1000 was I knew the story would have some issues.

Modern Beat is my boyfriend and his autospell must have been taking over his keyboard. The XR was built to run Rally Moto but never did due to cost and then was striped of its lights and converted to supermoto style setup for Pikes Peak. I will be back there next year with a real race bike. Yes, an XR won't go 200 even if you throw it out of a plane.

One more thing. I think the story was more about an unmotivated uninspired person getting off her ***** and finding something to get excited about than some "gal that decided she liked racing". They did a similar story on Dave Carapetyan (Rally Car Driver) last year and he is not a "gal".

There are several misquotes and quotes out of context but that is to be expected, especially from a non racer/rider. I assure you that I am nowhere near as cool as he tries to make me sound.

My 2 cents.

Brianne:rider:

I knew that eyes would be rolling everywhere when I read that. We had three interviews and each time he had to ask again what I did what on. All three times I had to tell him that the 200 mph was at the Texas Mile on a 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa with nitrous. I even spelled it for him. When he admitted that he didn't know what the Baja 1000 was I knew the story would have some issues.

Modern Beat is my boyfriend and his autospell must have been taking over his keyboard. The XR was built to run Rally Moto but never did due to cost and then was striped of its lights and converted to supermoto style setup for Pikes Peak. I will be back there next year with a real race bike. Yes, an XR won't go 200 even if you throw it out of a plane.

One more thing. I think the story was more about an unmotivated uninspired person getting off her ***** and finding something to get excited about than some "gal that decided she liked racing". They did a similar story on Dave Carapetyan (Rally Car Driver) last year and he is not a "gal".

There are several misquotes and quotes out of context but that is to be expected, especially from a non racer/rider. I assure you that I am nowhere near as cool as he tries to make me sound.

My 2 cents.

Davey said you were cool:rider:
I thanked him at Stockton KS for helping you out.

My 2 cents.

Brianne

just MY 2cents. I'm pretty new to LSR but I'm an old hand in dealing with the press(several TV interviews and some newspaper coverage) when dealing with the press remember sensationalism sells. So Reporters are apt to blow things up, edit them down or misconstrue facts to get more attention. And that can be very good or very bad. In general I would say the coverage was pretty good for non Motorcyclists as it provides a positive light on our sport. Riders will most likely know where the mistakes came from.

Now to the other thing "I'm not nearly as cool,,"
In my honest opinion you are very cool! I think your a great inspiration to other Female Riders and Women in general! I have really worked hard to get out the message that "It's OK to do what you want, there are no boundries, follow your dreams." I think you exemplify that statement and set a great example for other women. You are one of the inspirations that have kept me coming back to the mile looking for that 200MPH T-Shirt!
YOU ROCK!

Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

My 2 cents.

You are way cool my friend. :clap:

image_8640519.jpg

Congrats on the recognition Brianne and placing 4th at Nats.
One of these days I am going to make it out to a Spokes event.

I knew that eyes would be rolling everywhere when I read that. ..

My 2 cents.

You should have taken him for a few laps! You would have gone from cool to a nut job!:rofl: Either that or he would have gone off the deep end too!:trust:

But he did get your quote right as in" It's up to you to make things happen" paraphrased of course.

As a person who has been at both ends of the journalism equation, I can tell you that these types of features rarely make it to press without errors or missed expectations.

For example, I've had several stories written about my musical endeavors over the years and, while all were basically done well, the writers sometimes seemed to focus on comments I considered to be insignificant at the time of the interview, unexpectedly expounding them into major themes within the final articles. As a result, none of them turned out exactly the way I would've preferred, and all contained some degree of error or misquote.

During my years as a working journalist, however, I came to understand that you can never truly meet the expectations of the interviewee -- especially in situations where you are covering subject matter outside your area of expertise. Though most writers have a certain 'beat', as it is called, there sometimes come assignments that no one else is available to cover. That's when your editor hands you some contact information and sends you across town to wing it. It happens all the time.

As for chicks getting disproportionate amounts of attention in motorsports, I don't really have a problem with it. Especially with regard to motorcycling, I look at any positive representation of the sport in media as a good thing. If a shapely female figure and pretty face happen to help things along, so be it. It's all good with me.

Last edited:
The Statesman reporter just called to apologizes about the misinformation. he said he has had several emails from readers that were calling B.S. He said they moved the text after he proofed it.:doh:

oh well.

Brianne

Chicks! Bikes! Chicks on Bikes!!!! This is all very cool!!!

Women used to get the press because they were so unusual in motorcycle racing.

I got the same thing in my former line of work as an equestrian therapeutic riding instructor (horseback riding for the cognitively/physically/psychologically disabled)

I was a rarity in that profession, a male. Men make up less than 5% of the hundreds of registered instructors in the U.S.

But, since I was "unusual" and presented a story slant, I could get press fairly easy. At the same time it cound be frustrating due to the press being more interested in my being a male, and not about the program.

Q "How does it feel being a man in a profession dominated by women"

Q "How does a man get involved in a job that mostly women do"

Q "What do your students think about you being a man"

Etc, etc...

I imagine women on motorcycles/racing got the same stuff.

The experience gave me some insight into what women feel like when they're involved in a "guys" oriented activity like motorcycles.

My 2 cents.

at least i did my part in making you cool.......................

ya sat in my truck in the a\c at the mile while we were waiting on the grid:mrgreen:

Back