• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

When In Doubt Turn to TWT

rhrose

Reaction score
OK here's the dilemma. I am wanting to take some rides in the Hill Country (coming out of San Antonio), but I am new to the sport, and thus a very inexperienced rider. Everything I read on the internet regarding such roads as the 3 Sisters, Willow Loop, Hwy.16, etc. go out of their way to say these roads are not recommended for beginners. So what's a guy to do?? Surely there must be some roads in the Hill Country that even a novice can ride if he/she keeps their speed down, uses caution and keeps their concentration dialed in.

So it would be a big big help if y'all would give me the straight scoop on a few country roads even a newb can ride. Also, I am looking for the same type of roads in North Texas with Plano as a starting point. Sure hope y'all can remember back when you were just getting started and were scared to death of those *#*&&^% cages and hair pin turns.

Thanks In Advance

Follow your nose. If you listen to some you would never get out of your driveway. A Hairpin turn is found down at the corner of your street. Seems the The Sisters are not for experienced riders either!:doh: Seems the brash crash, those that ride within their limits do just fine. Pick a direction and go. You well do just fine.

Just in my little opinion, the sisters and Hwy 16 are just fine for beginners as long as you go slow. Know your limits, know the bike's limits, and don't ride over your head.

If you do that, you'll be just fine.

Hill Country riding is actually perfect for beginners, for it will bond you to the sport for a lifetime of thrilling riding.

Your greater danger is within a few miles of your house, no matter if you're a beginner or have thousands of miles under your belt.

I like what's been said above - just don't outrun your abilities, whatever level you perceive them to be. I agree - I believe a greater percentage of mishaps are suffered by riders who would describe themselves as "experienced", and that newer riders ride with greater care and vigilance. It's when we think we've "got it down" that carelessness results.

OBTW - to your other question, no, I don't believe you'll find roads in the Plano area or North Texas that hold a candle to the Hill Country. Sorry.

Just in my little opinion, the sisters and Hwy 16 are just fine for beginners as long as you go slow. Know your limits, know the bike's limits, and don't ride over your head.

Exactly. Take your time, pay attention & enjoy the ride. Probably wouldn't hurt to study the roads you want to take using google earth or something similar.

What bike are you riding & when are you planning on going?

Here's a website I like to use:

http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/

Last edited:
As mentioned, the Hill Country is some of the best riding in Texas but you can find a few things to help with your addiction.

From your area, check out a map, look for squiggly lines that start with "FM" and go try 'em out. FM455 north of you has some good sweeping curves and rural scenery. Head toward Lake Ray Roberts. Or head NE toward Paris.

Just go explore. When you find some you like, go back and do 'em again.

If you want to brave getting thru the metromess - head SW toward Glen Rose and Hico. Even US67 is nice between Glen Rose and SH220. Then there is FM205, FM203, FM51, and others in that area.

Also, take a look at some of the Pie Run reports and check out the routes - they may also give you some ideas.

Enjoy! :rider:

What type of bike are you riding? The hill country for the most part is ok but as others have said just ride within your limits. About the only place that I would caution against is hwy 16 just south of Kerrville, everything else go for it

++ on MSNYDER's report. Highway 16 south of Kerrville (over the mountain) has had some heavy equipment on it. It's a good test of slow speed skills, but right now the pavement is pretty trashed. I actually think the most dangerous way to ride is with more experienced riders. Take your time, don't try to keep up with anyone, and you should be able to handle any of the hill country canyon roads. Don't add speed until you have real confidence and know that stretch of road.

What he said, heck even a beginner can do a track day, as long as you ride within YOUR comfort level and not at someone else's.

Just follow the Harley's, they all go slow.

Not ALL Harleys go slow! :trust:

Know your limits, know the bike's limits, and don't ride over your head.

+1

I rode the Dragon the first time as a relative newbie and did just fine. The next time I went was better, and I expect the next time will be even better!

I will add one thing to the above. Try to find an experince rider that is willing to ride at your pace. The buddy rule is good to follow when starting out. Never know when Murphy will show his ugly face.

I will add one thing to the above. Try to find an experince rider that is willing to ride at your pace. The buddy rule is good to follow when starting out. Never know when Murphy will show his ugly face.

But when doing this, make sure that the experienced rider is following you and not leading you. That way, you ride your ride and not his/her ride. Know what I mean?

Good to see you're using the forum and asking for the help. I live in Frisco and am always looking forward to early morning rides on the weekend and the occasional weekday after work ride. LMK and we can arrange to meet up. I've been riding for over a year now and have put close to 7000 miles on my bike (Victory Vegas). It's the "miles in the saddle" that helps as well as as using your head and knowing you and your bike's limits. I'll PM you my info.
Jay

Thanks one and all - especially for the maps and some very sage advise. I believe I'm up to giving it a try. My first venture will likely be north towards McKinney either on Hwy 5 (depending on traffic), or more likely via Country Club Road past the McKinney airport then on to New Hope and then NE to Wolf City and back. My biggest concern would be the amount of traffic on Hwy 5 and the short distance you would have to travel on Hwy 380 to the New Hope exit. As you can probably determine by now I am most concerned about cages - especially at high speed like on 380. They flat out scare me -- so I'm looking to get to wherever with the least amount of traffic- at least until I get more experience and feel more comfortable around them.

Hope I haven't mis-lead anyone, but I can see that I may have. My apologies for not saying I don't have my bike yet. I expect to have it (Versys) shortly as soon as I complete the MSF safety course. I would still like to receive any route suggestions you might have so keep them coming.

Does riding Bethany/ Lucas Road going east across Lake Lavon make any sense or is traffic to heavy?

Again, thanks for the suggestions, advise and encouragement.

Get a book from MAPSCO called The Roads of Texas. Order the half size version since that is much easier to carry on a bike than the atlas sized version. I know some good routes around plano/mckinney/wiley. My girlfriend is a newbie right now too. She has taken the class, gotten a bike, and we are working on getting her street ready in the parking lot a couple of nights a week. If you have your bike and would like to come out and practice along with, just let me know. we usually go to the church at the corner of alma and cross bend, or the calvary temple further up alma.

Last edited:
Thanks one and all - especially for the maps and some very sage advise. I believe I'm up to giving it a try. My first venture will likely be north towards McKinney either on Hwy 5 (depending on traffic), or more likely via Country Club Road past the McKinney airport then on to New Hope and then NE to Wolf City and back. My biggest concern would be the amount of traffic on Hwy 5 and the short distance you would have to travel on Hwy 380 to the New Hope exit. As you can probably determine by now I am most concerned about cages - especially at high speed like on 380. They flat out scare me -- so I'm looking to get to wherever with the least amount of traffic- at least until I get more experience and feel more comfortable around them.

Hope I haven't mis-lead anyone, but I can see that I may have. My apologies for not saying I don't have my bike yet. I expect to have it (Versys) shortly as soon as I complete the MSF safety course. I would still like to receive any route suggestions you might have so keep them coming.

Does riding Bethany/ Lucas Road going east across Lake Lavon make any sense or is traffic to heavy?

Again, thanks for the suggestions, advise and encouragement.

Well allrighty then! Another Versys rider. Great bike. I've had mine a little over a year now & enjoy the heck out of it!

You probably already know about the Versys site, but I'll plug it anyway:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/?gclid=CLu93q2Up5ICFQIbgQodbCmvNQ

Give us a visit. Lots of info over there...

:thumb:

Wait minute, you're already a member there & have been for awhile. I just didn't recognize you...

:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Thanks Bear. I've been a menber of the site you mentioned for some time and visit it daily. I've noticed you post there quite often - in fact, if I'm not mistaken, I believe you are a moderator. Always enjoy your posts.

Get a book from MAPSCO called The Roads of Texas. Order the half size version since that is much easier to carry on a bike than the atlas sized version. I know some good routes around plano/mckinney/wiley. My girlfriend is a newbie right now too. She has taken the class, gotten a bike, and we are working on getting her street ready in the parking lot a couple of nights a week. If you have your bike and would like to come out and practice along with, just let me know. we usually go to the church at the corner of alma and cross bend, or the calvary temple further up alma.

well i would love to come out and practice with you and the girlfriend.. im getting my dads old ugly harley this weekend :trust: and ive been practicing when i go home, dad always says ok.. do this ..noo dont do that.. but would be great to have another riders input..

Back