• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

your favorite gear (transmission)

your favorite gear

• Total voters
Reaction score
This may be a silly thread, but who cares :mrgreen:

My number is 3, I love 3rd gear. 1st and 2nd run out so quick. Third gives me more time to feel the pull, hear the engine sing it's song without necessarily going stupid fast. It is also good for twisty sections of mountain road without changing gears alot.

2nd, because on a true winding road 2nd gear will take you up to 75 or so just in time to hit 3rd on the straight aways. On most virginia roads I lived in second taking full advantage of the powerband and leaving most liter bikes behind. In El Paso I spend more time in 5th and 6th which I'm not happy with. :lol2:

Depends on the bike. Most of the bigger bikes (650cc +) I have had 3rd is favored. My new XT350 4th is weapon of choice for the city streets. Which ends up being 5-15 over for most local streets so I have to be careful but it sure is fun.

Interesting reading the other posts and thoughts on gears.
Most of you must be riding much twister roads than I do. I tend to stay in 5th for most of my corner carving. But then revving a boxer twin does not make them go much faster so I tend to say lower in the RPM range.
Sometimes I will drop to 4th on the RS (5speed) more to settle the suspension and give me the ability to raise the ground clearance or stop it from sagging in the rear by applying power through a curve with the drive shaft.
As far as favorite.... I like them all !

After reading hairsmiths post I want to revote...

I like the gear I'm in, because that being said, I wouldn't be at work, I'd be riding. :rider:

I'm always looking for another one! I have a five-speed and wish for a sixth on the highway (which is pretty silly, as I often downshift to accelerate). I firmly believe if I had 6 gears, I'd still be hunting for seventh.

where's the "all of the above - depends on situation" option?

totally depends on what I'm doing and where I'm at.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love third because when I'm in it a lot I'm in the twisty stuff. Nothing like rolling on as you exit the corner and then just let it storm up to the next corner's braking point and rolling off .... ahhhh!

I love third because when I'm in it a lot I'm in the twisty stuff. Nothing like rolling on as you exit the corner and then just let it storm up to the next corner's braking point and rolling off .... ahhhh!

+1

I love 2nd. It's like a slingshot that launches me into 3rd (which I also love). It seems silly to like a particular gear, but I do. The bike just really pulls there.

I do wish the duc had a 6th and wouldn't mind if the GS had a 7th.

Anything that gets a bike into the powerband... I thought when I had a 5 speed I would quit looking for 6th when I got a six speed. Now with a six speed and a gear indicator I now look for 7th. :doh:

For me its a rpm, not a gear. A friend asked me what gear I was running done some dirt roads in. I told him I didn't know, but I was staying at 4k. My bike likes that best. Some engine braking and pulls hard from there too.

I said second but I've been told I have more on my bike :shrug: guess some day I'll have to see if there is more than 3. :ponder: where to try and find out for sure.

1st gear is tractor gear
2nd gear is in some fun stuff
3rd gear is moving along faster

I have a VTR 1000 It's the only bike that I have ever owned that has been in each of the first 5 gears more than it has been in 6th. I vote for 1st for the feeling I get when I give it full throttle, 2nd for getting me where I want to be, 3rd for making me feel so good, 4th to keep me from over revving down the back straight at TWS and 5th because I know I'm heading off to the horizon. All you riders that want another gear can have my 6th. The only time I use it is when I'm way exceeding the speed limit.

I love them all:

1st: It's the fine touch on the throttle and the clutch
2nd: I start seeing all the cars in my mirrors
3rd: ...what a nice sling shot to get the speed limit
4th: the engine gets a little relaxed but still accelerating
5th: ...tunnel vision (never been there, but it must be amazing!)

...ride safe guys.

Cesar

P.S. ...I don't ride over the speed limit, I don't do crazy stuff, safety goes first, also my family and me. I just love what bikes can do.

Anybody else have this running in your head?

First gear, it's all right (honda, honda, go faster, faster)
Second gear, i'll lean right (honda, honda, go faster, faster)
Third gear, hang on tight (honda, honda, go faster, faster)
Faster, it's all right.

recorded by the Hondells and The Beach Boys...

Back