• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

National Geographic - motorcycle accident show

R

Red Brown

There is an upcoming special documentary focusing on motorcycle crashes on the National Geographic Channel that will be airing this week. I believe it is on at 8:00 pm central time. It appears as though it also airs at the following times/dates:

Check your cable listings....

Thursday, September 17th, 2009 @ 8:00 pm
Thursday, September 17th, 2009 @ 11:00 pm
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 @ 1:00 am
Thursday, September 24th, 2009 @ 4:00 pm

I wonder if they will rehash the old Hurt report of several decades ago or include new crash reporting data?

RB

protectivegear.jpg

1accident67.jpg

It's called Motorcycle Crash Tech at 8:00 CST on National Geographic. I'm going to DVR it.

This guy must have looked a little like the left half of your picture. lol

Naked man riding motorcycle charged with DUI
AP

Wed Sep 16, 8:40 pm ET

OCALA, Fla. – Authorities say a Florida man was charged with driving under the influence after he was spotted riding his motorcycle naked. The Marion County deputy was driving on Interstate 75 early Tuesday when he spotted what appeared to be a naked man on a motorcycle. The deputy caught up with 45-year-old J. Dante Krauss at a red light and stopped him.

Capt. Mike Rolls said Krauss could not explain where he was coming from or why he was naked. Rolls said the deputy asked him if he had been drinking, and he answered that he had. Breathalyzer tests revealed blood alcohol levels above .08, the state's legal limit to drive.

Krauss was charged with what Rolls said turned out to be his fifth DUI. Jail records showed he was later released on $20,000 bail. They did not list an attorney and his phone number was not listed.

The preview looks interesting ... though probably funded by Alpinestars.

protectivegear.jpg

Maybe we should have this compared to a Texas MC cop. Apart from some spandex pants and some Village People boots I don't think the guy on the left would change much.

protectivegear.jpg

Maybe we should have this compared to a Texas MC cop. Apart from some spandex pants and some Village People boots I don't think the guy on the left would change much.

The Moto cops I see around Austin will have a modular helmet, gloves, boots, and standard issue body armor during the hottest days and riding jacket when the temps drop. Much better protected than the pictured right side.

I want to watch this and I want my 18-year old son who rides to do so as well, but I'm not sure that I want the wife to view it until I check it out first. She worries enough about me riding even though I look like the right side of that guy all the time.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to get Tyler PD to upgrade their moto officers with some actual protective gear similar to Austin. Tradition is a very hard thing to overcome.

I want to watch this and I want my 18-year old son who rides to do so as well, but I'm not sure that I want the wife to view it until I check it out first. She worries enough about me riding even though I look like the right side of that guy all the time.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to get Tyler PD to upgrade their moto officers with some actual protective gear similar to Austin. Tradition is a very hard thing to overcome.

Yup....a few times when we have had openings in motors I have been asked if I was going to put in....I tell them I would love to but I'll wait until they join the 2000s in terms of protective gear....polyester pants, horse riding boots and a 3/4 helmet just don't do it for me.

Yup....a few times when we have had openings in motors I have been asked if I was going to put in....I tell them I would love to but I'll wait until they join the 2000s in terms of protective gear....polyester pants, horse riding boots and a 3/4 helmet just don't do it for me.

The sad thing is that a majority of the officers that I've talked to about this are very interested in having better protection than their current polyester pants, horse boots and half helmet. It's a shame that what most of us wear (I go with Olympia Airglide 2 stuff and full-face or modular) is superior to what the guys riding full-time have.

Never ceases to amaze me when I see an MC cop here in Houston. Riding a motorcycle in Houston is dangerous enough as it is. Doing it for a living chasing bad guys and stuff is extremely dangerous. Asking them to do it basically naked is insane! I don't mind my tax dollars being spent on kevlar pants, CE armor and decent boots.

The sad thing is that a majority of the officers that I've talked to about this are very interested in having better protection than their current polyester pants, horse boots and half helmet. It's a shame that what most of us wear (I go with Olympia Airglide 2 stuff and full-face or modular) is superior to what the guys riding full-time have.

Yup...all of our jocks know that they are not protected in the least in case of a get off...it is the administrators (those who quit doing the job years if not decades ago) that refuse to change the uniform because of "tradition".

Even Lego cops get better protection. And a .45 Glock by the looks of it. Not sure of the reason that Lego cops need to be armed. Seems Lego City is a more violent place than we ever knew.

enews_nov_2005_playmobil_police_DE.jpg

For Law Enforcement Moto Patrol type, I know that Aerostich USED to offer a RoadCrafter suit specifically made for Moto Officers. Had places for all the gear, equipment, and badges. Not sure if they still do. I've NEVER seen an officer in one.

For Law Enforcement Moto Patrol type, I know that Aerostich USED to offer a RoadCrafter suit specifically made for Moto Officers. Had places for all the gear, equipment, and badges.

AES_09.jpg

Photo from Aerostich website. Not listed on site, if available at all it'd probably be offered as a special sales item to LEO departments. Cool looking gear.

From one of the folks that organizes rides out here....

Hello all biggrin

I receive e-mails from the MSF Ridercoach site occasionally and that this one should be shared. It talks about a show coming on National Geographic about the technology being used to help prevent crashes and avoid injuries.

Thought some of you might be interested in watching. It airs tonight and Saturday.

Read below for all the details on who will be on, and what they are going to cover. Should be interesting.

Lcool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Motorcycle Crash Tech" is an extraordinary behind-the-scenes look at
the new technologies being used to avoid motorcycle crashes and prevent
injuries when a racer or rider does go down.

Exclusive interviews with World Superbike Champion Neil Hodgson and
Grand Prix legend Giacomo Agostini describe first-hand what goes through
a racer's mind the moment they know they're going to crash. Ago vividly
recounts just how dangerous racing was in the 1960s and '70s. Combining
rare archival footage as well as contemporary racing coverage, the film
explains the differences between high-sides and low-sides and the
extreme forces involved in both types of crashes.

The film captures stunning action photography of world-class test riders
Vito Guareschi and Umberto Rumiano in action during what are normally
closed test sessions of new riding gear and bikes. Factory riders are
also filmed testing the newest brakes on twisting Italian mountain roads
and performing incredible braking tests on a private test track.

"Motorcycle Crash Tech" will premiere on Sept. 17 at 6 p.m. Pacific time
on the National Geographic Channel. It airs again at 9 p.m. and on
Saturday at 11 p.m.

Filmed in 1080i high-definition and 5.1 digital surround sound,
"Motorcycle Crash Tech" takes viewers on an extraordinary journey across
Northern Italy. With rare access to R&D facilities, the film chronicles
the very latest technologies being used in motorcycle riding gear,
boots, helmets, brakes, and the bikes themselves to make racing and
riding safer.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/motorcycle-crash-tech-4238

Back