• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone got a ticket for "standing up"...

jsb223

Reaction score
First Name
jsb223
I stand up on the DRZ alot...

And even more on gravel...

From time to time on the ZRX when I need to stretch my legs on a ride...

It never occured to me I could get a ticket for it...

TRC §545.416.

RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE.

(a) An operator of a motorcycle shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle.

So take your seat off, you don't need it anyway.

I stand up all the time, including during my commute; passed lots of cops, never an issue. If one ever says something, I plan to just tell him that my butt hurts and/or I was having leg cramp problems (often the truth)... also that I can see better in traffic (one of the main reasons I do it) and can handle the bike just as well, sometimes better.

That said, I did get pulled over one time in Bertram on my way back from a trip... I was standing when he turned on the lights, so I thought for sure that's why I was getting pulled over... but no, it was because I didn't put both feet down at a stop sign; no mention of standing. I've purposefully tested it in front of cops since, but no takers :shrug:

Last edited:
Texas I don't think there is a problem. But I know FloriDAAA recently pass a law that specifically prohibits standing. Thank the street stunt crowd for that one. I don't remember what state it is but one of the east coast states can ticket if both your hands are not on the handlebars. Guess that helps stop all that outlaw biker low waive malarkey.

I got stopped and chewed out in Sulphur, LA in the early 70's for standing up. He said I must have been showing off. I was riding my 441 Victor and you had to stretch on that bike pretty often. I was dating his cousin at the time so maybe he didn't like that. At least I didn't get a ticket. He also stopped me one night on the way to work. I had my 400 Maico in the van and he wanted to see the registration on it. He really was a bit shy of a six-pack and the police dept. finally eased him out.
Robert

Most of the time if you do it to stretch the Police understand especially if they ride. But if it appears your showing off, then even in Texas you can end up on the side of the road with a LEO. I had a friend get pulled over for it on 59 going towards Houston from Lufkin. My buddy only got a warning when he said he had a charlie horse.

In some states if your caught stunting on public roads you can lose your bike. Standing up can be considered stunting by some officers, so be careful.

There was a thread over on ADV from a guy who was ticketed for standing up to stretch. I forget the state; it was somewhere out west. Doesn't MSF train to come up off the seat a bit for crossing obstacles? It would be kind of ironic if the state approved instruction conflicted with the vehicle code, eh?

So how'd it go on the both-feet-down thing? I don't see any connection between the number of feet used and whether or not a full stop occurred. Heck, I bet most of us can do a both feet up stop-and-then-go.

Wow, I am a by the books kind of guy, and even I only put one foot down at stop signs. I put one down so there is no arguement that I did a full stop but both feet seems like a silly ticket.

Wow, I am a by the books kind of guy, and even I only put one foot down at stop signs. I put one down so there is no arguement that I did a full stop but both feet seems like a silly ticket.

Actually, this one, I think, was for not puting feet down, period... I often do that as a challenge, in fact I'll often do it at a light, for as long as I can, anyway. However, I did get ticketed years ago in Huntsville for not puting both feet down; it was even written on the ticket and he went so far as to lecture me on the fact that both feet had to touch the pavement. I believed him, and played along until I got my first (tall) DS bike, then I decided that it was just silly.

Actually, this one, I think, was for not puting feet down, period... I often do that as a challenge, in fact I'll often do it at a light, for as long as I can, anyway. However, I did get ticketed years ago in Huntsville for not puting both feet down; it was even written on the ticket and he went so far as to lecture me on the fact that both feet had to touch the pavement. I believed him, and played along until I got my first (tall) DS bike, then I decided that it was just silly.

I do that too, especially at LONG stop sign lines, I see how long I can go before I have to touch for balance.

And yeah most of the time, I do the stop and go w/o putting a foot down, though if there's an LEO around (that I can see) I'll give the token one foot down.

Back when I got my licence, I failed the driving part the first time because I didn't put both (sometime none) feet down at stop signs.

I do that too, especially at LONG stop sign lines, I see how long I can go before I have to touch for balance.

And yeah most of the time, I do the stop and go w/o putting a foot down, though if there's an LEO around (that I can see) I'll give the token one foot down.

Exactly what I do too. I believe if you practice a feet up stop often enough you'll be an overall better rider. It really helps me get a feel for the bike. I also practice my slow ride coming up to a red light or circling around to an open gas pump.

Got to admit I look around at the cagers sometimes to see if they're shocked and impressed but I guess they don't realize the talent needed to pull it off.:lol2:

A feet up stop is an offense. As for standing, I guess we have the stunters to thanks for that one. On my GS and Aprilia I used to stand up to stretch (like everyone), on the R6 and the CBR that isn't comfy so I put my feet down. Is having your feet down at 70 and offense?

Now days I'm sure it is somehow... once again, thanks stuntas.

I do both stand up and stretch down. On my old R6 I used the frame sliders as highway pegs. I'm probably lucky I never got a ticket for that.

I had made a quick stop on our way back to the hotel from riding the 3 sisters, when I came up on Katoom. He swears he was stopped for riding standing up, but I'm not convinced it wasn't for being a squid....also known as being himself.

squid5700.jpg

He was riding standing up so that he could dry off from this "little excursion"

squid5686.jpg

It's an offense? I'm going by memory here rather than quoting, but I thought the verbage said you had to come to a complete stop, nothing actually specifies that you must put one/both feet down.

A feet up stop is an offense. As for standing, I guess we have the stunters to thanks for that one. On my GS and Aprilia I used to stand up to stretch (like everyone), on the R6 and the CBR that isn't comfy so I put my feet down. Is having your feet down at 70 and offense?

:eek2: you got a ticket for that? Man...must have been a LEO in a bad mood or something! :lol2: I stand up ALL THE TIME. Usually cuz I need the airflow on my legs, or cuz my legs are getting too stiff on long rides. Frequently just moving my feet to the pillion pegs are enough to get some stretch, but standing just feels SO MUCH BETTER!

oh no! Never even crossed my mind. There's this high arching overpass on the way to work and I stand up going over the top and then "ski" an imaginary slalom course down. Just having some fun.

On the other hand a ticket for stunting may be just what I need to be cool with my three adult sons. :rofl:

This thread is crazy. I have never heard of such things.

(a) An operator of a motorcycle shall ride on the permanent and regular seat attached to the motorcycle.

When I first read that, I took it to mean that the bike has to have a seat.
Especially when you read the whole statute:

TRC §545.416.
RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE.
(b) An operator may not carry another person on the motorcycle, and a person who is not operating the motorcycle may not ride on the motorcycle, unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person.
(c) If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, a passenger may ride only on the permanent and regular seat, if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind or to the side of the operator.

This seems to be a discussion of seats, and whether or not the bike has them, not a law regarding standing while riding. Unless there is some other statute, I would think a standing-up ticket could be beat in court.

Stunting, or whatever is a different matter, I would think, and would fall under reckless driving, or something, wouldn't it?

As for the two feet down thing, somebody show me that statute. I read on another forum that certain MC cops are specifically instructed to keep the left foot on the pegs at stops. That never made sense to me, and sounds like an urban legend, and how do you take off from a stop on a steep uphill without putting the left foot down and the right foot on the brake? Anyone else ever hear of that?
Interesting (and informative) thread.

how do you take off from a stop on a steep uphill without putting the left foot down and the right foot on the brake? Anyone else ever hear of that?

Anybody ever use the front brake to hold position on a hill? I normally have my right foot down, left foot on the peg, front brake engaged if not level.

TRC §545.416.
RIDING ON MOTORCYCLE.
(b) An operator may not carry another person on the motorcycle, and a person who is not operating the motorcycle may not ride on the motorcycle, unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person.
(c) If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, a passenger may ride only on the permanent and regular seat, if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the motorcycle behind or to the side of the operator.

We got away with this on Loop 1604 the other day...

652081554_xB8tD-M.jpg

Unfortunately, two feet down is the law. (Now, I'm not sure of this after doing some additional research...) In fact, I was in a habit of one foot only and when I took my MC test (when DPS still did them in the 70's), I failed the first time I took my test because I didn't put both feet down. Oh well... Went back the next day, took the test and made sure I put both feet down when I came to stops and passed without any issues. Now depending on the situation it's either 2 feet, 1 foot, or none (balancing act long enough to get through the intersection).

Wayne

Last edited:
As for the two feet down thing, somebody show me that statute.

Hmmm.... You might be onto something. I couldn't find anything either in the driver's handbook or any other official place that house the statutes. Interesting.

Wayne

Two feet down is impossible!!!! If I'm on a hill (or even the inclines at a railroad crossing I hold the bike on the bake brake, otherwise you need to balance the front brake and the throttle. I was always taught to keep my foot on the back brake when stopped for safety. How do you guys in Austin and the hills manage? As someone else posted "show me where two feet down is posted!"

Back