• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley 2010

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
Not sure if this has been posted. If it has, sorry I didn't find it while searching.

Harley's got the biggest expansion of bike offerings in their history coming out in 2010 and the furthest departure from the norm is really a return to their roots: the 2010 Street Glide Trike.

Birthed out of the great depression, three-wheeled Servi-Cars were alive and well for around 31 years until they were discontinued in the AMF era of Harley Davidson. With less storage space, room for a passenger, and a bump from 45 cubic inches to 103, the new trikes are certainly an "apples to oranges" comparison to their grandfathers, but you can't help but feel nostalgic looking at the lines of these new machines.

The Street Glide Trike area of Harley's website will feed you pictures, specs, pricing and links to over 700 accessories that make something like this uniquely your own. As more two-wheeled drivers are going to three, it's nice to see a new "from the factory" version on the market.

To see more of this machine before it hits the market, head over to Harley's Street Glide Trike website. $26999 base :eek2:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...le=en_US&bmLocale=en_US#/model/flhxxx/gallery

Only if I was crippled. And even then, I would go Goldwing trike or side car.

$27,000 more than I have ever spent on a car. I could buy a new race bike and new dirt bike and still run a CMRA season on that amount of cash.

Their biggest expansion in the history of the company and they are offering "1" new bike. All the rest listed are just different trim levels of the same bikes that have always been out there.

Dang, finally a company that makes American Honda look "cutting edge"....:rofl:

Funny thread. I just went to my Republic of Harley Davidson to get a present for my brother-in-law. When I went in the salesman who saw me arrive said....

"Nice motorcycle. What is it?"
"It's a KTM"
"Cool. Who makes that?"

Get out more guys!!!!!

Funny thread. I just went to my Republic of Harley Davidson to get a present for my brother-in-law. When I went in the salesman who saw me arrive said....

"It's a KTM"
"Cool. Who makes that?"

Get out more guys!!!!!

:rofl::clap:

"It's a KTM"
"Cool. Who makes that?"

Get out more guys!!!!!

:rofl: classic harley sales person

The Tri-Glide Ultra-Classic did pretty well last year, so the Street Glide isn't much of a surprise. With an aging riding population, coupled with a very active outreach to pull women in who don't currently ride, the emphasis on three wheels isn't surprising.

A Sportster trike next year maybe? To get the price point down?

With a little more digging you'll also find the Blast, is now just the Blast, no Buell...

After telling them it's a Kawasaki, I love when the Harley Salesman says "I used to have a Jap bike till I could afford a Harley." I'm never sure how to respond to a stupid comment like that.

Lack of knowledge is universal. I find the Harley sales staff knows their bikes inside and out and are true enthusiasts even if the do attack like a swarm of killer bees when you walk in. I can't tell you how many big four salesmen I've encountered that know nothing about what they are selling. I usually end up showing the sales guy how the bike works during the orientation. Harley, BMW and Moto Guzzi have been the exceptions.

After telling them it's a Kawasaki, I love when the Harley Salesman says "I used to have a Jap bike till I could afford a Harley." I'm never sure how to respond to a stupid comment like that.

Yep, I hope to someday be rich enough to waste money on chrome and noise without the side benefit of power and handling. :mrgreen:

When you get that rich, don't forget us "little" people on the "lesser" bikes! :lol2:

Yep, I hope to someday be rich enough to waste money on chrome and noise without the side benefit of power and handling. :mrgreen:

Yes but you are buying Heritage. That's worth a lot of money.

Serioulsy though. I like Harley dealers, and they are usually really knowledgable about their FLTSHLTSHTS and such. I just love the way that they have no knowledge that other motorcycles exist. If it not a Harley then by default it's a Jap crotch rocket. There are no other options.

Not entirely true. I wore my Triumph racing shirt to Independence HD in B-CS and the sales dude started talking shop because his grand-dad rode one for years. I was impressed. I think the old servi-cars are kinda cool. but then I'll ride almost anything.

HD is an American icon, like the Corvette (sorry, bad analogy) . I'd like to own one someday when I just want to put put around.

I take it that's you on the angry wasp K1200S?.....I'd say you have a few more years yet before you'll need a Harley :-)

"Oh yea, really? I used to own a Harley, but then I got smart enough to realize I could afford three Jap bikes for the cost of a Harley." :rofl:

Frankly, I don't find much difference between dealers. As a general rule, Harley dealers don't know much about other bikes, Honda doesn't know much about other bikes, Kawasaki dealers don't know much bout other bikes, etc. Their experience is mostly limited and here-say. EVERY bike has some disgruntled owner somewhere.

Four Universal truths I have found:
1. Everyone's info is biased toward the bike they ride.
2. Everyone know less about the other guy's bike than they will admit.
3. Some people make disparaging comments when some people can afford and/or justify buying a more expensive bike and like it.
4. Some people make disparaging comments about people who can't afford/or justify buying more expensive bikes like theirs - though this seems the minority.

Personally, I like all bikes.
Like riding WR250s, WR450's, Kawasaki's KX250, Magnas, BMW's R100RT, R1200RT, & F650CS, my old FatBoy, Ultra, the Ducati I rode several weeks ago, and the Goldwing to name a few. Heck - can't think of one bike I did not like riding. They were all a blast! Each bike had its style and was FUN!

I would hate to think I would be stuck on just one bike and/or one style forever. That would be boring to me.

Maybe I misread the posts - would not be the first time! But, what is it that causes us to sometimes have a tendency to attack some of our fellow rider's choice of rides or riding styles?
- What Harley does, they do BEST. NO ONE even comes close.
- What KLR's do, they do BEST, no one even comes close.
- What Honda Shadow does best, no one comes close and so on.

Harley's biggest, best new designs? Think they are stretching it. All look the same to me. Nice, but the same. New decals and paint does not a new bike make!

What I would like to see Harley make? A sport touring type bike with the V-Rod engine in it! That would be a new model. How about putting the V-Rod in the Buel?

Personally, I would not want a trike. They look nice, but I don't see the appeal. Would like to ride one sometime. It would be fun, though I don't think the fun factor would be big enough for me to buy one though. But, if its your bag - lets go riding! I'll defend you!

Please, did not intend to step on anyone's feeling. That's last thing would want to do or intend. Just feel the need to defend those riders who sometimes feel slighted.

Harley riders don't feel slighted, they have support groups to defend their choices. (H.O.G. anyone?) :rofl:

How about, "Yeah, I used to own a Harley until I actually rode a ____________."(Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, Ducati, etc.):trust:

Why else do we put the Harley guys in the rear of any group rides? Anyone? Anyone?

Four Universal truths I have found:
1. Everyone's info is biased toward the bike they ride.
2. Everyone know less about the other guy's bike than they will admit.
3. Some people make disparaging comments when some people can afford and/or justify buying a more expensive bike and like it.
4. Some people make disparaging comments about people who can't afford/or justify buying more expensive bikes like theirs - though this seems the minority.

Personally, I like all bikes.

Like riding WR250s, WR450's, Kawasaki's KX250, Magnas, BMW's R100RT, R1200RT, & F650CS, my old FatBoy, Ultra, the Ducati I rode several weeks ago, and the Goldwing to name a few. Heck - can't think of one bike I did not like riding. They were all a blast! Each bike had its style and was FUN!

Maybe I misread the posts - would not be the first time! But, what is it that causes us to sometimes have a tendency to attack some of our fellow rider's choice of rides or riding styles?
- What Harley does, they do BEST. NO ONE even comes close.
- What KLR's do, they do BEST, no one even comes close.
- What Honda Shadow does best, no one comes close and so on.
+1
Boy, without fail, you just can not post anything on here about Harleys without some folks with no first hand knowledge of them having to share their negative opinion. :yawn:

I'm like Tom, I appreciate all bikes, heck I even like scooters too. :rider:
I try my level best not to disparage your choice of bike, how about the same courtesy?
The best thing about TWT is the diversity of our members and what each one of us likes as their choice of bike. :sun:
If I want to see bashing of other makes, theres any number of Harley only forums out there, they do a fine job of it.
......not slighted, just dismayed....

Why else do we put the Harley guys in the rear of any group rides? Anyone? Anyone?

Uhh, they don't mind riding in the back because they don't have to prove their virility?
Uhh, they are have confidence in their choice & their position in life?
Uhh, they have nothing to prove?
Uhh, they are comfortable in their position in life?
Uhh, they don't feel threatened?
Uhh, this could be a long list.... :rofl:

I find this could be true of any of the silent group of riders who don't mind riding in the back... no matter the make of bike or the associated riding style.

+1
Boy, without fail, you just can not post anything on here about Harleys without some folks with no first hand knowledge of them having to share their negative opinion. :yawn:

I try my level best not to disparage your choice of bike, how about the same courtesy?
The best thing about TWT is the diversity of our members and what each one of us likes as their choice of bike. :sun:
If I want to see bashing of other makes, theres any number of Harley only forums out there, they do a fine job of it.

Let's see here... I've griped about American Honda and their lack of ability to bring new bikes to the U.S. I've griped about BMW making bikes overly complicated, and making bikes that self-destruct. I've griped about Harley charging 30-40% more than anyone else just to have that little chrome badge (but there are always people willing to pay for it so they must be doing something right). I've griped about certain KTM's and their maintenance schedules. I've griped about Suzuki and their gosh-darned overpriced fuel pumps on Vstroms. I've griped about Yamaha and their lack of wanting to recall the crap starters on the 03 WR450s. Oh yeah and the numerous recalls on the Warrior.

Hmmmm, who have a left out so far.... Oh yeah, Triumph can't seem to make a bike that doesn't leak oil all over the place. Hmmmmmm, what else.... Guzzi, yeah I don't really know much about them. Ducati, yeah, their maintenance makes KTM look like a walk in the park!

Most of us aren't playing favorites. There are great things, and not so great things about any and all makes of bikes. End of story.:chug:

I rode a GoldWing Trike a few years back...it was a real eye-opener. Instead of handling like a ponderous motorcycle (like I expected) it was more like a razor-sharp Miata kind of ride! I'd imagine an Ariel Atom feels very, very close, just with four wheels and more motor.

I think the attraction is that as many riders get into their AARP years, holding up the bloated luxobarges that are now touring bikes, pushing half a ton in weight with a passenger is kinda an iffy proposition. Or so I hear.

Uhh, they don't mind riding in the back because they don't have to prove their virility?
Uhh, they are have confidence in their choice & their position in life?
Uhh, they have nothing to prove?
Uhh, they are comfortable in their position in life?
Uhh, they don't feel threatened?
Uhh, this could be a long list.... :rofl:

I find this could be true of any of the silent group of riders who don't mind riding in the back... no matter the make of bike or the associated riding style.

They like watching all the sport-bike crowd crash out in the corners?;-)

+1

You have a valid point and I stand corrected. Sorry. I admit that I do get rather tired of this-- when someone in this area finds out that I ride, they most often ask, "So, what kind of Harley do you have?" :roll::giveup:

I promise that I don't give my many Harley/cruiser riding friends (around here, they have the rest of us vastly outnumbered) grief about their choice of bike. I do, however, encourage them, if we're doing a curvey road or two, to take it at their own pace. We'll wait for them at the next stop. They're very much OK with the wisdom of that. The exceptions are two Sportster riders I run with (one is an ex-kneedragger) who easily keep up with a brisk, but rational, pace and like to be at or near the front.

There is still an on-going discussion between me and my Harley/cruiser friends about the need for them to wear more/better protective gear. Is it a culture thing or what? I keep sending them links to threads with graphic pics about people who have suffered nasty road rash.:lol2:

Back