• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is it just me?

NPHLYT

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
On my way to Bass Pro in Pearland I pull up to the light, I usually hop into the free lane as people are slow... But there was an older red Honda Pacific Coast sport tourer in the center lane (lane I was in) and I realized that I did not change lanes, instead I sat behind the guy. I know why I do this: A guy I know was rear ended on his bike and broke his back, I always put my cage behind any motorcycle at red lights, or stay behind them (at a respectable distance) on the highway as a kind of buffer. As a rider I was wondering if anyone else put their cage behind motorcyclists?

By the way, the guy was VERY american, he had two US flags on the back of his helmet. If you are on this forum :wave: that was me in the khaki Jeep.

Ill occassionally block for groups on the highway by cruings behind or offset from the group.

Yep, I'm much more thoughtful about those sorts of things now that I ride.

i try to do the same, both at red lights and as im driving. i make an effort to get behind the motorcyclist and give room/be a buffer.

I rarely drive in enough traffic for this to be something I can do, but when I can, I sure will.

Yep, I've been known to do that. But only occasionally (cause I try not to drive the cage unless I HAVE to!). :trust:

By the way, the guy was VERY american, he had two US flags on the back of his helmet. If you are on this forum :wave: that was me in the khaki Jeep.

I only put Texas flags on my helmet and so should you
texas.jpg

Nope. I don't. But good idea though.

When I am sat at the lights and I see a car comming behind me I do however flash my brake lights on and off a few times as it helps the driver see me.

This may sound crazy but I think that may have been my Dad on the Pacific Coast.

He lives in Pearland and has an american flag on his black helmet. (don't think he has two).
I think he's also got a flag or two on the saddlebags. He takes the beltway and 288 to and from work.

I do this as well. The odd thing, my wife actually does this. She doesn't ride at all, but since I've been riding, she's started taking more notice of other riders while she's driving.

This may sound crazy but I think that may have been my Dad on the Pacific Coast.

He lives in Pearland and has an american flag on his black helmet. (don't think he has two).
I think he's also got a flag or two on the saddlebags. He takes the beltway and 288 to and from work.

Definitely had 2 flags, both in the center, one low.... I did not see any stickers on the saddle bags though.

I do it too. Today I was glad to be in the car behind a bike 'cause the car behind me was all over my rear bumper. The bike had a very small brake light to the left of the rear wheel and I'm sure the idiot behind me would have never seen it.

If the opportunity presents itself, I'm all over being the buffer between a biker & other cages. I'm especially aware of buffering for groups when possible. Must be a "paying it forward" kind of thing, cuz I've noticed cages doing it for me sometimes when I'm on the bike. Good Karma...yes?
Be safe y'all!
:rider:

I drive HWY 90A (Main Street) from Hillcroft to Brooks in Sugar Land as my commuting route (east to west a.m. and west to east p.m.). One thing I have noticed here is the lack of concern of drivers going both directions for motorcycles. I routinely attempt to buffer from surrounding traffic....but there is something about folks on this route that makes them want to squeeze in between. This morning I was at Dairy Ashford behind a sport bike of some type and had about 1 car length when we were stopped just in case. Well some woman in an Excursion decides she needs to be in the lane we are in and literally forces her way into the vacant spot. The guy on the bike had to pull forward because she was honking at him and giving me a salute because she had to be in that spot. Light changed and within 200 feet she moved into the lane she came out of and slowed to a crawl while talking on her phone.

If you commute on 90A keep a wary eye out. And if you see a greed ford ranger or blue jeep liberty trying to help protect you, that's me.

I do it and have done it for years.

Another thing I will do when turning left and have a bike approaching is flash my lights at him/her to let them know I see them.

I like to pull right up on there back tire, as soon as the light changes blow the horn and push them through the intersection..

for those who do not know me..
thats a joke..lol

Back