• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The WEE and city riding

Personally, I think it is excellent. It's tall, so you sit up where you can see and be seen. The lights are bright and get attention. :sun:

Plus - it's ugly and drivers fear you - "He might hit me with THAT!" :eek2:

:mrgreen:

I have a DL650; live near Ft. Worth. I'm not sure exactly what information you need. I enjoy mine for what it is. It is not very fast. And not very pretty. But these bikes are highly functional, well balanced and generally fun to ride. Mine has different fork springs, a gel seat, different brake pads, sticky tires and a few other upgrades that greatly enhanced the comfort and handling from stock. I believe these are really "do-it-all" bikes (on pavement); not great at any one thing but pretty good at a lot of things. In busy traffic they are very manuverable and quick. They are a little tall for some people. I'm 6 feet tall/ 32 inch inseam and it fits me fine (I cannot flat foot at stops).

One improvement that has come in very handy in traffic is my Steble horn. It has put cagers in the ditch a couple times- and saved my a**. I highly recommend this feature.

Hope that helps.

Stan

I think it is very good in the city. I commute daily 50 miles RT in FW. As others have said tall with good visability. Fairly light and manueverable. I think the headlights are the best in the business and both of them are on, even on low beam, unlike many sport bikes. Definitely not a rocket, but the little V-twin has a lot of zip at lower speeds because of the gearing, but a little buzzy at higher FWY speeds. I think I get noticed by cages more than any other bike I have had (read less of them pulling out in front of me) maybe because it is so ugly, or maybe because of the headlights. I notice a lot of car drivers will flash their brights at me at night when I am on low beam.

yup...wrong again....sorry. It's the classic 650 twin from the SV and other incarnations. Nice motor.

What they said. Suzuki had spent their money wisely designing this "cheap" bike. The frame is aluminum, that's (relatively) expensive and you have to run two wires for every electric connection where you get away with one on a steel framed bike. They did not skimp on the lights either, you get two H4 with 55 Watts a piece. Fire up the high beams and the cars start flashing at you during the day. The bars are wide, so it is easy to steer around tight spots and at slow speeds. So there you have it, large, comfortable, lightweight (437 lb dry) tourer. Throw a cheap topbox and tall windscreen and you get a great commuter.

the Vee and the Wee are perfect city bikes.

sit taller, better visibility.

sit taller, seen better.

good torque lower in the powerband for working in traffic.

water cooled so they don't overheat in traffic.

longer travel suspension soak up potholes and rough pavement.

long travel suspension makes jumping curbs and pedestrians easy.

body work and frame design making mounting hard cases easy and there are countless differant luggage cases available.

several choices available in body armor bars for riding on sidewalks.

plenty room to mount atleast two stebel/ wolo bad boy horns.

handle bar design alows you to mount two drink holders for morning starbucks mocha choco smoothy coffee.

you people that are worried about visibility and don't already have a headlight modulator installed on your bike should get one. They are very easy to install on a V-Strom. I have a Kisan. Works very well. Cars see you and get out of your way if you're behind them, and are less likely to pull out in front of you from a side street.
https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

you people that are worried about visibility and don't already have a headlight modulator installed on your bike should get one. They are very easy to install on a V-Strom. I have a Kisan. Works very well. Cars see you and get out of your way if you're behind them, and are less likely to pull out in front of you from a side street.
https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

which one did you get for the wee. i have been think about one.

Right--what the others said. I commute on I35 in Austin as much as I can--about 25 miles RT. I'm 6-2, 33" inseam--flat footing with gel seat is possible. I do like the upright riding position and the wide bars as well--work well with my aging legs and back. :rider:

Another factor is I average 53-55 mpg. combination of commuting and weekend wandering.

All in all, a great all around bike.

:eek2:I don't know where all these folks bought UGLY Wee's. My is cool looking and Bad to the Bone! Excellent riding position, quick handling even in pot holed third world roads. I only wish I had an ABS version for the city riding. At 30K, I have bought tires, a chain/sprocket kit, oil/filters and spark plugs. It is RELIABLE and fun. I have spanked many a sport bikes on curvy roads, I don't do the top speed stuff on straights. I just burn them in the curves. RH

Back