• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sport Bike Enthusiasts are "Maturing"

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
Sort of a deceptive title, I know. But it is the one that "Dealer News" used. Here's the article.

Sportbike enthusiasts are more mature than you think, if the results from a recent market survey hold true. A survey conducted by SportbikeClub.com indicates that the average sport motorcycle rider is 38.7 years old and has an average annual household income of about $60,000.

This “reveals a more mature audience of motorcycle owners and likely-to-buy enthusiasts with significant purchasing power in new and used motorcycles, hard parts, accessories and apparel,” says Sarah Timleck, publisher of 2Wheel Tuner and sales manager for SportbikeClub.com. (Both are sister properties to Dealernews.com.)

The survey found that:

More than a third of respondents said they plan to buy a motorcycle in the next year, although they didn’t specify whether they would be looking at new or used motorcycles.
Most riders (87.7 percent) modify their bikes, with 68.6 percent spending more than $500/year and 31 percent spending more than $1,000 a year on modifications.
On average, respondents spend more than $700 a year on motorcycle parts, $650 a year on accessories and $475 a year on riding apparel.
The SportbikeClub.com survey respondents were predominately male and fairly evenly spread across the Southwest, Southeast and Midwest.

I think the younger element is underrepresented. They often buy used bikes and may not appear in the statistics. My own survey says they also die at a much higher rate than older sport bike riders.

I don't think the demographic of a site like The SportbikeClub.com or here is representative of the community as a whole.

I'm a 40 year old sport bike rider, btw. :)

:rider:I can't recall the last time I saw a sportbike rider over age 30. They just don't exist in any numbers in my part of the world. Perhaps I have a limited definition of sportbike and that would be repli-racer.

Leftybandit

What qualifies as a sport bike? FJR's? ZX's? Bandits? If you ask the insurance industry, almost everything is a sport bike.

:rider:I can't recall the last time I saw a sportbike rider over age 30. They just don't exist in any numbers in my part of the world. Perhaps I have a limited definition of sportbike and that would be repli-racer.

Leftybandit

Heck, around here sportbikes don't exist in any real numbers. Cruisers outnumber them by a longshot...

Is a Hayabusa a sport bike?

If so, then I am a 55 yr young enthusiast and have no intention of "Maturing" :rofl: :lol2: :rider:

When I rode a VFR, meeting any other VFR riders under 30 was RARE. I knew probably close to 100 VFR riders. The KLR is even worse those. Meeting someone under 40 on a KLR is a real shocker! Most of the KLR crowd seem to be getting senior discounts when we stop for lunch :-P

I didn't really get into riding until I was in my 30's. I'm 38 now and ride a TL1000R.

Most of the rides I go on, the riders are middle aged like myself. I see lots of "younger" people on c...ch rockets. The people inbetween are busy raising families and do not have the disposable income like the aformentioned groups. At least that's what happened to me when I was that age.

Theyre catching up to the "Geezer Glide" crowd, the median age for Harley owners is 47 to 49, depending on the source. ;-)

Thanks so much for defining my age group! Though almost 66 years YOUNG, I still manage to have LESS THAN 1/8 inch chicken strips on my Bandit tires. The Wing is a different story, however, it doesn't do twisties either! Consider yourself properly chastized!

Thanks so much for defining my age group!

Wally, that "Geezer Glide" comment is not something I came up with; its generally regarded as a term of endearment in the Harley community and refers specifically to those who ride bagger models, like myself.
If its any comfort to you, I'm passed the median age I quoted too. :mrgreen:

Remember, we can all be offended by something if we try hard enough. Some try a lot harder than others and succeed a lot. Don't know where it gets 'em. But there you have it. And stereotypes USUALLY have some basis.

Dang, I have both a KLR and a "Gentleman's" sport bike that high-lite my gray hair. Just love "schooling" the squids on pure sport bikes when I am on the KLR. Can't due much about pure top end speed, but I can rail the corners and keep it interesting.:rider:

48 yr. old sport bike rider checking in. Bought my first when I was 14, an R5 Yamaha 350. I've rode all my bikes ( or tried to) like they where a sport bike. I now have a "real" one, 05 Triumph Speed Four and I absolutely love it.:rider:

38 is definately an average just not a bell curve.

I never met other 30 something sportbike riders. They were always early 20s or in thier 40s and up. The 30 somethings are busy having kids and building careers. Minus a few nuts like me who refuse to grow up.

VFR, Sprint ST, most any bike of the SPORT-Touring variety get tagged with the the "gentleman's sport bike" moniker.

I'm 26 and I ride a VFR. Everybody that doesn't recognize it on sight calls it a sport bike. It has an 'R' in the name so insurance says its an evil sport bike.

I don't really care what anybody calls it, I enjoy riding it :rider:

If you are not a part of the motorcycle scene, they are either "Harley" or "crotch rocket". I keep the explanations short to my non biker associations.

Wally, that "Geezer Glide" comment is not something I came up with; its generally regarded as a term of endearment in the Harley community and refers specifically to those who ride bagger models, like myself.
If its any comfort to you, I'm passed the median age I quoted too. :mrgreen:

All in good jest, my fellow bike riding friend!!

Back