• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pipe Down Please Ordinance

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
While I have an inate disdain for loud pipes, I do respect folks right to have them. Well except the person who lives in our neighborhood who likes to ride at 3:45 AM on weekends and you can hear the bike for a good 20 minutes. He/she needs to have their riding priveleges taken away. :lol2:

Here's an interesting article from the Boston area. Note they cite Boulder, CO as the model for their ordinance. I find it interesting that 2 of the most liberal areas of the US would restrict anyone's rights. Oh yeah, it's more of a NIMBY thing I bet.

Boston Police unveiled a new voluntary program to reduce motorcycle noise on North End streets, called "Pipe Down Please." The Boston initiative is mirrored after a successful program in Golden, Colorado named "Silence is Golden." The police will be handing out cards requesting cooperation from bikers on the neighborhood's residential streets. Police intend to initially target areas that bikers tend to gather such as Hanover Street. The cards will remind city bikers of existing sound level restrictions and the value of public peace.

Boston Police from Area A-1, Captain O'Rourke, Sargent Lema and Officer Teddy Boyle discussed the "Pipe Down Please" program at the September North End Public Safety Meeting. The police commented that enthusiast bikers are likely to comply with the program while there will always be some troublemakers.

Signage for Motorcycle Noise Reduction Program in Golden, Colorado
The outreach and self-policing program has had positive results in Golden, Colorado. This interesting story was on their website:
"In a bar, an officer shared this cooperative idea with a group of bikers. Shortly after the group went to the patio to chat about sharing the public peace value, two motorcycles with customized exhausts rode by with almost perfectly orchestrated timing. One was riding absolutely “rapped out” in a low gear, forcing the conversation to stop due to the bike’s loudness. The amazing part of this intrusion was that the bikers with whom the officer was conversing responded by exclaiming, “Now he needs a ticket!” They added that people who ride in that manner are “ruining the ride for the rest of us.” By contrast, the second motorcyclist, also riding a motorcycle with a customized exhaust, was in high gear with “low rev,” and the volume did not interrupt the conversation. The officer was quick to point out that the second motorcyclist was a great example of riding in a “community-friendly” fashion."

The Golden, Colorado program also involved businesses that feared excessive noise would drive away tourists. Police indicated a cultural change needed to take place to diffuse an "us vs them" mentality with the bikers. Logo signs are posted in businesses and on street signs to give visability to the program.

The initiative follows the efforts of District 1 City Councilor Sal LaMattina who introduced a city ordinance that calls for an EPA stamp on all approved motorcycle mufflers operating in Boston. Without such a stamped muffler, the biker will be ticketed for a $300 fine. The ordinance was approved by the City Council and signed by the Mayor. However, a legal challenge has delayed its enforcement pending court proceedings. Despite the holdup on the city ordinance, police are looking at increased training with sound meters to enforce existing noise regulations.

The EPA regulation has been there for a long time. Lots of quiet places that are considered nice riding destinations are starting to enforce it. As far as rights go, your rights end where mine begin. Where that line is drawn is often decided by the louder minority.

Last edited:
The EPA regulation has been there for a long time. Lots of quiet places that are considered nice riding destinations are starting to enforce it. As far as rights go, your rights end where mine begin. Where that line is drawn is often decided by the louder minority.
Apparently, the "louder minority" is not drawing the line here.

It looks like it's a "voluntary" program ... or perhaps an education program? I'm curious about the sound ordnances though ... if they target motorcycles only, then I have a real problem with them. If, however, it's not just motorcycles but (and especially) includes those in cars that crank their stereo and bass so much that your bones rattle from 50 feet away. THOSE are the ones that really need tickets.

I have no interest in loud pipes, but I'm not real fond of the "industrial compressor" noise that emanates from my BMW. What I want to know is why do loud pipe bikes need to be blipped so often while at a stop? Is it a contract requirement for that exhaust? Folks need to be considerate - 3 AM loud pipes blasting through the neighborhood ain't good behavior.

Just remembering that I got a loud pipes ticket on my kawasaki h2 750 (w/o baffles) in 1978.

I asked a local state inspection about loud pipes on bikes and they stated that they didn't check pipes...

I'm too old for loud pipes nowdays, more interested in quality of sound not quantity.
I admit I don't like oeverly loud pipes or stereos!!

:mrgreen:

.... Well except the person who lives in our neighborhood who likes to ride at 3:45 AM on weekends and you can hear the bike for a good 20 minutes. .......]

Anyone that is up at 3:45 has to be in bed by 8 or 9 , just go over and ring the heck out of the door bell or knock real load about 10 pm. When they show up just thank them for waking you up at 3:45. Start that every day and you can bet they well tone it down or move.

No, get a loud bike and ride around their house at 9 p.m. Justice should be equitable.

I was up in Paris a couple of weeks ago and some "bikers" rolled into the gas station blipping their throttles for what seemed like several minutes. They made it a point to rev the throttles right before they left too. They were obviously trying to make some kind of statement (that they are loud?!) All I could think of was a**hole bikers.

What does that say when me (another biker) feels that way.

Yup, my wife used to work till around midnight and we had a guy that every Saturday morning would light up his Harley and ride out through the apartment complex. Pipes were cut off at the bottom right where they'd normally start the turn toward the back. Certainly made me think twice about the rights to run loud pipes.

I tend to agree with both sides. Loud is loud no doubt and Throttle Whackers should be ticketed. It is these guys that WILL ruin it for everyone. I will be the first to agree that a stock HD or Triumph Twin sounds like crap and a nice set of aftermarket exhaust (Not drag Pipes) make the whole experience better but there has to be some limits and a certain amount of common sense (The later being the key).

Oh, I completely understand now because I do have to blip my 17 year old mower to keep it running. :mrgreen:

What I want to know is why do loud pipe bikes need to be blipped so often while at a stop? Is it a contract requirement for that exhaust?

That's the easiest way to spot the poseurs from the hardcore riders. The poseurs spent another $1k on loud shiny pipes and only get to hear them when they take their bike out on sunny days to go down the street and back. It sounds good to them so they want to hear it.

I have friends with fairly loud pipes on their Harleys, but they seldom blip the throttle at stoplights. They ride a lot and get to enjoy the sound of their pipes every day.:rider:

They are also very respectful when going thru residential areas. ;-)

No, Harley's will not idle, they must constantly be "blipped" to stay running. ;)

There is actually some validity to that statement.
For engines built with a lot of cam and the accompanying rich carb, blipping the throttle prevents carbon fouling the plugs; this was more prevalent going back a few years, nowadays with more bikes of all makes running EFI and having much more efficient engines, crankin' the loud handle at a stop has for the most part become an exercise in "Lookatmeitus" :whatever:

These are the same clods we can all thank for the backlash of restrictive motorcycle specific noise restrictions and bans, in addition to the laws already on the books.:clap: :wave:

The good news is that per the Sept. 09 issue of AMA's "American Motorcyclist", there will now be a uniform noise test for on-road motorcycles. (SAE J2825) OHV'S already have their own SAE test, J1287.
This is much more desirable than having to prove to LEO at a road-side stop that your mufflers are EPA compliant or having them guess your exhaust is too loud.
How many manufacturers of aftermarket exhausts do you think have gone to the effort and expense of having their components EPA certified? :shrug:
......that is correct, not too many.
The J2825 test is strictly about noise measurement, with no regard to system manufacturer,(afaik) so hopefully the bit about the EPA requirement can be struck from the books or modified.

fwiw, my Harley still has her original stock exhaust. :rider:

Anyone that is up at 3:45 has to be in bed by 8 or 9 , just go over and ring the heck out of the door bell or knock real load about 10 pm. When they show up just thank them for waking you up at 3:45. Start that every day and you can bet they well tone it down or move.

I agree with you on the noise, whatever time of day. I hate the noise the kickers run with their diesel duallys.

But come on, must be awfully loud or he drives real slow to hear for 20 minutes!:giveup:

Back