• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Coat Ideas from Specifications

h2000fb

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Ramsey
Ok, looking for new coat. My preferred preferences are:
  • Jacket or 3/4 Coat. Either style OK
  • Outter Shell must be totally WaterProof - NO MESH jackets
  • Must have liner that can be used as light jacket.
  • Armor must be removable

Now, I know that is not much as far as specs go, but am looking for your reviews on your coats that fit these specs, what you like/dislike about them, ideas and suggestions.

I have looked at Fieldsheer and some First Gear, but had fitment problems. :popcorn:

Olympia! Great suggestion. Forgot about them. The AST is a good possibility. Need to find someone who carries them and try one on.

my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket broke 3 plastic zipper pulls on my last trip. It's 2 or 3 years old. Time to try something different. The Olympia stuff looks good.

The Olympia AST, I think, looks like a good possibility. Hopefully it will fit better. The problem I had with FG and Fieldsheer products was fit. The Large was too tight and the XL seemed to big in all areas but freedom of movement. It even looked big on me. I don't know. Maybe just too picky!

Big feature I liked about Olympia was OUTTER shell waterproof and inner shell could be used as an off the bike coat if needed, and am hearing less negatives from people who owned them.

I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic that fits your requirements I think. 3/4 length. Outer is fairly waterproof (tested by me several times). Inner is fleece and can be worn as a standalone jacket. Even has it's own pockets. I think I've removed all the armor before to wash it. It has some vents, but mine is a couple of versions back so I don't know if the current ones vent exactly the same way so I won't bother to describe that.

Just to throw another wrench in your works, I have a Belstaff that I've been very happy with.
I bought mine at the motorcycle show in FTW a few years ago.
I wound up picking the Belstaff over the Olympia, just because the Belstaff fit my telephone pole frame a bit better. This was due to an extra adjustment strap on the sides under the arms.

I did a review on mine a few yrs ago. I think its still floating around here somewhere.

EDIT:
Here's my original thread: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14678
And the place I bought mine from: http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/

I have a jacket by British motorcycle gear that fits your criteria. I think BMG used to be Belstaff, but dont quote me on it. (no, BMG is not the same as Belstaff)

The jacket is 3/4 length, very adjustable with waist and arm adjustments. My first try at a textile jacket and I like them. The guy who sold it to me said they are waterproof, but I have yet to test that. I can say the jacket is warm even with the liner removed. I would only put the liner in if I was riding in temps at or around 50.

The jacket I have is called the Challenger.......

Last edited:
I do love me an Olympia AST, but I'm thinking that when it comes down to finally replacing my aging Kilimanjaro, I will go with the Fieldsheer 3/4 jacket. I tried one on a while back and it fit fairly well.

Aerostich Darien. I wore mine almost daily for 15 years before I replaced it. In 15 years I had three problems with it, one owner induced. And all three were well over 10 years into ownership.

The first problem was a broken zipper pull on the right sleeve zipper. That was probably 12-13 years in and I just put a metal ring in it and used that. Incidentally, I also had a zipper pull break on my Darien pants at just over a year old. Like the jacket, I just put a ring in it and continue to wear them without bothering with an actual repair.

Around the same 12-13 year mark the second problem began: it became less waterproof. Retreating didn't help. I think that there were just enough worn and damaged fibers in the outer shell that they managed to trap water regardless of waterproofing. I tried both wash-in and spray-on, but I could never get it completely waterproof after that length of time. Water would manage to soak through everywhere the jacket maintained contact with my body - primarily forearms and upper chest. It started gradually and the areas soaking through kept getting bigger and the time before I got wet kept getting smaller.

Problem three was operator error. In several of my attempts to waterproof it in its latter years, I neglected to follow the instructions and put it in the washer with the agitator on the paint shaker setting. It managed to catch one of the chest pockets and started pulling the seam loose. It was only half an inch or so, but it did pull loose.

For 15 years of daily wear, I think that's exemplary performance.

So 3/4 length - check.

Waterproof outer shell - check.

Liner that can be used separately as a light jacket - check. You even have your choice of three or four different liners - including a heated one.

Armor must be removable - check. The only other comment here is that back protection comes in two levels and is an extra-cost option either way. Shoulder and elbow armor is standard and can be upgraded to even better stuff for more money.

It ain't cheap, but in my opinion it's well worth what they charge for it.

I have a Kilimanjaro and have seriously considered the Olympia AST as a replacement. I have several other Olympia products and all have held up and done the job well. If I don't go with the AST, the Viper is a strong contender due to the versatility.

Too many choices... looks as though I must start over now with all the options presented. Thanks guys! :doh:

The BMG/Belstaff, First Gear Kilimanjaro, Job Rocket, and the Olympia AST- need to look at them all.

I think it was the Firstgear TPG Rainier I tried on at MotoLiberty, but did not like the fit. They did not have the Kilimanjaro in stock. Don't think they had any Fieldsheer or at least not of the style indicated? Did not ask if they had Olympia AST or any of the other choices. Guess I can look at their website.

Where are the closest places to see these? Does anyone know who stocks them? JBAY said he thought Bargers in Waco may stock the AST, but I may have to travel to try the others. Since my son and brother both live in the Dallas area, I am up their often. May some place up there?

Know who carries Fieldsheer - specifically their Adventure Touring 3/4 Coat? I would like to see that one also.

Just an FYI, the latter year Kilimanjaro jackets are NOT mild weather jackets. The venting is horrible, and unless you are the type to freeze your butt off at 80 degrees, they might be a bit warm in all but the coldest temps.

I was quite disappointed with them since my version 3 is aging and I wanted to replace it with a newer one, but now I'll have to look elsewhere. But if you are looking as something to keep you warm well into the freezing range, then it might be for you.

Going to replace my 2006 Kilimanjaro jacket this week with something Hi-Vis from Olympia. Since I regularly commute in low light conditions, to include inclement weather, I find that I just prefer the Hi-Vis colors. I have been wearing the Nova vest from Olympia over the top of most of my jackets, and notice a difference while negotiating traffic.

If anyone is interested, I'll part with my Kilimanjaro for $100.00. It is 2XL, Black and gray, minimal use (because I deploy to Iraq/Afghan), has kept me bone dry all this week, and has a gray fleece liner. If it were Hi-Vis fluorescent yellow I'd keep it. Will also part with 2006 Aria Quantum XL (Black with red graphic) and 2008 Shoei RF-1000 Lrg (flat Black with muted silver star graphic), Both with clean liners (washed and not worn since) and new cheek pads, two visors each, small blemish on each from normal wear, $125.00 each. Just not the "right" color, replaced with a nasty fluorescent yellow/green Scorpion and a Rossi replica Sun/Moon in Hi-vis.

MotoLiberty Dallas carries the Olympia line and I'm pretty sure they have the AST in stock. Look for the rack with all the High-Viz stuff and you've found the Olympia rack :thumb:

If your Military, Moto Liberty in San Antonio offers a military discount. The Dallas store may as well so it is worth asking. The discount covers the tax and a little more. They too had a full line of Olympia gear.

Pulled the trigger and bought the Olympia Viper in Black with Hi-Vis after the Pie Run in Kyle today. I definitely liked the look, as it matches the Air glide pants I already own, but ultimately I like the versatility of the jacket.

You may want to look at the Firstgear Jaunt. To me it looks like the jacket that the Kilimanjaro "should" have become. I haven't tried one on in person yet, but Cycle Gear has them, and even has a few on clearance.

Back