• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike too big for dualsporting ?

chadleys1

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Chadley
I've been cheating on my Husqvarna, lately, with a big German girl.
These pics are from out past Leakey, from this weekend.
... had some beautiful weather, camped in Leakey Fri and Sat nights, so Saturday just poked around all day testing out the new BEEMER !!!
aaaruvehpic.jpg

ariverbedopti.jpg

I loved it... :rider::sun:

Nice Score Chadley, how long have you had it?

I had several Beemers back in the day and always wanted a "big-1000cc" GS boxer when they came out. Especially a nice PD like yours! (had a r80GS in 83) And several older ones - /2 and /5 models before that one. Beemers are like crack, once you get hooked its hard to give up!

To answer your question - I don't think it's too big for D/S. Actually I think its the perfect bike for a TAT adventure. (I don't think I'd want to do tight trails but for most D/S rides it would be great)

Keep the pics coming - :rider:

Chadley...you realize your Husky will now do (a) not start the next time you want to ride; (b) run out of gas; (c) get a flat tire (twice on the same ride) or (d) all of the above....just sayin'.:trust:

A friend of mine crossed 600 miles of the Chihuahuan Desert, all dirt, on a very similar bike. I'd say it's dual sport material. Congrats on owning a great bike....

Chadley,

That BMW is one hot mamma!

I'd call her an adventurer and your husky a dual sport. Every stable should have one of each ;-).

Jeff

THANKS for all the replies, and letting me post some pics of the new bike.

PS ... not much in the upcoming rides section ?

-Chadley

As Bill Clinton might say, "define dualsporting".:mrgreen: Those big beemers are quite suited for those who slab to faraway places and then ride some moderate dirt and jeep road venues. And depending on the rider, they can be found hitting some fairly gnarly places. Probably the main issue is how tough does a rider want to make the ride when the off road menu is served.

For example, I have a decently modded '01 KLR650. It's a little more dirt worthy than the big beemer. Even then it's a bit of work to run this bike through decently gnarly terrain. Lots of weight and less travel than some other more dirt worthy DS bikes can make an off road ride fairly challenging. So it all boils down to what you're wanting to do. I've recently added an '06 KLX250S to my riding toolbox. I usually haul my DS bike to a given riding location like Silverton/Ouray, Moab, etc. I set up a base camp, and then ride all the available trails and jeep roads. For this style of riding, I was unnecessarily limiting myself with the KLR650...or at least making the experience a lot more work. Just because a rider "can" herd a water buffalo down a given trail, doesn't mean it's the best use of one's effort.

People are different, and the rides they take can be very different. As TJ1776 suggests, having the right tool for the job can make each trip a lot more fun.

Nice PD.

No bike is too big, and no tire too smooth as long as the mind and spirit are willing. Any bike will do dual sport within its abilities.

DS_FJR.jpg

No bike is too big, and no tire too smooth as long as the mind and spirit are willing. Any bike will do dual sport within its abilities.

Any bike will do, you just have to be willing to accept the inevitable damage that will occur from DS adventures.

Any bike will do, you just have to be willing to accept the inevitable damage that will occur from DS adventures.
Correct! As the cracked front fender, dented muffler, chipped mirror,punctured coolant hose, and scratched fairing show, loose deep gravel is beyond the scope of the FJR. Oh, and picking it up in loose gravel was not exactly a pleasure either.
:eek2:

I had not seen a blue PD before, only red ones. I do like it.

Hey, you know that PD-BMW reminds me of something...can't quite put my finger on it. The color is unique...reminds me of something. Hmmm...:lol2:

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 166
Purty sure I saw that beast at Harvest Classic as well.... can't be too many of them around. Throw this BMW-norant person a bone... what's the "PD" about? Certainly not Police Dept?

Last edited:
Purty sure I saw that beast at Harvest Classic as well.... can't be too many of them around. Throw this BMW-norant person a bone... what's the "PD" about? Certainly not Police Dept?

BMW took the popular GS version and made a PD version - a tribute to the "Paris to Dakar" race bikes.
Over sized tank and maybe a few other differences besides graphics. You could buy either version during the mid 80's to mid 90's in either the R80 (800cc) at first then the R100 (1000cc)

BMW took the popular GS version and made a PD version - a tribute to the "Paris to Dakar" race bikes.
Over sized tank and maybe a few other differences besides graphics. You could buy either version during the mid 80's to mid 90's in either the R80 (800cc) at first then the R100 (1000cc)

It always amazes me when a manufacturer can get something so right and then DROP it

I am betting these would still sell ... just like the African Twin ... and ...

She's purty! I too have only seen the red ones before this one, but the blue is very nice.

Back