• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I45 Wheelies

SL350

Reaction score
Yesterday 9-27, I was driving up I45 North at Italy TX when a group of 7 or so sport bikes entered the freeway. Oddly, they spread to block two lanes. Not a big deal as they were going 70. Then they spread out and blocked all three lanes and two riders began to wheelie at speed. One rider was up and down fairly quickly while the other continued to wheelie for about 3/4 a mile, slowing down to 60 or so. His three lane buddies did so also to control the traffic in all three lanes.

Not only was I ticked but we all came up on a car that had a blowout in the right lane. That made the group break up and block only two lanes. I passed but found that at 80 I was not getting away. I will end here but if you know any of these young ____ , tell them that next time I am coming after them.

behavior like that has lead to violence against bikers. IIRC there was an article linked here on TWT about this in Dallas on the tollway.
Eventually darwin will win

In Dallas there was a moving shoot out when a car tried pass a group doing this. I want to say it was 2 years ago and made all the bike forums and news.

Your cell phone is your friend. Call law enforcement. It's not worth a shootout or a wreck.

Could'a should'a would'a called it in. Plates and descriptions. That way the stolen plates can be associated with a particular bike.

Funny, I just heard a group talking about the same kind of thing at lunch with the "other" perspective. The group of 20 -25 year old young guys were talking about the "skill" required to drive 140 on LBJ. They were talking about youtube videos and how hard it was to do this or that.

I guess this generation needs their first "hunt" to prove their manhood. For them it is not killing a bear with a bow, it is doing bike tricks. (Personally, you can have the bear!)

I guess this generation needs their first "hunt" to prove their manhood. For them it is not killing a bear with a bow, it is doing bike tricks. (Personally, you can have the bear!)

Ahhh, one of my favorite songs of all time... :zen:
(Ted Nugent's "Fred Bear")

Fred Bear? at the end of the song said:
If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill. Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul

Sorry it was not me. My ST1300 can't wheelie without the assistance of a large crane.

RB

Come one, any bike can wheelie, just maybe not a stand up 3rd gear wheelie on the interstate. :lol2:

It was on Dallas Riders - I'll see if I can dig up the link.

The thread about the stunter incident in Dallas is here.

However, it looks like several of the links are broken - at least the first news link is a story on a different event and the link to the Dallas Riders forum (post #42) is defunct.

Not me, just found it on the web.

Attachments

• 35958.jpg
    35958.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 69
Sorry it was not me. My ST1300 can't wheelie without the assistance of a large crane.

RB

If it's any consolation I have never wheelied the Concours 14. I think about how much I still owe, right before I let out the clutch.

Concours14_wheelie_bg.jpg

Come one, any bike can wheelie, just maybe not a stand up 3rd gear wheelie on the interstate. :lol2:

They call the ST, tons of fun! Yeah if you crank it enough after holding the throttle in it might go but such a heavy bike puts a lot of strain on the driveshaft doing such a trick. At least on a chain drive, you can drop a tooth on the front and make it wheelie much better.

I still have not seen any great ST13 rider do a sustainable wheelie on theirs. :)

RB

I've experienced being passed southbound on the Gulf Freeway by 3 squids doing approx 90 on rear wheels. I muttered a couple of words under my breath and continued on my way.

BTW: I've wheelied my ST though it wasn't on purpose. Scared the **** out of me... I know a guy who says you can wheelie a GW if you hit the throttle hard coming out of a turn.

I'm pretty sure at one time Plano PD had dash cam footage of my ST riding a wheelie.

The only reason I didn't get stopped was the look of disbelief on both mine and the officer's faces.

Yesterday 9-27, I was driving up I45 North at Italy TX when a group of 7 or so sport bikes entered the freeway. Oddly, they spread to block two lanes. Not a big deal as they were going 70. Then they spread out and blocked all three lanes and two riders began to wheelie at speed. One rider was up and down fairly quickly while the other continued to wheelie for about 3/4 a mile, slowing down to 60 or so. His three lane buddies did so also to control the traffic in all three lanes.

Not only was I ticked but we all came up on a car that had a blowout in the right lane. That made the group break up and block only two lanes. I passed but found that at 80 I was not getting away. I will end here but if you know any of these young ____ , tell them that next time I am coming after them.
Look, I don't condone this kind of behavior, but I think this is a pretty cool story. I would have enjoyed being behind them for a while just to catch the show. If you weren't getting away at 80 then were they impeding traffic, or just impeding speeders?

Plenty of threads on this stupid problem. It isn't going away unfortunately. And of course there isn't skill in going 140 on LBJ or other streets, rather the rest of us must have some skill to not let them connect with your machine IMHO.

Yep, an ST'er here too. ST's and Wings are easy to wheelie machines, but why do that? Many bikes can get a wheel up anyway. JuST watch out for those unsupervised humans out there.:eek2:

Last year I got pulled over by Roanoke PD, doing 70 in a 55 on 114. As soon as I had my helmet off, I turned around and started asking him questions about his ST13. I think he was surprised, but was quite chatty about it. When he got to the part about how easy it was to pop the front up and carry it, I knew I wasn't getting a ticket this time...

Darwin will unfortunately but swiftly thin that herd. Scary thing is that in my youth I too rode like a banshee. It was great being immortal, but even greater that the good Lord gently smacked some sense into me before I messed myself up.

I don't even think that the cops try and chase these guys. Every Sunday night the Loop 610 GP gets underway, apparently without any interruption as it's been going on for years now. Maybe they too figure the herd will thin itself.

Back