• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Happy 50th Danny 'Magoo' Chandler!

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Murphy
For any Vintage MX Riders/ Racers, one of the greatest MX racers is having a birthday Monday, Oct 5....he'll be five-oh!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"Danny Chandler (born October 5, 1959 in Sacramento, California) was a top AMA and world championship motocross racer of the 1980s. He is remembered for his hard-charging, aggressive riding style.

Chandler began his professional motocross career with the Maico factory racing team in 1979. His aggressive riding led to frequent crashes and earned him the nickname "Magoo" from the near-sighted cartoon character that was always running into things. By 1982 he had earned a place in the American Honda factory racing team and claimed the biggest victory of his career when he won the U.S. 500cc Motocross Grand Prix. In 1982 he also won both races in the Motocross des Nations as well as the Trophee des Nations, becoming the first rider to win both motos of both events in the same year."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCq4R1Oxu4c

http://www.dannymagoo.com/photos

(....it would be cool if he somehow saw this thread and posted a reply...)

Anyone got any Danny Chandler stories or memories?

More power to you, Danny! I know he's had a rough time in the past few years.

I used to lust after the Mugen Hondas that he rode and wondered why he wore those Scott's plastic boots when a pair of Highpoints worked just fine for everyone else.

I miss the smell of Castor Oil in the morning...

I was at the Gainesville FL national in the late 70's.
The track used a old quarry pit that you jump into and out of more than a few times each lap.
This one kid was hitting the big up hill jump so hard and fast he was getting into the trees on the side of the track... it was Danny.
The track crew took a chainsaw with a worker in the bucket of a front loader and cut off a couple limbs to make "head room".
Next practice Magoo was WFO off that lip and flew almost to the next corner!
I don't remember who the race went for him, but he Won practice!

You know Brad Lackey another MX star from those days is doing
a fund raiser to help buy Danny a new handicap van. Danny is still
active in MX and is at MXON this weekend with the US team. There
was a good interview with Brad on Pit Pass Radio this week.

I only lightly followed MX, but I remember the name. Sorry to hear he's gone.

I hope it's not inappropriate to continue this thread, since it started out with "happy birthday"....but, it contained so many good comments and posts by my fellow TWT members about Danny,... I continued the thread for that reason....(I hope that's ok.....).

: (

R.I.P. Magoo

42.jpg

Here's Magoo showing what made that era of MX so special. How many racers would continue on with their handlebars in that condition today?

21_jpg.jpg

Last edited:
"Magoo in 82"

From the Racer X Archives - November 2002

May 5 2010 12:34PM

"In 1982 Danny 'Magoo' Chandler stunned the world by winning all four motos of the Trophee Des Nations and Motocross Des Nations. It was one of the greatest individual feats in motocross history. In memory of Danny we decided to post this article. Download the PDF version of our article from the November 2002 Racer X Illustrated."

go to: http://www.racerxonline.com/article/magoo-in-82.aspx

Its nice to see that folks still remember Magoo. I was a racer/fan in the eighties and Danny was "the Man". I remember when he went over the pond and kicked Euro booty. Now adays no one knows or cares whats going on over there. Thanks for the memories Danny.:clap:

Back