• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Putting Google Maps into your GPS

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Brogden
I do all my ride planning on Google Maps - I like it better than Mapquest and other tools I've found.

I found a neat tool that facilitates taking complex routes made in a Google Map and uploading it into a GPS.

http://www.bevhoward.com/G2WPT.htm is a concise article showing how to use the GM2GPX tool to pull the information you need.

I've taken a complex route for my airhead tech-day trip next week from Google Maps to my StreetPilot 2720. The lines on the GPS are straight - they do not follow the actual route, but do connect each turn at the right location. And the "next turn" name and distance work just fine.

The article also has tips on using a couple tools to edit the Google Map output so it will be easier to read on your GPS - such as renaming the waypoints from nondescript (such as GPRT-004) to the street name.

Interesting, but it looks a bit more complex than the Harley Davidson ride planner that I've been using - it will take the route that you plan and, from the web site, download it to your GPS. And it follows the actual route. You can also share the route with others from the Harley site as well.

Does the Harley tool work with any type of GPS? Is it available on a subscription basis? I'm all in favor of effective and easy to use - even if it's from Harley :-)

I know that the automatic export works with the Garmin Zumo; I don't know about other devices. But it does have a manual export that will give you a GPX file.
It's free ... all you have to do is register for an account on their site.

Thanks for the reply - please post a link to the HD route planner, as I typically pay no heed to anything with that brand and know not where it is.

I use a piece of software called TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php. It allows you to sketch out a route in Google Maps (or Earth I believe) and then transfer it to a GPS> I believe it works with both Tomtom and Garmin, but I have only tried it with a Tomtom.

Be careful when you set your waypoints that they are on the correct side of a divided road as when you transfer them to the GPS it will spin you around to make sure you hit them :)

I use a piece of software called TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php. It allows you to sketch out a route in Google Maps (or Earth I believe) and then transfer it to a GPS> I believe it works with both Tomtom and Garmin, but I have only tried it with a Tomtom.

Be careful when you set your waypoints that they are on the correct side of a divided road as when you transfer them to the GPS it will spin you around to make sure you hit them :)

Scottie:
Can you please elaborate a bit on the transfer? I have not been able to "figure it out"...
Thanks,

Last edited:
Looks like it does not work with TomTom One...

I have a Tomtom one V2 and it works just fine !

I connect the tomtom via tomtom home and then when I am finished creating a route I save it and then transfer it to the tomtom using the transfer to tomtom button on the toolbar. The route then appears n my tomtom as an itinerary and can be loaded as one.

What version of tomtom one do you have?

Sometimes tomtom and TYRE don't agree on the shortest route between 2 points so it there is a particular road that you want to travel make sure and put a waypoint on it.

I have a TT One, 3rd Edition.
I do not see Itineraries in my unit..

On my Tomtom one you need to go into the setup menu and select "Show all Options" in order for the itinerary planning option to show up on the second main screen (or atleast that works on a V2).

If you can't get it to work drop me an email and I'll put together some screen shots to see if I can help.

Stuart

Well I put a Harley Davidson route onto my GPS and hit the road Friday. Although it exports maps most easily, it does not export the road names - so distance to next turn, etc. displays "Via Point #4" instead of "Spring Cypress". This is a deal breaker for me. I can edit the file I get from Google maps and make sure the GPS has these road names - tried it and it works.

Back