• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What a MEZZ-ler

thestudent

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Have y'all ever seen a tire do this?

My fiance and I were on our way to get pictures done with the bike last weekend as part of a wedding photo shoot package. We get to the photographer's place and Jessi (my fiance) happens to look at he rear tire. This is what she saw. :eek2:

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

We didn't feel the tire at all the whole ride up there at freeway speeds. I think the separation happened in the parking lot as we pulled up. When pulling in to their place I had to do a U-turn because I passed it up the first time. Even doing the tight slow U-turn didn't reveal the bump feel of that much tread being lost.

There happened to be a motorcycle store about a mile down the road, K's Motorcycle (I think that was their name) on 59. I called them to see if they had a replacement Metzler with white walls in stock and they did!!!! Jessi jumped into the car with the photographer and they followed me to the store. They couldn't believe I rode to the store, but the tire was still holding air. On the ride to the store I could feel the bump of the missing tread the whole way. This is why I don't think it happened until a minute before we got off the bike. I never went and checked to the parking lot to see if I could find the piece.

The photographer left and told us to call him when we are done. About an hour later we had a new tire. We called the photographer and they met us to get the shoot.

All in all an uneventful experience, but I've never seen a tire do this. I have always used Metzler tires and even replace the tire with an identical Metzler.

I called Metzler, I kept the tire, and they will look at the tire and decide if it is a manufacturing defect or not. I explained that the tire was not under warrenty, but they said the warrenty against defect is for the life of the tire.

I'll let you know what happens.

:eek2:

Oh, that's a tire defect alright. Your guardian angel was watching over you that day. For it to happen almost unnoticed at parking lot speeds, I mean, instead of flying down the highway.

Lucky you for sure. Curious, did you get the mfg date from the sidewall? It is formatted week of year/year I think.. wwyy

I use to run those 880s, had one chunk. I been trying different brands and I am very happy with the Michelin's. Stick good, decent life. I trade sticky for life, those 880 would get the flat spot and have half life to go. Some folks praise the Dunlop III.

It may or may not be a defect. This type of delamination can also be caused by extensive use of incorrect tire pressure, devulcanization due to age or misuse, or from being overloaded.

Glad you're okay. As Ghostrider suggested, please post updates as new info develops.

Metzler's quality is going downhill Im afraid.

Several Metzlers have come apart like that on the www.VentureRider.org forum.

I used to run Metzlers my Roadstar with no problems though.

I quit running Metzs on my wing five years ago after having two rear tires with left sidewall cracks and one front out of round.

Stoopit local rep Jeff Whatshisface told me I didn't know how to put air in the tire right. Guess there's a technique for airing up BOTH sides of the tire that I don't know about. :doh:

They will never be seen on any of my bikes again.

Marathon880.jpg

NoMetz.jpg

I always thought Metzlers were great quality. I wasn't aware of the Germany/Brazil move.

The tire (pretty new) was on the bike when I bought it used, and that was Feb '08. I have put 7,000+ miles on the tire. I don't know the manufacturing date. The tire is now at Cycle Gear on 45 N. They are an authorized Metzler dealer and are reviewing my case/tire. They told me it would take a few days before they will know anything.

I normally inflate the tire to 40 psi. Mostly two up riding. Combined Jessi and I weigh 310 lbs +-. Most cruising is done at 80 mph. Sometimes I'm doing 90.

We are VERY fortunate that the tire didn't completely fail. That would not have been fun at speed. I'll update once I hear back from Metzler and Cycle Gear.

I was surprised to see Made in Korea on my new Continental Road Attack a couple of years ago. I guess they're farming out production to the lowest bidder. Took a lot of lead to balance that tire.

Well Metzler, via Cycle Gear, got back to me. They don't want to honor any warranty for defect. Their two reasons for not doing anything are that I don't have the original bill of sale, and that the tire didn't have enough tread left on it.

The guy from Cycle Gear, Brad, was very cool and helpful. Since he was only the messenger the conversation was light and helpful. He gave me the number to Metzler so I can pursue this further with them. I now have to go and pick up the tire from cycle gear.

I think their two reasons for not honoring the warranty for a defect are bogus. Brad agreed that the tire has a defect, but he is not the one I have to convince.

More to come......

Last edited:
Well Metzler, via Cycle Gear, got back to me. They don't want to honor any warranty for defect. Their two reasons for not doing anything are that I don't have the original bill of sale, and that the tire didn't have enough tread left on it.

The guy from Cycle Gear, Brad, was very cool and helpful. Since he was only the messenger the conversation was light and helpful. He gave me the number to Metzler so I can pursue this further with them. I now have to go and pick up the tire from cycle gear.

I think their two reasons for not honoring the warranty for a defect are bogus. Brad agreed that the tire has a defect, but he is not the one I have to convince.

More to come......

Please keep us updated... cant really how they can try to claim either as the 'reason' behind what we see in the photo.

That looks more like a fellow TWT mistook your tire for a plate of pie.:eat:

That's bizarre - especially that it would go unnoticed while riding...

Dave.

Wow, that really sucks. I am now glad I bought Avon and Bridgestone on my last two tire purchases.

Dont be afraid to tell Metzler that there is a large group of active riders here at TWTEX (and other forums, Im sure) that are waiting to hear their response.

I know I would have considered them in the past, and depending on how they deal with this, I may continue to look at their tires - But if they wont stand behind a clearly defective tire then I will never consider them again.

Lets be serious - old tires need replaced or failure can occur. But if it is going to fall apart then I dont want em. And from the looks of it, you should have been thinking of a new tire, but it looks like it has a decent amount of life left...

Your luck might change if you can get the bill of sale for that tire. just my .02

Have y'all ever seen a tire do this?

My fiance and I were on our way to get pictures done with the bike last weekend as part of a wedding photo shoot package. We get to the photographer's place and Jessi (my fiance) happens to look at he rear tire. This is what she saw. :eek2:

Not bad looking tire besides that one 'little' area. I don't think there is a question that it is defective. You are lucky not be be defective due to riding on it! Glad to hear that nothing real bad happened as a result!

If that was a ME880 I suggest doing a search on Metzeler ME880 failure. You are not alone in loosing a big chunk of tread.

I have used Metzlers for most of the 12 years I have ridden, and I have never seen a tire do that. That is definately a defect.

Good thing I'm giving the Michellin PR2's a try for my next tire. I almost went with the Z6 Metzler again.

Back