• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Got a ticket while visiting

jrod

Reaction score
So I was home (carrollton) visiting my family and looking for a job. On my way back to my folks house I was lit up by a moto officer. I was coming off the Hebron 35 overpass and my dads van picked up more speed than anticipated 55 in a 45. When I pull over the officer states
Officer "looks like your van picked up alittle speed coming down the hill."
Me "Yes sir it's not mine so I'm not quite used to it"
Officer "Thats OK it happens, Who does the vehicle belong to?"
Me " It's my dads I'm visiting from out of town"
Officer " What's gotcha in town, I see you got your lic out why don't find the isuance and reg for me"
Me "Yes sir here it is, I'm visiting my family and looking for a job thinking about moving back to Dallas" I had to dig for it car was a mess
Officer " Alright now let me get a look at your lic"
Me "Yes sir here you go"
At this point his get a little bigger
Officer "California huh" immediatley swipes my card throught the hand held "here's your ticket"
Me "Sir can you tell me how to handle this my flight home leaves in 2 days"
Officer "Sure here's a pamplet look at section 4 Deffered Disposition, Denton county has a nice program it will cost you a little than the citation fine but it keeps it off your record, your kinda paying for it go away, you can to it once a year, pretty good program you handle it over the phone or on the web page. Good luck with your job search drive safe watch your speed"

At this point I am bummed about the ticket but cool with legal bribery to keep it off my record.

So I get home and call the phone# provided and the lady on the other end of the line gets snotty as soon as she hears California ***!!
She proceeds to tell me that yes denton county has that program the city of carrollton does not recognize it. I tell here that I can't really defend myself because I am 1500 miles away. She tells technically I can defend myself I can fly back. I said that really does not make sense for me, can I send an affidavit in absentee. NO SIR IF YOU WANNA FIGHT US YUR GUNNA COME HERE AND DO IN PERSON. :eek2:
That was the end of that conversation. After much resaerch on the internet I found what she said no matter how rudely to be true. The judge in charge of carrollton city traffic expressidly denies out state drivers from praticipating in Deffered Disposition. Just think it sucks sorry about the rant and long read but I am now stuck with elevated insurance rates as if they were not high enough out here already.
Rant Over

If being a pain in their collective *** is worth the price to you, get yourself a ticket lawyer and have him tie it up in red tape for as long as possible. I don't know much about how such dealings work across state lines, but I have an attorney I work with on every single ticket I get.

In essence, I'm looking to cause the court as much trouble as is humanly and legally possible. I'm not just gonna mail them a check like a good little slave. But then again, that's just me.

Here's a story about the last ticket I got, with a resolution followup further down in the thread. I ended up with a reduced fine, reduced deferment time, and the ticket was kept off my record without having to take one of those stupid driving courses:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33998

Getting cited for a measly 10 over doth sucketh. Good luck for a positive outcome. :thumb:

Sorry about the ticket.

[admin hat]

I am going to go ahead and get the warning out here right now. These kinds of LEO/Ticket threads have a history of going bad fast. If you want to start ranting about LEO's, tickets, revenue, blah blah blah... save it! I get tired of having to lock these threads :roll:

Carry on... :zen:
[/admin hat]

Too bad the Texas state government has a monopoly on gambling. We could take bets on how long until...

threadlock.jpg

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I dont know what happened to defensive driving as a ticket alternative , it used to be the option . I guess the local jurisdictaion gets to keep more of the money from defered ajudication . DD used to be on the books as the alternative and could be handled compleatly thru the mail . I cant swear about out of state but I know it was accetable for countys a long way from home . SEYA

Consider appealing it to county court..You can do that without having to appear and you may very well not ever hear from them again..You have nothing to lose and it will at least tie it up for a long time..

Fortunately, this has nothing to do with the LEO, really. Just the judge and the snotty admin. Sounds like the officer was a good guy and tried to help you out. Best of luck with it. A ticket is always a bummer.

I think defensive driving is still an option for this. You can set it up by phone and I believe you can do the course online.

I know you used to have to get a special box from a local store to hook to your phone line, but I am not sure that is still required.

I would check it out if I were you.

Absolutley no problem with the officer, my problem is with the uneven application of the law and the snotty attitude of the admin as soon as they heard the word California, everything was nice and polite until then. I paid the ticket, my agent says my probaly will just "forget to pull a new DMV" when renewal time comes, and if it does catch up to me we will adjust my coverages to offset the damage.
You would think with the economy in the crapper the (counties) would be all about granting DD because it is 150% on the citiation. This would bring alot of funds into the county coffers. Oh Well. Not coming back for awhile. My wife is not willing to give up her job or the California weather.
BTW I'm having a sell on defective Californians, Buy 1 get 2 free!:lol2:
Need to clean up this state.

Have Mon n Dad look up a Traffic Defense lawyer here locally and send the ticket to him/her. Let them do the leg work and get your Defferred for you. Lawyers don't let clerks push them around.

DAMHIK

Have Mon n Dad look up a Traffic Defense lawyer here locally and send the ticket to him/her. Let them do the leg work and get your Defferred for you. Lawyers don't let clerks push them around.

DAMHIK

That sounds good but most lawyers are extremely polite to the clerks cuz they can cause you a bunch of problems. The court doesn't have to allow Deferred, they do it just to get more cash. I can see why they wouldn't issue Deferred to out of state violators.

I would contact a good traffic lawyer and get some good legal advice. I guess you could just not pay it. Dunno if CA DPS runs a full search when it is time for your DL renewal ?

Here's the deal with speeding tickets involving out of state drivers (as I remember it from years ago).

IF you have a Texas driver's license

AND

You are driving a vehicle registered in the state of Texas, the worst they can do is issue a summons to appear in court (unless the speed is "excessive" as directed by the Motor Vehicle Code).

HOWEVER;

IF you have an out of state license

OR

You're driving a vehicle that's registered out of state, you can be arrested on the spot and have your vehicle impounded so they can transport you to make you post a bond.

The reason? Out of state drivers are less likely to appear in court than Texas-licensed drivers.

Yes, getting a ticket sucks (I paid my dues over Memorial Day weekend to the County of McLennan) but it could have been much more inconvenient.

I had an insurance agent tell me the only time they run your record is when you apply for a new policy or file a claim . SEYA

Your insurance agent may have been speaking for HIS company, as that is CERTAINLY not true of all of them. I've had insurance companies that I KNOW have pulled my record EVERY year at renewal.

Back